Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help me identify this thing

Stormcrow

I swore off UM, but now I'm back, because I've asked a million different people and none of us can figure out what this thing is.

I won't post pictures here, they're fairly disturbing, I'll email them to whoever wants to have a look. The pictures are after it has died, but while it was living I did get a good look at it, so while the pictures are not entirely good representations (given decomposition has begun), I do remember.

When I saw it first, yesterday, before I saw the paws, I assumed it was a rabid fox. It was breathing deeply and coughing, and couldn't stand.

Then I thought it was a fox that someone had spray painted, because its fur was matted and sticky and left a black residue on the ground.

We finally deducted that it got into a vehicle and got into some oil, and was possibly injured in the same vehicle or on the road.

It is *not* a fox, raccoon, skunk, opposum, cat, dog, or other native species to my area (south central Kentucky) that I can find via books and online catalogs -- UNLESS it is a deformed individual. I assume that it is young. What I did get to see of one eye it was lightly colored, possibly blue or a light green.

It is just smaller than a cat, probably a foot and a half from nose to flank. Tail is small, six inches, furry but not "bushy".

Head is small but has incredibly large, pointed, fox-like ears. Muzzle is somewhat short but also pointed, small canine teeth, extremely long whiskers.

Has monkey-like hands with short claws. Five toes on each limb, no pads. Fur stops above the wrist on the forelimb and above the knee on the hindlimb.

It's fur was entirely black (whether from the oil or not, we can't be for certain). The fur was also not very long, even being slicked down, the fur was shorter than a medium-furred cat.

Besides the paws, it had the exact body and head shape of a fox: There wasn't a lot of fur on the face, not a lot of cheek fluff like you'd see on a raccoon. The ears, I must really emphasize, were extremely large in relation to the head and pointed. The paws were like a raccoon's paws but completely void of fur.

Like I said, I'll email pictures, but I don't really want to post them here because they are kind of... gross.

We're taking pictures to a vet sometime this week and hope that they might be able to help. I buried the body so if a tissue sample was ever needed it's easily accessible.

Updated to include picture links:

http://i38.tinypic.com/143mdy0.jpg

Forelegs: http://i33.tinypic.com/330zll2.jpg

Hindlegs: http://i34.tinypic.com/2rc63ns.jpg

Edited by Saru
Added picture links

lezodiackiller@hotmail.com

Sent.

Just let me know if you would like more.

Email me via form or PM. I'm teaching summer camp now and I do have a wildlife biologist at my fingertips. Swede might know too.

Lapiche

Hi Crow, thanks for the pics....hell i don't know what it is....looks like a dog or a wolf...man, i don't know....hopefully one of the crypto expert will answer to your very interesting topic. thanks again, if you have more send me more, why not.

Sent to you also Piney, I hope that if you can't figure it out then you can get them to the biologist! If those don't do then I'll see if I've got anything else that might help.

Don't send it to me, because I'll offer you a logical explanation. You don't want to hear about that though, otherwise you would have posted the pictures publicly for scrutiny.

??? I didn't post them here because I don't want to offend anyone. Some of the pictures truly are disturbing; the face has fallen off and maggots are eating away at the eyes. If I were coming to a topic I wouldn't want that to be the first thing I saw just after breakfast. I've sent them to the three people that've posted -- if you don't want to offer an explanation, that's fine. But, if I didn't want a logical answer, then I certainly wouldn't have sent them to Piney. I have gotten a satisfactory answer from him, but I would like correlating answers to make the conclusion definitive. No need to be rude.

Edited by ebonycrow
  • Like 2

KRS don't be rude. If you don't want the pictures don't post, you just want attention. Have you ever heard the saying 'if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all? Absolutely no need it being like that, reminds me of a little kid being a pain.

Could you send them to me please, I'll have a bash, doubt I'll be much good though, but I'll try!

• Like 1

Hi ebonycrow! *waves*

Send them to me, too, please. I'm not exactly an "expert", but my fam and friends all come to me with questions about wildlife, so I might be able to help...Also, gross stuff doesn't squick me out very much...

Here's my email addy: scarletraven1000@gmail.com

Sent! Hope you guys can figure something out rofl.

EC!!!!!!!!!!

*huge hugs*

Glad to see you!

I'll have hubby take a look.

:) Missed you!

Nibs

NIBSSS!!!! *suffocates a little*

I admit, I missed you guys a little too. :( But the bickerin' was too much. I just hope this topic doesn't desolve into a ridiculous argument...

At any rate, sent the pics. :]

NIBSSS!!!! *suffocates a little*

I admit, I missed you guys a little too. :( But the bickerin' was too much. I just hope this topic doesn't desolve into a ridiculous argument...

At any rate, sent the pics. :]

*lets up*

I got the pics. No freaking idea what it is.

Sent off to "ist" guys.

I understand about the bickering. It's a bit much sometimes.

Nibs

Hi EbonyCrow! I missed you too!

Please e-mail me too: andrea@devilcatart.com

Thank you! xxx

without seeing the pics... maybe it was a mole? They got freaky hand like paws and are all black.. pointy nose and long whiskers...

Sent.

And, noooo, rofl, it's not a mole! :lol: My cat brings me those regularly.

Gonna show the pics (if u don't mind LOL) to my hubby. He's spent lots of time outdoors - hunting, fishing, just sitting there - and he might know what it is. I just can't figure it out.

Hope someone figures out what it is, EC...gotta be frustrating for you.

I don't mind! Share them with whoever if you think they'll have an idea. :)

wow, ive never seen anything like that before.

the only way to describe it is almost like a mix between a fox and a raccoon.

I was thinking maybe its an infant animal that hasnt come into its proper colours yet? The feet are strange, but you dont get to see alot of woodland creatures up close enough to notice the specifics of the feet and legs, so what could be a highly recognisable creature may have odd legs/paws we never noticed before...

However, I personally think it could be a young black fox.

Black Fox