Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help me identify this thing

Stormcrow

Fox paw.

3930416208_7d2ac8587c.jpg

It doesn't look like the paws in EC's pics.

Hmmm...

Maybe it's an undiscovered creature!!

EC - what will you call it?

Nibs

I was thinking maybe its an infant animal that hasnt come into its proper colours yet? The feet are strange, but you dont get to see alot of woodland creatures up close enough to notice the specifics of the feet and legs, so what could be a highly recognisable creature may have odd legs/paws we never noticed before...

However, I personally think it could be a young black fox.

Black Fox

That's what I thought too. However, even melanistic foxes have white tail tips and silver hackles, so besides the issue with the paws the coloration is still wrong.

Maybe it's an undiscovered creature!!

EC - what will you call it?

Nibs

I'll call it... THE MYSTERIOUS BLACK NIBCOON.

Edited by ebonycrow

If you send them along to me i'll have a look and see if its at all possible to post them up so that everyone can see them, its a bit awkward holding a discussion when not everyone can see what it is that's being discussed.

To those who are requesting a copy of the pictures i'd recommend sending your e-mail address via PM rather than posting it in the thread.

• Like 1

From the sound if it (maggots eating eyeballs and faces falling off) I 'm more than happy the pics aren't in the thread.

However, you should post a link to them with a warning - just don't post thumbnails or anything.

• Like 1

I'll post links to the pictures, but I really didn't want to post them because I don't know everyone's tolerance for looking at pictures of decaying animals. I know in my experience with topics like this, even if a link was posted, I'd inevitably click it and still make myself sick. These three aren't the worst, but I would still caution if you're iffy...

http://i38.tinypic.com/143mdy0.jpg

Forelegs: http://i33.tinypic.com/330zll2.jpg

Hindlegs: http://i34.tinypic.com/2rc63ns.jpg

I do have some better pictures of the hands and feet but they're considerably worse as far as decomposition goes.

Edited by ebonycrow

I'll post links to the pictures, but I really didn't want to post them because I don't know everyone's tolerance for looking at pictures of decaying animals. I know in my experience with topics like this, even if a link was posted, I'd inevitably click it and still make myself sick. These three aren't the worst, but I would still caution if you're iffy...

http://i38.tinypic.com/143mdy0.jpg

Forelegs: http://i33.tinypic.com/330zll2.jpg

Hindlegs: http://i34.tinypic.com/2rc63ns.jpg

I do have some better pictures of the hands and feet but they're considerably worse as far as decomposition goes.

Yeah those are acceptable enough to post up for everyone to see, i've updated the original post to include them.

Alrighty, and thanks. :) Any idea from you?

Edited by ebonycrow

crazy as it seems. i am leaning towards skunk. i know you expect the white back stripe. but there are other species. the most reason i figure this is the paws. they are padded and the nails are in such a way to designate a burrowing animal.

not fine and pointed as a fox or most north American predator types would be.

the only real problem i am having is with the teeth. but, ironically i would expect similar teeth with a raccoon .

so i am narrowing it down to an adverse species of skunk. usually almost always, you can get a good clue with the teeth of an unidentified animal. being the 'tools' it uses for living.

good luck hope you find the answer.

Any idea from you?

Sorry no, i've no idea what it is.

I think it's just a mixed breed little dog, probably someones little Fi-Fi that got lost. Where do you live?

Thanks for the pics ebony... not too gross. But yeah, I for sure stand corrected on the mole notion now that I've looked at the pics.

Looks like it might be a wolverine hybrid type animal. I like it. Do you mind sending me more pictures to comelive@aol.com?

Edited by comelive

crazy as it seems. i am leaning towards skunk. i know you expect the white back stripe. but there are other species. the most reason i figure this is the paws. they are padded and the nails are in such a way to designate a burrowing animal.

not fine and pointed as a fox or most north American predator types would be.

the only real problem i am having is with the teeth. but, ironically i would expect similar teeth with a raccoon .

so i am narrowing it down to an adverse species of skunk. usually almost always, you can get a good clue with the teeth of an unidentified animal. being the 'tools' it uses for living.

good luck hope you find the answer.

We ruled out some form of skunk last night. It's face shape and ears are completely different than marbled/spotted skunks or the regular striped skunks that are common around here. But before I screwed up the skin over the face, it was fox-shaped. Its ears are excessively large, pointed, and heavily furred. Think, kit fox ears. The pictures don't do them justice by a long road, but they are very, very big ears. I'll post close-ups of the hands and feet when I get home so that you can see how they're shaped better.

Edit: Here's a little closer view on the hands and feet, http://i33.tinypic.com/2d55j6.jpg

With a lot of the teeth missing I can't really give you a good idea of what sort of feeding behavior it might've had. What I do know for sure though was it had three lower insciors and two small canines that were relatively the same size -- the canine teeth were smaaaaall. I would guess, from what teeth I did see, it was some type of insectivore.

@ eqgumby: South central Kentucky. I would wager a mixed breed dog as well but the paws aren't dog-like at all. They're more like hands, they have more joints and have five digits and no dew claw.

@ comelive: I'll send you more pictures when I get home, it's a pain sending them from the work computer. :) So I know when I get there what to send you, what are you looking to see better?

Edited by ebonycrow

We ruled out some form of skunk last night. It's face shape and ears are completely different than marbled/spotted skunks or the regular striped skunks that are common around here. But before I screwed up the skin over the face, it was fox-shaped. Its ears are excessively large, pointed, and heavily furred. Think, kit fox ears. The pictures don't do them justice by a long road, but they are very, very big ears. I'll post close-ups of the hands and feet when I get home so that you can see how they're shaped better.

Edit: Here's a little closer view on the hands and feet, http://i33.tinypic.com/2d55j6.jpg

With a lot of the teeth missing I can't really give you a good idea of what sort of feeding behavior it might've had. What I do know for sure though was it had three lower insciors and two small canines that were relatively the same size -- the canine teeth were smaaaaall. I would guess, from what teeth I did see, it was some type of insectivore.

@ eqgumby: South central Kentucky. I would wager a mixed breed dog as well but the paws aren't dog-like at all. They're more like hands, they have more joints and have five digits and no dew claw.

@ comelive: I'll send you more pictures when I get home, it's a pain sending them from the work computer. :) So I know when I get there what to send you, what are you looking to see better?

No dewclaw at all? Hmmm...

The paws sure do look raccon-like.

The suspense is KILLING ME! The paws definitely look like a raccoon. But the animal itself looks nothing like one. I'm thinking it's not a new species or hybrid or any kind of crypto. I'm leaning toward an exotic pet that some idiot turned loose when they got bored with caring for it.

Again, the suspense is unbearable, won't someone in the know hurry up and enlighten us???

Sorry, not seeing the resemblance....

I take that back. I guess it could be a black raccoon, who am I to say it isn't, not being and expert and all. It's just the pics of that thing are REALLY black. Not like the pics on that site.

Edited by Pandora7321

No dew claw at all. They are very raccoon like, and even a black raccoon, the body and face is nothing like one. We used to have raccoons come over and steal the food I put out for the feral cats, and I got a good look at them every time. Just a glass door separated us, less than a foot. The ears are nearly twice the size as they're shown in the picture of the black raccoon. Like I said, think kit fox ears. I know the pictures don't show it very well, but they were tremendous. It was also solid black, no other color on it at all. Not even the slightest hint, and even being covered in grease from a vehicle, different shades would have still been visible on parts of the body.

(Edit, eventually I'll learn how to finish a sentence before I submit.)

Edited by ebonycrow

Could be a raccoon, but I'm searching the net and I can't find any pics that show one all black.

Ha, I searched pictures for an hour and a half last night and didn't come close.

Edit: There is a huge difference between a raccoon and fox skull. I would say by tomorrow night the flesh should be eaten off the bone, and if I can find a brave enough soul I'll have it dug up to compare. (It's also not as big-chested as a raccoon. It was very slender.)

Edited by ebonycrow

Could be a raccoon, but I'm searching the net and I can't find any pics that show one all black.

I'm doing the same thing and I can't either. They're called black, but that's in reference to the pattern color. Several of my family members had both black and tan raccoons as pets when I was growing up but I've never even heard of a fully black one.

The black raccoon pic I showed a few posts back may have a touch of gray around the face, but that's it. No rings. The feet on your critter are frighteningly raccoonish. That's where I'm keeping my money. A sickly raccoon.