Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The murder of Cheri Jo Bates

JonathanVonErich

Thanks a lot Puri, amazing stuff again...Even if some informations are not important to the case you still can share, it's always interesting.

You said you got "Daton"

I have found a place called Dalton, near Shaver Lake, in California. it's a little place where a lot of young people came to go to the Lake, came for camping... So it's very interesting. Shaver Lake is near Fresno, about 200 miles from LA.

Again it's a very interesting link. Cheri Jo's best friend was named Stephanie, sadly we don't know if she's still alive and if so where she lives. She told an investigator a long time ago that Cheri Jo had lots of friends, mostly female, and that she was very popular with boys, maybe the biology kid was another boy who had a crush on cheri Jo.

I found out that the "Jo" of Cheri Jo is for Josephine. So her complete name is Cheri Josephine Bates, if this can help.

Cheri had a dog, called Jiggs.

And you were right about maths, Puri...Stephanie or Joseph once told a reporter that she was a very good student, mostly in english, but she wasn't real good in maths. So great match Puri, you were right on.And yes she liked to read a lot. She liked novels.

Edited by JonathanVonErich

Even if hte guy had a crush, to me he was more of a friend if anything they had known eachother for a few years I want to say almost five exactly. But I don't think anyone really cares about that. If you got any other info you wish to give like pictures..or wish me to see something feel free to ask or inbox me.

Ok, thanks Puri.

I found this. In November 1967, a suspicious letter was received by the local newspaper, however its origin is unknown. No "Patricia Hautz" has been located.

unknownletter.jpg

What do you think, Puri ?? do you think it was a hoax or a letter written by one of the killer ?? Do you feel/see if "Patricia Hautz" was an alias for the woman who was there that night, or maybe even her real name ??

I know the person is alive as right away I got the word CA and now that this indeed was a real letter written by someone in CA..so in that way it was not a hoax..this person is very real. And is female. This patricia person though did not kill her, this seriously was just a concerned citizen if you will, probably actually studying in psychology and communications. This Patricia lady has no malintent, and is not anyone to be concerned of as in a possible murder suspect she is not. Hope that helps.

I believe she either died or moved though bc I was given the date of 1985, and another location to the east out near kentucky. Again I don't think this lady is of any concern.

Edited by puridalan

Ok, thank you Puri.

Here are two pictures of Cheri Jo's car. Notice Cheri Jo's library books on the passenger seats in the second picture.

vw2small.jpgvw3small.jpg

And this is a picture of the library, the day after her murder.

library5small.jpg

Sorry, they are very small pictures, i can't find bigger ones. Thanks to T. Voigt.

So i don't have a lot to share with you now, but i have two or three things on the way. Thanks for sharing what you see/feel Pur, at least we are talking about it. Some investigators are still trying to search for Cheri Jo's brother and her friend Stephanie.

Her name didn't happen to be Stephanie, Deloris...bc I just got a name of Deloris and was curious about that. Also there was a man's name I am getting called Pepsinger..it is not spelled exactly like that but sounds like pepsin haha like the anti-acid.

For some reason with the car, I was getting this address or place rather in two words Oakly Montague.

So the closest thing I got with that was Montague Ave Oakley CA 94561...that is about seven hours away from riverside..I believe

For soem reason that address kept popping up in my mind, also the house that I was seeing had a black motorcycle out front of the place, it had studs on it, ceretainly back in the day but I would again associate it more with the 80s look to it, and the house was one story, had terracotta like stucco to the outside off white creme colour, and had some orange/red small flowers onthe outside basket sills. That is what I actually got all from the car.

Okay this is going to sound weird, but I think in the car she actually had left some food that she had not eaten in the bottom passanger side of the car, it was like half of something that had not been eaten, if I am identifying correctly it is part of a peanut butter sandwhich. She also had some mannuels she was looking at, one of them was actually for her mother, in reguards to her mothers health..not sure what that was about, but she was actually worried about her mothers health for some odd reason.

Okay, this was the last alternative but I actually think I am right on asking where her body was specifically, she gave me an important address by the name of Colanda, I know this is spelled right because I asked her to spell it out for me very carefully, which wasn't easy but I believe this for some reason to be one of the most important addresses. Okay, well I did some research of my own the only Colanda..that it gave me on google maps was about an hour west of riverside. It was colanda investments, I then called the company up a few minutes ago, they told me their private business which is 100,000 sq feet did not exist until the 80s, but before that was a "miragh hotels". So this is odd because both the bike and the company are both in the 80s connection..so the next question is why is she making me see the 80s why is it so important with all these address that seem to releate to that even though she was killed in the late sixties. Perhaps that is where the killer moved to during those times, it is far enough aaway I would suppose. But that would be a place to certainly do some more research in hope that helps.

The library pic is really way to small to even get anything off of thanks thou

Thanks again.

We know her best friend was a girl named Stephanie....maybe Deloris was another friend, she had a lot of friends.

I have found a picture of Cheri Jo's former house at 4195 Via San Jose:

bateshousefrontlarge.jpg

I have found an article where the author say that Canyon Crest was a very popular spot for Students from RCC college, the college where Cheri Jo was a student. So it's a very interesting link, and i will search more about it. I still think Canyon Crest is a very important clue in the case. The more i'm looking into it the more i can find links between the place and Cheri Jo. I'll have more in the coming weeks. I have a lot of stuff to do at School, the pressure is unbelievable but i will find the time to look in the case.

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow, October 30, will be the 44 years "anniversary" of the murder of Cheri Josephine Bates. Cheri Jo lost her life 44 years ago at the age of 18. She was a girl with a very bright future ahead of her, she was a girl who loved life and loved people. She was a very good student, very serious, the kind of girl everybody like. She was a really nice person. Sadly the only thing she will be remembered for is for being the victim of this horrible crime, the victim of the only unsolved crime in Riverside history. I first read about the case 10 years ago, when i was 15 years old, and for some reasons this case has always been important to me. I can't believe this case has been cold for a long 44 years.....

So tomorrow try to have a thought for Cheri Jo and her family. She is more than a murder victim. She was a beautiful woman with a very bright future. Thanks folks.

PHOTO_8098956_119137_16673969_main.jpg

3154369_f260.jpg

So sad and no closer to knowing why this girl's life was taken all those years ago.

Ok, thanks Puri.

I found this. In November 1967, a suspicious letter was received by the local newspaper, however its origin is unknown. No "Patricia Hautz" has been located.

unknownletter.jpg

What do you think, Puri ?? do you think it was a hoax or a letter written by one of the killer ?? Do you feel/see if "Patricia Hautz" was an alias for the woman who was there that night, or maybe even her real name ??

J.V.E.--PURI.

See I kinda got a "taunting" feeling almost from the Patricia letter. To refer to a murder in a very small area of CA. --Riverside was much, much smalltown type thing in the late 60's--anyway it just seemed weird. Plus with Zodiac being known for taunting , I woulda leaned the other way. My Daughter's being one of the most precious things in my life.....it really spooks mme that PURI. got the killer stalking and lurking, with Cheri going on about the business of being a typical college girl. J.V.E.---didn't most of the Zodiac Female victims have Blonde or lighter colored hair. I don't recall if there were any physical similarities of the Female victims...maybe you do.

PURI,

Do you get that Zodiac was one single killer or more than one...maybe connected to each other or copycat? He felt very smug about never being caught until the day he died....didn't he?

Al

Al

Cheri Jo Bates hadblond hair when she was killed, however her natural color was dark brown.

Betty Lou Jensen, Zodiac's first female victim, had dark hair.

Darlene Ferrin, Zodiac's second female victim, had blond hair.

Cecelia Shepard, Zodiac's third female victim, had blond hair.

You have a very interesting theory but i don't think The color of the Hair was very important for Zodiac. But still maybe i'm wrong, we don't know a lot about the killer anyway....Anything is possible.

Nah bro.....I don't think he solely picked his victim by hair color, but many criminals have a particular type that seems to call to them. I thought if the other Zodiac Victims had blonde/light hair , that maybe it would just be another factor that would lend credence to Cheri Jo being a Zodiac victim. What is the class at U. that you will be talking about all that....Victimology? It sucks, I went back to college for a minute and my Admin. Of Justice Professor didn't get to Victimology before I had to quit!! --Bummer. <_<

You posted a few back ago about other freaks that were prowling the Riverside area at the time of Cheri Jo's murder huh?

Nah bro.....I don't think he solely picked his victim by hair color, but many criminals have a particular type that seems to call to them. I thought if the other Zodiac Victims had blonde/light hair , that maybe it would just be another factor that would lend credence to Cheri Jo being a Zodiac victim. What is the class at U. that you will be talking about all that....Victimology? It sucks, I went back to college for a minute and my Admin. Of Justice Professor didn't get to Victimology before I had to quit!! --Bummer. <_<

You posted a few back ago about other freaks that were prowling the Riverside area at the time of Cheri Jo's murder huh?

Well right now i study in Psychologie sociale, then it's gonna be Criminologie (Criminology.

Sorry for the college class, maybe you will have more chance next time if you go back.

Well Cheri Jo's murder is the most famous and only unsolved murder in the history of Riverside. However there is a case name "The Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders". Between 1972 and 1973 Santa Rosa, California experienced the killings of seven young women whose murders have never been solved. An eighth probable victim disappeared and her body has never been located. All of the victims were known to hitchhike, a popular mode of transportation during that time. Santa Rosa is near Riverside so some people think that maybe Cheri Jo was one of the first victim of the Santa Rosa serial killer, who was never caught. Personnaly i don't think Cheri Jo was killed by the Santa Rosa serial killer, but then again i can be wrong. Some people think that Zodiac was the Santa Rosa killer, some people think Arthur Leigh Allen was the Santa Rosa killer.....Sadly nobody know the answer.

a 'zodiac killer' never existed. the whole thing was a cover up by the vallejo PD to hide some sort of drugs ring.

a 'zodiac killer' never existed. the whole thing was a cover up by the vallejo PD to hide some sort of drugs ring.

Yeah i have heard of this theory. I'm sure the murder of Darlene Ferrin was drug related, she was dealing drugs at one point in her life and she wasn't really well liked by some people. However it's only a theory, In my opinion The Zodiac was a serial killer and not a cover up by the police, but it's a very interesting theory.

Yeah i have heard of this theory. I'm sure the murder of Darlene Ferrin was drug related, she was dealing drugs at one point in her life and she wasn't really well liked by some people. However it's only a theory, In my opinion The Zodiac was a serial killer and not a cover up by the police, but it's a very interesting theory.

the murder at berryessa is the flaw in my theory yet i beleive this was carried out by bruce davis - the manson family fella..

the murder at berryessa is the flaw in my theory yet i beleive this was carried out by bruce davis - the manson family fella..

It's a possibility my friend, even if after 10 years of research i think Bruce Davis is not the Zodiac, but again i can be wrong. That's what's so fascinating about the Zodiac Killer case, almost everything is a mystery, that's why the case is so popular. I first heard about the case 10 years ago, when i was 15, i have 3 books about the case, have/had many conversations via emails with some ex investigators in the case....It's by far the most fascinating case in the history of the United States, no doubt about that.

Soem of them dont have a specific type, they just pick the first thing they see..that happened to me one night, where there was no 'pre-stalking' it was total stranger out of no where, who attacked me while on my walk..so it can be just randomly that you happened to be at the wrong place wrong time haha. But erm I did have dreams over 5 yrs ago of a string of 10 women dead but that was not hte zodiac that was tha NJ killer and he did kill based on blonde hair, though I've seen each one kill for different 'reasons'. But heck gov't kills more people than any serial killer could dream of

Thanks for sharing Puri, shame a thing like that happened to you.

Well I don't think Cheri Jo was at the wrong place, wrong time, I still think she knew her killer(s), and i know you agree with that too. As for the Zodiac case...Hard to say. Some people think Zodiac knew Darlene Ferrin, some people think Zodiac knew Paul Stine....Hard to know the truth.

I would love to know more about the NJ serial Killer when you have time, Pur, all of this is very interesting, as always.

Other thing about the theory that Zodiac was a creation, was a cover up by the vallejo PD to hide some sort of drugs ring. The more i think about it the more i think it can't be true. i mean How do you explain the fact that The writing on Brian Hartnell's car and the writing of the letters were the same ??? How do you explain the killer at Berryessa wearing a hood with the Zodiac symbol on it if the killer nerver really existed ??? How do you explain the fact that Zodiac included a piece of Paul Stine's shirt in the letter he sent shortly after his murder ?? Some eyewitnesses saw the whole thing, there was really a killer that night, and that killer was really Zodiac since he included a piece of the Victim's shirt.

Again the theory is interesting but no evidence back it up. More evidences back the fact it was simply a madman, killing to satisfy a need and killing to be famous. The Zodiac wrote moe than 21 letters/cards over the years, here is the evidence, I know the police could have write them all but i don't think they did.

I know this is slightly off-topic but it just crossed my mind and I want to post it before I forget.

Have you ever noticed that the majority of the most infamous and widely reported cases of missing-persons and unsolved murders in Western society have victims who have very distinct things in common?

They are young.

They are female.

They are white.

They are middle-class or rich.

I wonder why? Hmmm? lol

Edited by Eldorado

I don't know if you were serious El (The "lol" at the end make me skeptical) but i think you have a great point. Well i think it's safe to say that most Serial Killers are loners who have a hard time finding a girlfriend, having a hard time to have normal sexual intercourse, and have a hard time having a social life...My point is that the Young, attractive, middle-class female is something the loner/killer desire but can't have, so in his mind it's only logical for him to kille her, to kill what he can't have, that way NOBODY will have her and he won't feel rejected or he won't feel alone and like a loser when he see her walking down the street.

Only my point of view. Sound simple but i think i might be right.

I was making the point, JVE that the mass-media are more interested in, and highlight more, cases where the victims tick all the right boxes, i.e. being white, female, young and middle class.

A story of a poor, black boy being missing presumed murdered does not have the same impact, sadly.

Edited by Eldorado

I was making the point, JVE that the mass-media are more interested in, and highlight more, cases where the victims tick all the right boxes, i.e. being white, female, young and middle class.

A story of a poor, black boy being missing presumed murdered does not have the same impact, sadly.

Oh i see El, yeah great point, i read articles and saw some debate about that. Yeah, seems the media are more interested of talking about white, middle class victims than black or latin-american victims who live in poverty. I think you are 200% right and think you have a great point, and you are not off-topic, i think you have a great point my friend.

That is a very good point Eldorado. It took a very long time and a lot of missing kids before the Atlanta Child Killer was taken seriously. I still wonder if they got the right guy there.