Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tapping sounds around the room

cnidocyte

Whenever I'm in an intense mindset I notice things start tapping around the room. Its an innocuous sound that doesn't sound out of the ordinary but the strange part is there is no reason that random things should be making tapping noises. I've noticed it most often in electronic devices. I'll be sitting them and I hear a loud sound come from the DVD player, almost like a stone hit it but it sounds like its coming from inside the device. Other people have noticed this too and confirmed that its pretty weird. I've also noticed it happen with walls and doors. Happened to my front door once, my granny was sitting in the room and when she heard it she had a look of shock on her face, probably because it wasn't a sound that could be made by someone knocking or throwing a pebble at the door so it was very out of the ordinary for a sound like that to randomly come from the door. I ran to the door and opened it to see if anyone was around but there was nobody. Funnily enough something similar happens to my dad when he is in intense mindsets. Lights flicker around him. Thats a more common thing, thats called sliding. I've never heard of this random noise thing though. The sound always appears to originate from a single point and in some rooms I noticed it will predominantly come from one area. For example in my old house, I'd be in the TV room a lot and it seemed to always come from the DVD player. In my bedroom now it seems to come from under my desk. I have a laptop on the table but I never heard anything come from it, I can't pinpoint where the sound in my bedroom comes from but its the same kinda tapping sound. I stayed the night in a friends house once and it was coming from his projector. Can anyone here relate to this?

• Like 1

Something that happens to me is that in the dead of night when I can't fall asleep, I'll hear this odd sound. I usually attribute it to various electronices whirring but the thing is that I never notice them unless it is extremely silent and I'm trying to fall asleep. I sometimes imagine that its the sound silence makes :lol: I also remember the sound whenever I read "the silence was deafening".

The tapping is odd especially since others can hear it too. This would mean its not all in your head. Do other people hear the tapping when alone or do you have to be with them? One of the more mundane things you can look into is windows and like. Also you could try getting rid of the desk and see if the tapping has shifted. You could also ask your friend if you can take apart the projector :tu:

Hopefully you figure out whats going on and when you do tell us.

-Trix

I have the same thing, especially when things go quiet (kind of what was stated above). Whether im outside, or inside, you sure can hear better and hear more.

• Thanks 1

Maybe termites or ants? they tend to make noise like that and you can't really hear until its quiet.

I've heard this as well. Happens to my TV in my room. I always thought that it was gravity somehow influencing the parts inside the TV but I'm not sure.

Similar to the sound ice makes when it starts to crack up....Yeah I have some familiarity with the experience though is it actually the first time I have ever discussed the matter on the internet....I feel it is related to telekinetic ability.

By conducting a search upon "Paranornal and hearing tapping sounds." are also other opinions

Edited by Virtual Particle

Have also considered, that is could have something to do? With those who know things about the future.

Any thoughts?

• 4 years later...

I've noticed it most often in electronic devices. I'll be sitting them and I hear a loud sound come from the DVD player, almost like a stone hit it but it sounds like its coming from inside the device

Some of the sounds can be debunked, since electronics tend to make sounds as the parts expand and contract due to temperature fluctuations. The problem with debunking all of them is that sometimes the items are off for hours and in the middle of the night we will still hear loud whacks coming from them. I've also actually seen a shadow being in front of the dresser that has the TV and all of the electronics on it. It had its "hands?" on the boxes and was looking at the blank TV screen. So whatever entities seem to be exploring our home, also seem to be very interested in electronics. We will also often hear loud bangs coming from our dressers. They aren't soft taps. It seems like they are intended to get our attention, keep us awake, or wake us up in the middle of the night.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

cnidocyte any update?

I doubt if you'll get a reply. The OP hasn't been active on this site since Sep 06 2010

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I joined this message board so I could respond to your post cnidocyte. I have a very similar experience to you. I sometimes think about intense or disturbing things and breathe intensely but quietly. I can feel my body twitch internally as I breathe but no one around me seems to be able to see it or hear it. I've asked my sisters and close friend. However, when I feel this way, I hear tapping around the room, from the walls or ceilings I'm not really sure, and people around me can hear it too. It happens when I twitch while breathing intensely. Your the first person who I've ever heard of having a similar experience. I have some theories on what it could be. It honestly disturbs and weirds me out a lot. I wonder if a dog or cat can somehow sense the sound or vibration in a house or apartment in the neighborhood through electric wires or some type of plumbing or gas pipes that connect the houses and they're responding by tapping or pressing on the ground. It would be so great if you respond. I'd really like to talk about it with you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the final months of my father's life, he insisted that there were 'voices' inside the walls of his room. He also said, "I know you'll think I'm going crazy, but it sounds like there are firecrackers going off in my bed." He was insistent about these things and there was never a less superstitious or fanciful man than my dad. Since he passed, I've read that both of these events are, if not common occurrences, they are, at least, not uncommon among people who are terminally ill--, particularly those like my father, who, at 86, had chronic, serious issues like congestive heart failure, which he had for many years before dying of it. It was only in the last six months or so of his life that he began hearing these noises. They did not seem to frighten him particularly, and when I asked if he wanted to be moved to another room, he declined.

My take on it is that as the veil begins to lift between this world and the next, some people hear or see things that no one else can. For those who are not elderly or terminally ill, I would assume that it is a sign of some psychic ability that most people don't have.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I have this issue, but nothing to do with electronics. This happens in my bedroom and I have zero electronic in there. It started a year ago. I want a sound explanation as there HAS to be science behind it, right?

It's intense tapping. It'll wake me up. It'll go away when i ask it to. It orginates at one part of the room and moves around. It'll happen whether I'm in bed, sleeping, awake, standing somewhere else, or sitting down.

My boyfriend has heard it and experienced it stopping with me asking. He has experimented thinking that it's the bed that makes the sound but after countless efforts of shaking it, it did not make the sound start or stop.

It comes and goes. I try not to think about it. When I remember it was there, it happens. Lately it begins to originate in my headboard. One night I swear to goodness that the tapping was exactly mimicking the tune of my daughters sleep aquarium song. It may be moarse coding me, it goes tap tap tap, quickly then stops and does more quick tapping and then goes slow.

We're also experiencing crazy emotions in this house, my bf has been laid off and is extremely angry, angier than usual often causing him to not sleep with me up there so I experience these things alone while I sleep up there with my baby. I left for a week and when I returned, the tapping was extremely intense, he heard it too. It was intense for two days after I returned happening during the night and early hours of the morning and during the day when I was up there like something was welcoming me back.

I'm wondering if maybe an energy has manifested due to high anxiety and anger in my home but I don't know why it would be messing with only me and why it wouldn't want me to sleep.

One thing to mention, and I'm removing it today, is that I swear my grandmas house was haunted and my whole family will agree with me - but I have my deceased grandfathers rocking chair which came from that house. I just moved it into my room for the baby. It used to be in my sons room and he never slept through the night until I removed it. Since the chair has been in my room it's been weird and the tapping began. So...I'm getting it out of here and I will update this post if that helps.

If it does help, I'm getting my ass to a psychic lol because I've felt uncomfortable a few times in my room, enough times to feel like I have some sort of openness to hearing things that I don't want to believe.

• 5 months later...

I can't believe someone else is experiencing the exact same thing as me and my Wife!

Admittedly we have an old house, but we've always had them and are very familiar with frost, ice, expansion, contraction, pipes, birds in chimneys, critters in walls etc but this.....this is something reall weird.

A loud tapping comes from one bedroom only, the one we sleep in, and emanates mainly from a singular area around a TV that's not plugged in or connected. The sounds come as 1 then a further 2 quite audible taps but last night was madness - it really woke us both with a massive start. The same three 'taps' were like a metal pole being banged against  iron and SO loud. Like you the weirdest thing of all is that when, like last night, i shout for God's sake shut up....it does!

Don't know what to do. I've had the flooring up and removed all electrical items, TV that is, but it is still happening, only now seems to be getting more aggressive.

When we first moved here there was a smell of tobacco, which we narrowed down to pipe tobacco, that followed us around the whole house and appeared at randon in different areas and at differing times of the day and evening. Once I did some research I narrowed down all the former owners (all shopkeepers as we are) and everything pointed to a particular Lady. we thought that must be wrong but were advised by historians that women shopkeepers in the 18th and 19th centuries invariably smoked pipes! However I'm a pragmatist and practical sort of person but after exhausting what I feel is every possible realistic avenue I'm left with what I can only say is - unexplained.

Love to know if anyone can help 'cos it's REALLY getting on my nerves now after 2 years!!

I really wanted this to stop and it since has. Like you said when you got mad and asked it to stop, it does. That's exciting!

I would first suggest checking your bed frame.  I know, I know, it can't be that. But try seeing if there is anything loose.

when we moved our bed to clean a circular piece from the frame fell out and it was warn out. 

hi and thanks. tried that but nothing awry. Still tapping and banging intermittently but seems to happen at any time - no pattern to it - just maddening and now we're wired cos we can't sleep!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a strange tapping sound it seems to come from not electronics but a picture of a dead realitive and it scares me i live in a old house and others can hear it to but I mostly hear it when im alone alot of people in my family belive that my house is haunted but idk it is comforting to know that others experience this too but im bery scared

Edited by Jemstarbluebleh

Nothing to worry about. It's just the spirits of fake psychics who in life defrauded people of their money. They are damned for eternity to wander the Earth rapping on things without a single penny for a reward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Nothing to worry about. It's just the spirits of fake psychics who in life defrauded people of their money. They are damned for eternity to wander the Earth rapping on things without a single penny for a reward.

If I have learned anything when it comes to the paranormal and supernatural, the answer is always demons. No matter what it's a demon out for someone's soul. Even aliens are demons, the ghost of someone pet cat fluffy is a demon. Everything is a demon.:lol:

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If I have learned anything when it comes to the paranormal and supernatural, the answer is always demons. No matter what it's a demon out for someone's soul. Even aliens are demons, the ghost of someone pet cat fluffy is a demon. Everything is a demon.:lol:

Preachin' to the choir, pal. I married one.

• 1 month later...

Some time ago I experienced hearing tapping sounds, only at night, that sounded like someone tapping a broomstick on the ceiling about every five seconds or so.   The sound would get close. fade away then get close again.  This went on three or four times a week.   Finally the last night I heard it I had just gone to bed but had not started to go to sleep yet.   I sat up in bed and said "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus and command you to leave" three times.   I never heard the noise in that home again.

I talked about that on another message board and someone said it may have been a demon, and probably would not bother me again since I knew the power in the name of Jesus.

Okay so my house has been haunted for as long as I can remember. It’s not a very old house, but it’s built on top of the old pilgrimage trails from way back in the early days of America. 

I know you’ll say what ensues is all my fault (which I don’t disagree with) when I say that years ago I used a ouija board in my home. There was always weird things happening, lights, TVs, fans turning on. Footsteps upstairs when nobody was there. Doors opening, etc. I decided to use the spirit board when I was taking a picture in the mirror of my moms room and upon reviewing it later, I saw a silhouette of a young girl in a dress. It was so strange to me but when I used the board, I encountered a spirit named Rita and she claims she’s 6 years old. A couple years later, I used a board again with a different friend, and she didn’t know anything about the first encounter. Again, we met with a 6 year old Rita. We’ve come accustomed to the fact that Rita lives alongside as, and sometimes even joke about it when strange things happen. 

**note: the first boards I used were homemade out of cardboard.

A few weeks ago, I bought an actual ouija board for the first time. Me and the same friend from the second time used it and spoke with Rita again. It’s not weird to me at this point, we also used the board 2 other times in other places. But we follow all the rules when we use it. This is the first time that I have kept the board and store it in my room. I don’t plan on getting rid of it because I like using it.

But as of lately, there have been SO MANY tapping noises in and around my room! I talked to my mom about it and she said she never hears them and they must be all in my room! They happen randomly at all times of the day and night. Sounds like someone is tapping once on the wall with their finger, but the sound comes from within the wall. It happens on every wall that surrounds my room. It also happens in my closet door, in my dresser, and also my TV. My bathroom shares a wall with my room and EVERYTIME when I am in the bathroom, the walls tap in there too. 

One night. I was texting my friend and I heard 9 taps on the wall in a matter of 15 minutes. And I told her that through text. The more I started texting her about it, the more it kept happening. It would happen on the wall behind me, then my closet, then the wall opposite me, then my dresser, closet, to, dresser, dresser, wall, closet, tv, 

OH IT JUST HAPPENED NOW WHEN I WAS TYPING THIS

I kept telling my friend every time I would hear it and it seemed like it was circling me or something. Very strange. I’ve attempted to mess with my closet doors, and I don’t see any reason it would make a noise like that, or any noise at all for that matter (it’s a sliding closet door)

*wall just tapped behind me

One night I (just tapped again) 

One night I was in the middle of dead sleep and my closet tapped so loud that it woke me up. And I’m a pretty heavy sleeper. It happened 3 times that night. 

So the tapping continues all the time, (my dresser just tapped) all hours of the day, and the night, when I pay more attention to it, it seems to happen more. So I sometimes try to pretend I don’t hear it and just ignore it, but it seems like something so strange and it’s hard to ignore! 

Edited by MegLit

On 2/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, Brandy333 said:

Some time ago I experienced hearing tapping sounds, only at night, that sounded like someone tapping a broomstick on the ceiling about every five seconds or so.   The sound would get close. fade away then get close again.  This went on three or four times a week.   Finally the last night I heard it I had just gone to bed but had not started to go to sleep yet.   I sat up in bed and said "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus and command you to leave" three times.   I never heard the noise in that home again.

I talked about that on another message board and someone said it may have been a demon, and probably would not bother me again since I knew the power in the name of Jesus.

It doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you believe in it.

I used the LBRP, Middle Pillar Exercise, and Goetic Seals...and everything got gone just the same.