Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious scarring on my back

Agent K

About a year ago I went to get in the shower and noticed three (one of them is broken in the middle) long, deep into the skin, horizontal scars in the middle my back. They were bright pink then, but are now purple. Then my mother and doctor said it looked like someone had burned me or wiped me. My doctor was unsure, but unconcerned.

I have been trying to do some research on this on my own today. So before you all say what you think might have caused it, let me explain why that can’t be.

I have NOT had any sudden growth spurts so they are NOT stretch marks, although they have a similar appearance of them. I weigh about 100 pounds steadily, give or take a pound or two, for the past three years, and I have never weighed one pound over 105 so it is not brought on by sudden weight gain or lose. I am not anorexic. I eat every meal. I am 5’8 now, one inch taller then last year and only two inches taller then the year before. (5’8 = 17, 5’7 = 16, 5’6 = 15, 5’4 = 14) No sudden growth spurt...

I have great posture. I walk with my shoulders back and head up high, and when I sit on a chair with no back, my back is straight.

Also, about a year before the scars appeared I had a strange back pain that came on with nothing happening that could have brought it on(such as vigorous activity or weight lifting). The pain was so sever that I could stand no pressure(not even a sheet) on my back. My back was not red, although it looked a little swollen. Anything touching my back would send my crying and trying to get away. The ER just gave me heavy duty pain meds and the only way the pain went away was after my mom got some church group to pray over it… Even though the scars appeared nine month later, could sever back pain somehow cause it?

The scars have been here about a year so I decided to take the question a bit farther. So here it is. All answers welcome as long as the are serious and your approach to the cause is medical or spiritual.

P.S. I've never had a ghost experience or woke up sweating. I rarely dream and don't have a history of sleep walking, and if I did, the slightest sounds wakes my mother up so she would know. Also Spiritual answers are optional if you haven't a logical one.

Edited by Agent K

That sounds really weird...

You wanted something spiritual so here is what I think (I am not a reall spiritual person so I am not sure either if my answer is spiritual:))

You could have been sleepwalking and do some weird things... Or I know this sounds strange but It could have been something to do with... I don't know how I should say it Maybe you had something like a ghost experience.... Maybe they use you for something... Did you had strange dreams or wake up sweating etc.

P.S. Me personally don't really believe it but who knows... I am open for a lot of things...

P.S. 2 Welcome to the forum and I hope you find your answer :rolleyes:

Edited by Wolfpower

Might be spiritual, I guess, if they are real. If you have witch doctors, try going there, unless the cost would be over $15, whether fake or not, it is fun. XD

Might be spiritual, I guess, if they are real. If you have witch doctors, try going there, unless the cost would be over $15, whether fake or not, it is fun. XD

:P I agree with your post more then with my.... :blush:

:P I agree with your post more then with my.... :blush:

Three scratches are said to be a sign of a demonic force. If you subscribe to that sort of thing.

Go show a priest the scars. Again, if you subscribe to that sort of thing.

Really sounds like stretchmarks to me. Ive had a couple of them appear without any seeming cause...

Really sounds like stretchmarks to me. Ive had a couple of them appear without any seeming cause...

This. I have quite a few stretch marks unfortunately, even some across my spine as well. A weird place to have them, but it happens.

Edit: Just top clear things up, you do NOT have to have a growth spurt/sudden weight loss/sudden weight gain to get stretch marks. Some people just acquire them for no apparent reason.

Edited by Andami
  • Like 3

I find it both interesting and disturbing that nothing was really done when you experienced the severe pain beyond throwing pain meds at it.

From personal experience I know that you don't have to do strenuous exercise or lift heavy objects to experience back pain. I have had the muscle between my shoulderblade and spine pulled into some awkward and painful positions while sleeping. Of course my pain was nothing to yours, just making an observation. :)

Is there any way we might see a photograph of these marks? That might help in determining the cause.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I would like to tell you that your description of these scars perfectly describes the scars on my back. Though I never had the severe pain to the touch that meant i couldnt be touched. I have had, back pain/ache before scarring. I didnt even know they were ther till one day my dad saw them and asked what the hell had happened. I had no idea at all. They are deep red/purple there are 3 horizontal lines broken and stepped. My dad used to be an army medic and thought I had been burnt wipped or branded and quized me for ages as to how they got there. Had Hurt myself leaned against the log burner and too worried to tell him what I had done. Of course I had not done anything at all. I just cant/have no explanation for them. Recent films about alien abduction etc had me very freaked out which is why we have been looking on the internet for answers. I have had them for a number of years. This is no joking and reading your post had freaked me out that another person has the same mysterious scarring.

My slender son has the same type of marks and they're obviously stretch marks. He also never had an extreme growth spurts either. Delicate skin, especially if you're naturally pale I think, shows up these things more.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It sounds quite interesting.

Maybe, if you believe in past lives, something happened around the same age that you are right now that happened back then, and somehow transferred through onto you.

I thought I read somewhere that sometimes that kind of stuff can happen... Past lives can randomly align with this life, and give us strange injuries.

The closest I can get to what happened to you, was once my knee randomly started to swell and I couldn't bend it. But random injuries that seem to have no source happen all the time.

Yours though, you mentioned your mother prayed for your back to feel better... Maybe it's an evil spirit or poltergeist. Or just a malevolent spirit following you around.

I'm not too sure, but it is quite a mystery.

• 2 months later...

I have the same thing on my back and my mom asked me if I had been burned or whipped as well.. They are scars I'm positive I have heard rumors of them bein a demonic symbol if you could find a demonic symbol with 3 horizontal lines that would be great

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is way later, but i have experienced the exact same thing on my back. They're three long indent scars across my back on the places the my bras would sit, so my upper back. I recall them appearing after sleeping with my bra on.. weird... ive searched and searched to see if anyone else has ever been scarred from sleeping with their bra on..nothing came up, so now im wondering if it may be something difficult, theyve been there for a few years now around 3/4, i havent seen a doctor or anything, i doubt its something serious or detrimental to my health, however theyre really unattractive so i choose not to wear low cut backs, or show my back at all because they look harsh/weird. If you have any suggestions on how to get rid of them...im more than open :yes: :yes: :yes:

Hi, I know this is way later, but i have experienced the exact same thing on my back. They're three long indent scars across my back on the places the my bras would sit, so my upper back. I recall them appearing after sleeping with my bra on.. weird... ive searched and searched to see if anyone else has ever been scarred from sleeping with their bra on..nothing came up, so now im wondering if it may be something difficult, theyve been there for a few years now around 3/4, i havent seen a doctor or anything, i doubt its something serious or detrimental to my health, however theyre really unattractive so i choose not to wear low cut backs, or show my back at all because they look harsh/weird. If you have any suggestions on how to get rid of them...im more than open :yes: :yes: :yes:

Well if they're in the same place your bra would sit, and you got them after sleeping with a bra on, I think it is pretty clear that they are caused by your bra. If you sleep with your bra off and they don't appear, then there ya go.

• 1 month later...

I wish I could offer some advice, but I have had similar things happen to me except not on my back. I've woken up covered in sweat/exhausted to find random bruises and scratches on my thighs, calves and arms and I have no idea why. As far as I know I don't sleepwalk. It's not consistent, it only happens occasionally. There's no way I could do it to myself.

I had something similar happen to me after a bout of sleep paralysis (if you're spook-inclined you know what this means doho), though mine was a slash right below one of my ribs. Already looked healed up by the time I woke up.

Then I had forgotten about it, and it happened again on the other side a few months later. Perfectly symmetrical, weird stuff. They're both gone now but I have a few dots of psoriasis that still erupt from the same areas.

Hopefully I still have all of my organs... (or maybe even a few extra hehe)

Man I had always hoped I'd fly under the aliens/demons/what have you's radar.

• 4 months later...

I know you sent this out a long time ago but I have scars that came from nowhere just like you described except I have 8 horizontal scars across my lower back and 3 of them are broken up. I have had them checked by multiple doctors and all of them have confirmed they are not stretch marks and I have been question by a lot of people if I was whipped or something. They started out pink but now they are usually purple and I have never hurt my back or had back problems in any way. but this is where it gets weird MY DAD HAS THE EXACT SAME SCARS AS ME. SAME PLACEMENT SAME NUMBER AND EVERYTHING except his are fading away from age and now my younger brother is also starting to get them but he only has three so far but the three are in about the same placement as my own. What the hell is this because I can't find any research on it!!!!!!!

Welcome to the club, Hoogie! And please stick around--this thread already has four people who posted once and never returned. Actually, going off that, unexplained marks might be pretty common. They could have some hereditary component. As long as they aren't unusually sensitive and you can keep them covered, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Does your dad have any history of back problems?

Until i see photographic evidence of these marks, i am going to reserve judgment

• Like 2

Until i see photographic evidence of these marks, i am going to reserve judgment

Honestly, even then i'd have my doubts about their origins.

• Like 2

With five people on this thread, counting the OP, that have one post and all have the same marks I'm going to say it is a case of..what's the word I'm looking for...oh yeah, bull****.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have eight thin scars on my middle and lover back. Two of them are slightly angled, but they are all in a perfect line and are sort of a pink color. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened to me, and I don't have a reasonable explanation for their occurrence. I did find that a test was conducted in India, and 49 out of some 2900 had unexplainable scars on their backs. Some people say it's growth spurts, and that may be possible for me, but it's not that likely. I hope this may help.

Ps: I am 17, and 5'8

Edited by Adprince