Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Large crevice confuses residents

Still Waters

It's a geological phenomenon that has both authorities and Menominee Township residents scratching their heads. A large crevice, stretching almost two football fields, suddenly appeared in the woods near Birch Creek earlier this week.

"I don't know really. It just looks like a giant crack in the ground," said young spectator and local resident, Ashley Armbrust. "I don't know what happened."

The 150-yard crevice is puzzling local residents. Some areas are up to five feet deep and a few feet across. The ground even rose up several feet in some areas around the crevice, causing trees to lean on both sides.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susieice

• Eldorado

• Purplos

• hellozebra

Top Posters In This Topic

*If this article is already posted, my apologies. I did search before posting.*

A large crevice, stretching almost two football fields, suddenly appeared in the woods near Birch Creek

The 150 yard crevice is puzzling local residents. Some areas are up to five feet deep and a few feet across. The ground even rose up several feet in some areas around the crevice, causing trees to lean on both sides. Like the spectators, property owners feel the whole thing is just confusing.

source

The problem being, who is going to buy your house at a good price, once it is common knowlegde its on unstable ground? Unless you have a lot saved away, moving would be difficult.

Time for a conspiracy theroy about the world breaking in half and its the governments fault or something.

Time for a conspiracy theroy about the world breaking in half and its the governments fault or something.

Earth crust displacement!

They said the ground around the crack raised 5 or more feet in some places in less than 24 hours. I'd be worried what was trying to come up through the ground. Maybe a really old volcano waking up or something.

I'd be wondering what was under there too. Could have been a vent for underground gases or anything. I don't know if there are any fault lines around the region. They mentioned a boom but not any movement. Sink holes as far as I know just go down but can be rather large.

I'd be wondering what was under there too. Could have been a vent for underground gases or anything. I don't know if there are any fault lines around the region. They mentioned a boom but not any movement. Sink holes as far as I know just go down but can be rather large.

Think I'd move asap.

Go to sleep quite contented but wake up at bottom of a giant hole, covered in debris that used to be your house? (or worse)

Noooooo.

I agree with you Eldorado. I'd be wanting to go. It doesn't say if a geological team is studying what happened. I hope so. If it's escaping gases, they can be toxic. If it's a sinkhole it can swallow up a large area. It looks to be in woods so that's lucky I guess.

This site seems to be going with sinkhole due to heavy rain in the area. They didn't mention if there was water in the bottom of the crack.

http://watchermeetup.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6822

I've seen a couple sinkholes here in the area where I live. One cracked the foundation of a home including the front porch and one cracked the end of a cement bridge over a creek that had to be re-built. However they didn't open cracks like that. The ground just sank, it didn't rise up. That's why they're called sinkholes. Sounds like some agencies were contacted to examine this crack. Be interesting to see what they find.

I'm sure it's not the result of the shifting of the Earth's axis as one site suggested. There's a normal explanation.

Edited by susieice

• 2 weeks later...

You haven't seen anything yet... Precursors to something beyond mind blowing, things we didn't even know the earth could do. She's a tricky lady! Have you seen this... (I realize most people have, but on the off chance...)

sinkhole+in+guatemala+2010.jpg

LOL. :yes:

Giant, drunken moles. (Drunk 'cause their path's not straight.)

No really, that is freaky. I'd want to get out of there too.