Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bowling For Columbine

Mr-X

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr-X

• Magikman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an excellent film, more an indictment against American's reluctance to institute harsher penalties vis-à-vis handguns, and the escalating moral decay inherent in our country towards rising violence. The only problem I had with the movie was that Michael Moore presented a provocative and highly controversial premise and only focused on some of the easier to criticize institutions, i.e.; NRA, archaic governmental laws (2nd amendment), news media, parental guidance. You can see a classic domino effect taking place, but there's one important piece missing. What he fails to address is, I believe, the underlying reason American society suffers a horrifically violent environment, weak-knee liberalism and fears of racial backlash. There isn't another country in the world that comes close to the cultural diversity that makes up America, not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it also cultivates and enhances an unstable and horrifically violent environment (most large cities). Add to that mix the freedoms we enjoy and the unfortunate disregard many people have for the sanctity of human life, and you begin to get to the root of the problem. Moore's documentary would have been so much more powerful if only he'd have had the balls to address those issues, but he sees himself as the champion of the downtrodden, and its obvious he avoided invoking the ire of those he purports to defend. None-the-less the film was shocking, insightful, yet sadly, not as great as it could have been.

Magikman

What, you mean like he failed to mention the statistical fact that a majority of crimes are committed by minorities?

I believe America's diversity is at least a partial cause of your and australians problems.

Diversity issues aside, it is a simple statistical fact that the majority of crimes are committed by minorities.

Magik i posted my reply under guest by accident.

I was trying to say in the second paragraph that Australia is also very diverse but we do not have as much violence as the U.S..

I think the US is bred on fear. I think alot of Americans fear one another thats where the American pshyce fails.

why do Canadians leave their front doors open?