Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Walking Dead (TV Series)

Bracket

I guess from a military stand point, it might be better to bunker down and wait till after the complete collapse to start your campaign. Then perform tactics like the one I mentioned above."You could have a chopper with a loud alarm sound sit on top of a short building throwing dead cows to the street below, and get most of them in any given area all together at one time, and just drop a few cans of napalm. Do this at like 10 different locations per city and you would not only cut way down on the bombs youd need to drop, but youd kill them all in a quarter of the time it would take to just randomly bomb the city. NTM you could keep most of the infastructure in place. Im thinking to much about this lol."Zombies like the ones on this show have two main weaknesses. They are slow, and they are dumb.

That's basically what they did in World War Z, although not by choice. It's a great read if you're interested as it looks at both the military and political ramifications of such an event. In fact, the initial military response is to utilize spec ops quick response teams and keep everything hush hush - you know, the kind of stuff we love around here. Of course it eventually grows beyond that.Another good book is Day by Day Armageddon which spotlights the eventual ineffectiveness of conventional and even nuclear measures. It also gets into things like how does one deal with "herds" of zombies numbering in the hundreds of thousands sweeping through the US heartland. World War Z also addresses the psychological effect on the soldiers and how a full retraining and reorienting of the military is necessary to finally have success. We go from whiz bang high tech mobile warfare - which fails miserably - to basically rolling back the clock to Napoleonic tactics.

Hey guys, i hate to sound like an ass, but can we keep this on topic. I actually have a thread on what the government would do during a zombie invasion here.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=193948&st=0

Although, Day by Day Armageddon is an awesome book. :tu:

Just started watching the first season of this, this week. Great TV series. I have first season, and up to Season 2 episode 9 to watch. Very impressed :)

Yeah I get what you mean, my dad knew a guy who made them for rifles in his spare time. As for a store that sells them, I'm not sure. I just would have thought someone that they may have come across might have had one. It's just that it would really come in handy by not alerting the walkers when they shoot.

This has bugged me too right from the first episode. A couple of these guys are trained cops even, even if it is in a semi-rural area, and yet nobody knows about any of the old tricks for making a silencer out of a pop bottle or a potato, etc.? At the very least I would think one of them would seen The Godfather Pt.II at some point in their lives.

I'm really surprised the farm hasn't already been overrun by every walker in hearing distance that still has ears after all their target practice sessions. Speaking of which, is there a local ammo store in town or something? These people are making absolutely no efforts to conserve their shots.

This has bugged me too right from the first episode. A couple of these guys are trained cops even, even if it is in a semi-rural area, and yet nobody knows about any of the old tricks for making a silencer out of a pop bottle or a potato, etc.? At the very least I would think one of them would seen The Godfather Pt.II at some point in their lives.

I'm really surprised the farm hasn't already been overrun by every walker in hearing distance that still has ears after all their target practice sessions. Speaking of which, is there a local ammo store in town or something? These people are making absolutely no efforts to conserve their shots.

You do realize that those are both Hollywood-esque myths right? Then there is also the issue that the effectiveness of "silencers" is also greatly exaggerated on movies and TV. And in Rick's case, a silencer is worthless on a revolver.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/potato_used_as_silencer

Neither a potato nor a soda bottle would make an effective suppressor. And frankly, even if they did work, do you really want to futz around with a vegetable or an old bottle as the zombie apocalypse if raging around you?

As to ammo, maybe they do have plenty. Besides, since when does Hollywood accurately portray ammo management. Also, I think they made a point that the shooting range is somewhat distant from the farm.

You do realize that those are both Hollywood-esque myths right? Then there is also the issue that the effectiveness of "silencers" is also greatly exaggerated on movies and TV. And in Rick's case, a silencer is worthless on a revolver.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/potato_used_as_silencer

Neither a potato nor a soda bottle would make an effective suppressor. And frankly, even if they did work, do you really want to futz around with a vegetable or an old bottle as the zombie apocalypse if raging around you?

As to ammo, maybe they do have plenty. Besides, since when does Hollywood accurately portray ammo management. Also, I think they made a point that the shooting range is somewhat distant from the farm.

Yes and no. By in large you're right but even snopes seems to be in slight disagreement over it. Obviously it's not really going to eliminate a report of some kind and obviously you're not going to have access to a potato after the world ends but under the circumstances the basic idea is better than nothing and you'd think someone would've at least tried it, if only because they logically must watch the same tv I do. ;D

If you're close enough to use a handgun, you're close enough for them to see you and probably already in a one-sided firefight, so I suppose it doesn't matter much there anyway.

Edited by Oniomancer

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Governor:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/24/idUS266106755820120224

I don't think I've ever seen that actor in anything, but I like that. Can't wait to see what they do with him.

I saw this. But, they still haven't cast Michonne. :unsure2:

Well I hope they do. If they have The Governor they should probably have her haha.

Well I hope they do. If they have The Governor they should probably have her haha.

Uh, yeah. Especially with....... Well, you know. :P

I wonder isnt there any other farm in the sourrondings that they can secure and occupy?

That would have been the first thing I would have asked the old man, when he wanted them out of the land.

Well 10 minutes left in the show and it's been largely worthless characters doing stupid things.

Because that's what real people would be doing. :rolleyes:

Yea I gotta disagree with corp. Last nights show was kick ass. I knew there was no way Rick was gonna leave Shane behind. Lucky for Rick the situation wasnt reversed. Interested to see how things go between them from here on out. Where the heck is Daryl? The cat fight between blonde and the rest of the chicks was kinda :sleepy: But all in all, it was a good show.

This is the only hour long show that when I look at the clock, the time just fly's by. But then I always had a strange almost obsession for zombie stories.

For those who dont already know, you think they are gonna kill that kid? I put my money on no.

For those who dont already know, you think they are gonna kill that kid? I put my money on no.

I'm betting they don't - who knows, that might be what brings the whole Shane thing to a head.

Well the reasoning behind my comment is that you have Rick and Shane with the kid, who although they went to all the trouble of saving didn't bother to ask him any questions it seems. Like 'your friend left you to die but we saved you. Want to sign up with us?' Then when he begs them to let him join the group they start thinking they should kill him after all since he knows about the farm...instead of recruiting him. Then when the kid plays an important role in saving Shane's life they thank him by throwing him in the trunk again.

Then there was the whole knife thing. First, took them long enough to figure out that using guns on single walkers is wasteful. And what was with the over the top stabs? When you have a group of walkers who'd love to bite your hand is it really a good idea to jam the knife in and spend some time twisting it around? Would think quick thrusts to the head would work better and would be less dangerous. But the biggest bit of stupid was them cutting themselves. Infected zombie blood everywhere and they decided it'd be a good idea to have an open wound.

As for the stuff at the house the bit between Maggie and her sister wasn't too bad and is a reasonable topic to touch on. But then Andrea and Lori got involved, the show's shining examples of how women should be avoided during zombie attacks. First you have Lori whining about how useless Andrea is...because you know she's just been so helpful to the group. And then Andrea bringing up how bad it was that she couldn't have her gun when clearly unstable and how she "worked through it". Yes and what did you do when they let you have a gun again Andrea? Right you ignored everyone's orders and shot the most useful guy in the group, turning him into an anti-social jerk.

The tension between Rick and Shane and the question of suicide were important things to touch on, it's just the stuff going on around those two themes just really distracted from them.

As for the stuff at the house the bit between Maggie and her sister wasn't too bad and is a reasonable topic to touch on. But then Andrea and Lori got involved, the show's shining examples of how women should be avoided during zombie attacks.

I've been trying not to get snooty and angry at this show for things that aren't like the comic and so far I've been doing good. One thing I don't like however, is they seem to be making 99% of the women useless and stupid. Andrea and Maggie are fantastic in the comic in my opinion, though I never much cared for Lori in either medium. Regardless, most of the men do some pretty damn stupid things too. Rick and Shane fighting, Shane breaking the window and attracting/letting out walkers. My point is, as Bracket hinted at, people in general would do dumb things.

Bottom-line, Shane is potentially a loose cannon and he still has emotions for Lori. Having not read the comics but I have little doubt this tension between Rick and Shane over Lori and the baby isnt over. In fact, both men have displayed the potential to kill one another.

In Rick's case "protect Lori and the baby, get him before he gets me."

In Shane's case "I am the better leader and am the better man, Rick is just a hindrance."

Wow... that episode was too emotional. Dale's plea during the final discussion was quite stirring.

They killed off my favorite character of the show. :(

They killed off my favorite character of the show. :(

Happened sooner than in the comic, but I'll admit I was definitely surprised.

I figured "slim" would show back up at some point, but not like that.

Happened sooner than in the comic, but I'll admit I was definitely surprised.

I figured "slim" would show back up at some point, but not like that.

Yeah. But, i was really disappointed with how they killed him in the comic. They were leading up to some good stuff with him, and just cut it short. Even though it sucks he's dead, they did a better job here. I would like to have seen him be with Andrea before it happened though. Just let the character see SOME happiness before it happened. He just kept getting beat down in the show.

So much for being careful with spoilers... :unsure2:

When in Rome...

I wouldn't say he was my favorite character, but I'll certainly miss him. He played a very important humanistic role within the group. Who is going to fill that role now? Hershel? A combination of characters?

And how about that stellar parenting display by Rick and Lori letting Carl wander off to play tag with a zombie?

So much for being careful with spoilers... :unsure2:

When in Rome...

I wouldn't say he was my favorite character, but I'll certainly miss him. He played a very important humanistic role within the group. Who is going to fill that role now? Hershel? A combination of characters?

And how about that stellar parenting display by Rick and Lori letting Carl wander off to play tag with a zombie?

Well, Rick has been holding the middle ground between Shane and Dale. I expect to see Rick move toward Dale's side more. After his reaction to his son's coldness toward life, and Dale's final words informing him essentially that he's broken, I think it'll really affect him.