Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virus breakthrough could cure common cold

Saru

Scientists say they have made a landmark discovery which could pave the way for new drugs to beat illnesses like the common cold.

Until now experts had thought that antibodies could only tackle viral infections by blocking or attacking viruses outside cells.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Could we have a cure for the common cold in the not-too-distant future ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crystal sage

• NewMoon26

• Saru

• Pezmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt the common cold always becoming stronger, thus the need for us to catch it and basically let our immune system deal with it to make us stronger?

I think that the common cold will never be cure because the virus that produces the common flu are constantly mutating and changing is form. Almost every time you get the flu is a different strain of a virus that previously infected you or a new virus.

The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–50%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[4][13][14] Others include: coronavirus (10–15%), influenza (5–15%),[4] human parainfluenza viruses, human respiratory syncytial virus, adenoviruses, enteroviruses, and metapneumovirus.[9]

Also some people think that the common cold is not a disease per se it is more of a cleaning process of the body. The best thing that you can do is boost your immune system and common cold vaccines are a scam...because of the mutation nature of the virus.

From what I heard.. the cold.. is the body spring cleaning itself..

Cold Virus That Can Kill Cancer Discovered By Indian-Origin Scientist

My link

A study lead by a scientist of Indian origin discovered that a common virus, which can cause coughing and mild diarrhoea, has an ability to kill cancer.

The scientists have found that the virus, called reovirus, grows like gangbusters inside tumor cells with a specific malfunction that leads to tumor growth and the findind led them to ponder over weather this virus can be used as a treatment.

My link

My link

March 9, 2010 - A virus that destroys cancer cells but leaves normal cells unharmed works against prostate cancer, a human study shows.

The virus also blasts lymphoid, colon, ovarian, breast, pancreatic, brain, lung, head and neck, and other cancer cells.

Edited by crystal sage

If that were the case... then maybe TRIM21 protein may hinder the body's ability from getting rid of some cancers???

My link

My link

The new discovery by Dr Leo James and colleagues transforms the previous scientific understanding of our immunity to viral diseases like the common cold, 'winter vomiting' and gastroenteritis.

It shows that antibodies can enter cells and that once inside, they then trigger a response, led by a protein called TRIM21.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Doctors have plenty of antibiotics to fight bacterial infections but few antiviral drugs”

End Quote

Dr Leo James

Lead researcher at the MRC in Cambridge

This protein pulls the virus into a disposal system used by the cell to get rid of unwanted material.

The researchers found this process happens quickly, usually before most viruses have chance to harm the cell.

And they discovered that increasing the amount of TRIM21 protein in cells makes this process even more effective, suggesting new ways of making better antiviral drugs.

Dr James said: "Doctors have plenty of antibiotics to fight bacterial infections but few antiviral drugs.

"Although these are early days, and we don't yet know whether all viruses are cleared by this mechanism, we are excited that our discoveries may open multiple avenues for developing new antiviral drugs."

Sir Greg Winter, deputy director of the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, said: "This research is not only a leap in our understanding of how and where antibodies work, but more generally in our understanding

TRIM21

The new discovery by Dr Leo James and colleagues transforms the previous scientific understanding of our immunity to viral diseases like the common cold, 'winter vomiting' and gastroenteritis.

It shows that antibodies can enter cells and that once inside, they then trigger a response, led by a protein called TRIM21.

My link

Lead researcher at the MRC in Cambridge

This protein pulls the virus into a disposal system used by the cell to get rid of unwanted material.

The researchers found this process happens quickly, usually before most viruses have chance to harm the cell.

And they discovered that increasing the amount of TRIM21 protein in cells makes this process even more effective, suggesting new ways of making better antiviral drugs.

Dr James said: "Doctors have plenty of antibiotics to fight bacterial infections but few antiviral drugs.

"Although these are early days, and we don't yet know whether all viruses are cleared by this mechanism, we are excited that our discoveries may open multiple avenues for developing new antiviral drugs."

Sir Greg Winter, deputy director of the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, said: "This research is not only a leap in our understanding of how and where antibodies work, but more generally in our understanding

My link

My link

The main agent which leads this assault is an intracellular protein called “TRIM21” which can rapidly mediate the destruction of intracellular viruses. We know that antibodies remain attached to viruses even after they enter the host cell. These antibodies in collaboration with TRIM21 trigger a response inside the newly infected cell which then kills the viruses before they have time to replicate and destroy our tissues.

As the authors state their results reveal a new “intracellular arm” to immunity which continues even inside the cell.

Although these experiments were carried out using one particular virus, the authors believe that this mechanism of killing viruses is more common and helps explain the ability of the immune system to be effective at lower than expected levels against common cold and polio viruses.

Could it hinder the common cold virus from destroying cancer cells?

We suspected that reovirus might be effective against cancer stem cells, because we have shown time and again how well it destroys regular cancer cells," remarks Dr. Lee, who was the first in the world to discover that a benign and naturally occurring virus could selectively infect and kill cancer cells without harming healthy cells

In addition to its ability to kill cancer cells and cancer stem cells, reovirus stimulates the anti-cancer immune system. Since virus therapy also invokes an anti-virus response, Dr. Lee and post-doctoral fellow Dr. Shashi Gujar are working on a way to harness the immune system so it attacks cancer cells while allowing the virus to freely infect and destroy cancerous cells. "Refining this two-pronged approach to killing cancer is our next step," says Dr. Lee. "We are taking advantage of the natural characteristics of reovirus and the immune system itself to create a powerful virus-based anti-cancer therapy."

My link

Specific antibodies recognize and actually latch onto the invading virus, riding it into the cell. Once inside the cell, a protein—known as TRIM 21—recognizes the presence of the antibody and destroys the virus within two hours, before it starts producing its own viral proteins.

“This is the last opportunity a cell gets,” said lead researcher Leo James, “because after that it gets infected and there is nothing else the body can do but kill the cell.”

And why should you care?

Well, scientists originally thought that once a virus invaded a human cell, it was safe from the body’s defenses and any antibiotics. Now, a variety of new treatment methods are fair game.

The researchers believe that by boosting up the amount of TRIM 21 in our systems, we might be able to protect against the viruses that cause the common cold.

My link

Edited by crystal sage

TRIM21

My link

My link

Could it hinder the common cold virus from destroying cancer cells?

My link

My link

Thanks for sharing the info crystal sage. Any more info on the common cold as a way of the body cleaning itself will be appreciate.

Thanks for sharing the info crystal sage. Any more info on the common cold as a way of the body cleaning itself will be appreciate.

The obvious one is the "Flu like symtoms when you go off some medications or drugs.. It is the body detoxing itself.

So I gather rather than going for more medications.. drugs to assist in this process in some cases.. it would be better to take some sort of nutritional support.. health tonics..

I have noticed that some pharma companies are aware of this , hence some of the new lines of cold and flu remedies that you can find on the supermarket shelves.. EG: Ease aCold.. capsules made up soley of honey and ginger and menthol..

Flu Symptoms or Cleansing Reaction?

My link

Common Cold Symptoms Caused By Immune System -- Not The Cold Virus

In the past, researchers have measured specific compounds made by the body that may protect against a cold or may be triggered by a cold virus. This is the first time anyone has conducted a comprehensive assessment of what happens when a rhinovirus infects a person. This is also the first time researchers have established that a recently discovered antiviral protein called viperin plays a role in our body’s defense against rhinovirus. That discovery will lead scientists to targeted study and treatments against the common cold

When you look at it from another perspective these byproducts of your 'cold' the rhinovirus is that the body manufactures such as the "viperin" could have been the body's response in defending it from other illnesses.. So the body is not being a victim but fighting to heal itself.

So could the rhinovirus be helping the body like mercenary to help with the fight of stimulating/ activating chemicals for healing the body.

It seems that you are more likely to catch a cold when your immune system is down.. you are tired.. stressed...

Could colds be a way of exercising the body's sluggish immune system.. keeping it in shape.. giving it a nudge..

How viperin ( byproduct of colds) seems to inhibit HCV (hepatitis C virus)

Like the HCV NS proteins, viperin has been shown to localize to the cytosolic face of the ER through an N-terminal amphipathic alpha-helix. This N-terminal amphipathic alpha-helix is essential for viperin to inhibit HCV and influenza, as mutants lacking this domain have greatly reduced antiviral activity. Although the precise mechanism by which viperin inhibits HCV is still unknown, viperin was previously shown to inhibit influenza virus budding by disrupting plasma membrane lipid raft microdomains, which are sites of influenza virion assembly and budding. Independent of viral infection, the N-terminal amphipathic alpha-helix of viperin inhibits protein secretion and appears to induce ER membrane curvature.

Worth exploring further..

But then again.. with some messy colds.. or alergy reactions to mosquito bites.. I am a fan of Dimetapp.. the purple child forumula.. it seems that a single baby's dose of only 5 ml of that purple liquid is enough to ease cold or alergy symptoms, is enough to get the body to fight the cold in a day.. I don't know how that works.. but it does..

Notice though when you have food with a lot chemicals or additives in them, the nose runs.,.. the rhinovirus assisting the liver??? Or the Viperin being activated???