Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunterkiller2001

Forging a japanese blade

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone know of any good sources that teach how to PROPERLY forge a Japanese style blade?

In paticular, a Shinogi Zukuri (sp?) style blade.

I've forged european style blades, but I want to make sure this is a "real" (IE, functional) blade. The part the worrys me the most is how to create the Hamon (temperline) so it's stronger then the rest of the blade.. I'm not sure if two different steels are used.

I've already made the Tsuba, Seppas, Kashira, and Fuchi... and the Saya and Tsuka will be carved from oak after the blade is made..

I suppose instead of worrying about the Hamon, i could just forge it to create Damascus.. but I'd prefer the tempered edge.

Also, Suggestions for the Saya and Tsuka (scabbard and handle) are welcome.. I'm not sure I want to go with the "classic" ray skin.. And i know i don't want finished wood either..

Edit: Another thing I need to figure out is how to create the Sori (curvature of the blade)

Edited by hunterkiller2001

Here is a book you could try

link

or maybe this book

link

I have the book.. I'll have to track down "Molten Fire: The Forging of a Japanese Blade"

thanks for the link doomgirl grin2.gif

anyone else have suggestions?