Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lucid Dream Foods

trancelikestate

"There are many methods available that promote the occurrence of a lucid dream. Eating specific food (otherwise known as "lucid nutrition") before sleeping is one of the most successful methods to induce them. This is a list of the best three lucid foods and liquids to intake. To achieve the best possible results, remember to eat or drink immediately before sleeping.

Orange Juice

Orange juice, or any other pure fruit juice with no additives keeps your nervous system active while your body's muscles relax. Drinking a full glass of juice will allow for more vivid and memorable dreams, ultimately increasing the chance of a lucid dream.

Milk and Cheese

"While it is known that milk and cheese (or any other dairy food) can help your body rest, they also greatly improve your dreams. Milk and cheese contain amino acids which have been proven to stimulate the production of a vital neurotransmitter for sleeping and dreaming, melatonin.

Mustard

Various sources have reported that eating a tablespoon of mustard will promote a higher success rate for lucid dreams. It may take up to three attempts for it to be successful, so it's important to remain patient if the method repeatedly fails.

Other foods include pickles, ice cream, popcorn and fish. While they are not as successful as the three foods and drinks listed above, some have suggested that they will improve your overall dream memorability and "train" your brain for future, naturally triggered lucid dreams. However, their use immediately before sleeping is not recommended as they contain fatty acids, salts and sugars which certainly doesn't help getting a good night's rest."

Source

I've been having very vivid and to say the least, interesting, dreams lately. One this week was fully lucid, man those are cool. Anyway, I stumbled across this info and now it all makes sense. I've gotten into the habit of drinking a large glass of milk (Nes Quick added to it for chocolaty goodness) before bed which I never really drank much of before. Definitely improves dreaming, you guys should give it a try.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rashore

• Sevastiel

• trancelikestate

• JGirl

Thanks for sharing. I might have to give this a try.

If you can afford it, I always found crayfish beneficial but then so were all the foods my grandmother told me would give me nightmares. (Mostly any rich food unsuitable for children Maybe auto suggestion played a part, but i did dream some doozies after eating rich foods.

There is also the lucid dreaming pill that contains a substance call guanantamine i think. Sorry if i have spelt it wrong... This is supposed to boost lucid dreams tremendously to those who need it... I guess im lucky to have have 2-5 lucid dreams a week by not doing anything. :rofl:

mmm, instead of a cold glass of chocolate milk.. Try a warm mug of milk that has had a cinnamon stick steeped in it with a lil spoon of honey.

mmm, instead of a cold glass of chocolate milk.. Try a warm mug of milk that has had a cinnamon stick steeped in it with a lil spoon of honey.

Oh my, that sounds delicious.

I'll have to try these things too though, I'm curious.

Eat the wrong stuff for your particular chemistry and you'll end up having toxic dreams.

Food just before bed has been known to 'modify' dreams for some time now.

But that's the first time I've seen a list proported to assist with lucidity.

I might try those instead of melatonin to see what happens.

Eat the wrong stuff for your particular chemistry and you'll end up having toxic dreams.

The only time I've ever experienced sleep paralysis was after taking melatonin. I had quite the "toxic" dream which lead to it too, can't say I enjoyed the whole experience much. Other than that I can't say melatonin has ever done anything for me as far as lucidity

This information is amazing thank you for posting! :tu:

This is interesting, considering I just ate a cheese sandwich w/ mustard and drank a glass of OJ and now I'm going to bed. :sleepy: (Weird schedule today, but was starving.)

Let's see what happens. :)

And on a fictional note... The Wallace Way of Wishful Wooing...

"Ham and Swiss cheese,

for instance, you get a cool, thin,

blonde girl. Turkey sandwich, you

get a dark sort of stumpy girl, sexy

though. Now a liverwurst sandwich -

you get both girls at once. Bad

night."

And when Bob eats tuna, he dreams of himself, lol.....

But seriously, what you eat or drink before sleep can affect your sleep. Other sleepy food bits..

Eating grapes is supposed to help you dream.

Drinking dill tea or water, or eating the herb is supposed to help with getting gentle sleep, especially when one is out of sorts or cranky. But eating dill pickles before sleep is supposed to give you strange dreams.

Chamomile teas can be soothing for sleep, particularly when blended with mint.

A nice tonic for sleep is made of hops, valerian, passion flower, and spearmint. This one is taken in 2 oz doses with meals, and a final dose right before bed :)

A lot of people complain of more disturbed sleep after eating particularly heavy or spicy meals, but that may have more to do with ones body than mind.

Thanks for that., will give it a shot :)

But take heed, do not eat too much and send all your energy into digestion while sleeping, you need energy. The golden rule is, not too much, not too little. You don't want to be hungry either.

i've learned not to eat anything before bed if i don't want the crazy dreams!

i want to ask you,

if i'm at some point aware i'm dreaming, while dreaming, is that considered a lucid dream even if i'm not controlling what's happening?

i want to ask you,

if i'm at some point aware i'm dreaming, while dreaming, is that considered a lucid dream even if i'm not controlling what's happening?

Yes and no.

There are moments while dreaming that you realize in your dream that you are dreaming. Most people randomly have those moments. So no.

But, If you realize that you are dreaming, and hold on to that awareness, even if you are just riding behind your own eyes, that is often considered a basic level of lucid dreaming. So yes.

Hope that made sense, lol.

Yes and no.

There are moments while dreaming that you realize in your dream that you are dreaming. Most people randomly have those moments. So no.

But, If you realize that you are dreaming, and hold on to that awareness, even if you are just riding behind your own eyes, that is often considered a basic level of lucid dreaming. So yes.

Hope that made sense, lol.

it did make sense...that's good right? grinzz

the times that i've been aware i'm dreaming i never really tried to alter anything, just thought something along the lines of - hey this is only a dream so whatever happens is no big deal, etc

it did make sense...that's good right? grinzz

the times that i've been aware i'm dreaming i never really tried to alter anything, just thought something along the lines of - hey this is only a dream so whatever happens is no big deal, etc

Awake memory can help distinguish it better. Holding dream awareness, you usually have a much fuller recall after being awake of the details after the point of awareness in the dream. Drifting off, the most potent point of awake remembrance is the moment of awareness in the dream itself, with regularly fuzzy dream recall of the events after.

Sounds more like you've had a couple of lucid sleep moments rather than you were actively trying to lucidly dream. It's pretty normal for most people to have moments like that once in a while :)

i want to ask you,

Agreed with rashore.

The awareness is the stepping stone of it. But you can lose that as quickly as it comes, and it ends up becoming just another part of the dream. Most people experience some degree of lucidity off and on. But it takes practice to make dreams lucid. I still fail more often than not whenever I do try. I don't try that much though, since part of the purpose of dreams is to send messages from the subconscious. Conscious control tends to interrupt that part of the process, fun as it is, and I'm personally more interested in the messages than in what I can make my dreams do.

You can try using conscious cues (reality checks) to help with the process. Still requires that first kernel of awareness. You can auto-suggest that yourself as you go to sleep, if you can keep your mind from wandering too much. Not easy at first.

Reality checks are little things you can do while you're awake during the day. Be careful with people around though :D . Doesn't bode well for their perception of you when you tell them you're checking to make sure the water in the cup still falls into the sink like it should, or that your hand doesn't go through walls, or you can't, in fact, fly or walk on air here. LOL. Doing that often enough plants it as a subconscious norm through repetition and it'll carry over to dreams. When that moment of awareness hits you and you find yourself conscious, then you can do reality checks there in the dream scene. When it turns out you can do things 'unrealistic', it'll register that you're not in Kansas anymore which should keep you aware.

Excellent post Sevastiel :)

A lot of people use lucid dreaming to help their awake mind remember the sleeping minds messages. More of an exercise to consciously record, remember, and recall. They don't try to make their dreams do anything, just trying to pay more attention. Some folks try to do more than that too.

Reality checks can indeed help with sleeping awareness. Not sure if I would go around making stuff was real on purpose while awake though, that could indeed make people look at you funny, lol :) Here's an alternative. Pay attention to switches. Lights, tvs, radios, your car, cell phone, ect turning on and off. Then as you are falling asleep, tell yourself to pay attention to switches. When in the dream, the reality check is when stuff turns on/off without switches, or making yourself think you need to hit a switch for it to turn on/off.

On another note back to the thread... I wonder if Purplos had any dream action the other night after the cheese/mustard/oj snack before bed.

Excellent post Sevastiel :)

A lot of people use lucid dreaming to help their awake mind remember the sleeping minds messages. More of an exercise to consciously record, remember, and recall. They don't try to make their dreams do anything, just trying to pay more attention. Some folks try to do more than that too.

Reality checks can indeed help with sleeping awareness. Not sure if I would go around making stuff was real on purpose while awake though, that could indeed make people look at you funny, lol :) Here's an alternative. Pay attention to switches. Lights, tvs, radios, your car, cell phone, ect turning on and off. Then as you are falling asleep, tell yourself to pay attention to switches. When in the dream, the reality check is when stuff turns on/off without switches, or making yourself think you need to hit a switch for it to turn on/off.

On another note back to the thread... I wonder if Purplos had any dream action the other night after the cheese/mustard/oj snack before bed.

Was wondering that myself. B)