Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Genetically Engineered Mosquitoes

Persia

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoIverine

• Myles

• Automaton

• Leah G.

Top Posters In This Topic

That's amazing. Humans next!

lol, I agree with metalhead.. at least some humans anyway!

But really, what is the point of this? Wouldn't the males lose the desire to mate since they are sterile (like nuetered dogs).. so wouldn't the female just find another male?

Besides, mosquitos only live like a year (idk) so yea.. seems kinda pointless.

Edited by Kitana2010

Male mosquitoes are not a threat as its the female mosquitoes that bite us and spread malaria. A female mosquito will mate only once in her life and if she mates with a sterile male the eggs will not develop into mosquitoes. The males do not loose their desire to mate they just shoot blanks.

This is one genetic modification that I approve of!

Male mosquitoes are not a threat as its the female mosquitoes that bite us and spread malaria. A female mosquito will mate only once in her life and if she mates with a sterile male the eggs will not develop into mosquitoes. The males do not loose their desire to mate they just shoot blanks.

Thank you for adding some sense to this discussion.

I, for one, am excited to see this happening. I hope in the near future states (or cities) could purchase GE mosquitoes to release.

I'm glad they had the foresight to make this temporary. There is no need to exterminate them, only reduce their numbers.

I hope fleas are next on the list!

Without males being useful for reproduction is it possible they may reproduce asexually?

I hope fleas are next on the list!

Without males being useful for reproduction is it possible they may reproduce asexually?

Our cat recently infested our apartment with fleas, it was a nightmare, I could definitely do without them.

lol, this is weird... Just the other night, I was watching the TV series Masters of Horror. It was an episode like this... The scientists messed with bugs to slow down breeding.. by the end of the episode with all sorts of killing human females, it ended up that aliens were doing to us what we were doing to the bugs!

It's a weird science is truer than fiction story for me.

Even if all the skeeters are shooting blanks.. It isn't such a hot idea to introduce lab animals into wild populations in general. Not that I think aliens are going to do it to us. Just we should probably have already learned out lesson about introducing animals into a place that aren't naturally supposed to be there.

lol, this is weird... Just the other night, I was watching the TV series Masters of Horror. It was an episode like this... The scientists messed with bugs to slow down breeding.. by the end of the episode with all sorts of killing human females, it ended up that aliens were doing to us what we were doing to the bugs!

Even if all the skeeters are shooting blanks.. It isn't such a hot idea to introduce lab animals into wild populations in general. Not that I think aliens are going to do it to us. Just we should probably have already learned out lesson about introducing animals into a place that aren't naturally supposed to be there.

I agree.

I saw this on the home page and I was like "We're all ****ed" Then I read on to see it was to stamp out a disease on an island so I was like thats not too bad, as I thought they were released by mistake or they escaped. After that I thought "I hope they made them sterile", then I read on to find out they were indeed sterile and thats the only thing they genetically modified. The GM them to make the sterile and thats it. Even if a few of them aren't sterile they are then just normal mosquitoes.

To me thats pretty safe. Fare play I say.

I disagree. This is a great idea.

Not that I think aliens are going to do it to us. Just we should probably have already learned out lesson about introducing animals into a place that aren't naturally supposed to be there.

I would agree if this were introducing a species into a location it does not already exist in. Here it does not. And in this case in my opinion it's a wonderful idea if it works.

We've tried this exact same thing before with other insects and failed. However with the breeding habits of mosquitoes it seems reasonable.

::edit::

Interesting little tidbit I found while looking further into this. The mosquitoes causing the disease problem in the Caymans, which we are genetically modifying to control the disease spread, are not even native to the Caymans at all. They are actually a species that we carried in and spread into the area just a few years ago.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

It all sounds fine and dandy, seems like a good plan. I just have a baaaad feeling about this. :rofl:

Edit: just read the edit above:

::edit::

Interesting little tidbit I found while looking further into this. The mosquitoes causing the disease problem in the Caymans, which we are genetically modifying to control the disease spread, are not even native to the Caymans at all. They are actually a species that we carried in and spread into the area just a few years ago.

Well that is interesting. So basically we're just covering ourr butts to fix a mistake we already made? Heheh, again, what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Automaton

I don't think any insect species has ever gone extinct? The sterile male offspring will have to be hardier than regular ones in order to out multiply them.

Yeah, what a great idea. I am quite certain that there will be no long-term adverse results of any significance. We have done a risk analysis and the future looks so bright.

lol, I agree with metalhead.. at least some humans anyway!

But really, what is the point of this? Wouldn't the males lose the desire to mate since they are sterile (like nuetered dogs).. so wouldn't the female just find another male?

Besides, mosquitos only live like a year (idk) so yea.. seems kinda pointless.

If that,Mosquitoes live for a few months,"WARM Months".Still kinda pointless,since its the female Mosqitoes that bite.