Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apollo 11 post-flight press conference

SolarPlexus

Uh.... this is not an academic debate and i dont feel any pressure for proof.... I just posted the video so people can see it, and so we can exchange viewpoints without pressure :)

Now that you're on the ET side of the forum, that's fine. Academics doesn't always find a home here.

You were in the Moon hoax thread, where you'd be held to a level and burden of proof of your contentions which is rather daunting (albeit completely logical) for some.

Moving this here was a mercifully good idea....

Now that you're on the ET side of the forum, that's fine.

I wish we could keep aliens out of this :) I just wanted to talk about behaviour in the video, which i think tells us there is a conspiracy

How can you tell when someone is lying??

• Physical expression will be limited and stiff, with few arm and hand movements.

I guess this is the most obvious thing in the whole video. They seem like on a funeral. Check.

• A person who is lying to you will avoid making eye contact.

Probably the second most obvious thing in the video. Indeed, they never look directly in the crowd. They always look down, look around the desk, look at each other, look away etc. See for yourself :)

Even when they talk. Especially Aldrin and Collins. Buzz is so funny when he talks, his sight never leaves the table :lol:

• Timing and duration of emotional gestures and emotions are off a normal pace. The display of emotion is delayed, stays longer it would naturally, then stops suddenly.

This happens a lot when Armstrong talks. His smile is so false...

• Timing is off between emotions gestures/expressions and words.

Same.

• Expressions are limited to mouth movements when someone is faking emotions

Just look at Armstrong's lips and mouth...

How to Detect Lies

Now look at the video and tell me if you see any of these signs... :)

Edited by SolarPlexus

Buzz Aldrin is just too easy to read :lol: ...

buzz0.png

Like a guilty child

armstrong.png

Armstrong to himself - God what am i doing?

lol20.gif

But my favorite is still this one... Armstrong wiggling in his chair

Edited by SolarPlexus

This guy explains it great!

Edited by SolarPlexus

I normally read fully through a thread (when it is less than 100 pages :rolleyes: ) before making replies... But this post by Cz and the earlier post by MID (post 2 I think? maybe 3?) pretty much sum up this whole video.

Bravo to these guys for dismantling the fiction that this thread is centered upon.

Part of the problem, as I see it at any rate, is that the younger generation of today have "idols"...

They have NBA players that put showmanship and "shock value" (for lack of a better term) at almost the same level as the skill they have in their sport.

They have NFL players doing little dances and other celebrations in the end zone after a TD.

They have movie stars and recording artists making public spectacles of themselves, hamming it up for the media and whatnot.

The basic similarity through all these public figuers is that they come off as larger than life.

Then they look back 40 years, to a time when this type of media and attention whoring wasn't nearly the norm that it is today. They see three professional, ex-military, ex-test pilot, scientist slash engineers who have come back from the journey of a lifetime and the expectation of these younger people is that they should be acting like the "idols" of today.

What they see, however are 3 guys who are calm and sedate, perhaps even reserved and uncomfortable, being thrust into the media spotlight (and for good reason, of course).

We live in a world today where our opinions are delivered to (most of) us by the Media and public buffoonery by our public figures is the norm, and in a lot of case, is what defines their "idol" status. So when some of these younger people (and some older people, too... wouldn't want to be accused of being completely "ageist") see someone who is not acting the way that the "idols" of today act, they form the opinion that "something must be wrong here". They simply can't understand why Neil, Buzz and Mike weren't out there fist-bumping each other, pouring champagne over each other and dancing on the table at the press conference.

In essence, they're comparing apples to rutabagas...

Cz

Just in case anyone missed it in the foreground, here it is again. Bravo and many thanks Cz and MID! :tu:

Now I'll read the rest of the thread. Hopefully it hasn't further degraded into the realm of woo woo.

Nobody kicks a dead dog. And that is why we are... ∞

Science is to see what everyone else has seen and to think what no one else has thought” - Nobel Prize Winner Albert-Szent Gyorgi

And yes, bravo for stepping stones- these keep us strong. :tu:

Edited by TheUniversalMind

Uh.... this is not an academic debate and i dont feel any pressure for proof.... I just posted the video so people can see it, and so we can exchange viewpoints without pressure :)

Fair enough... You are of course free to believe whatever you want to, and to express those beliefs, but if your interpretation and opinion are all the evidence you have, then it will remain just a belief with little to no real foundation in reality.

Cz

So much for my woo woo hopes. The degradation didn't appear to lessen at all... but oh well, everyone has reasons for believing as they do I suppose.

Back to the OP though...

I wonder how much public speaking experience these great men had prior to this particular interview. I honestly don't know the date of this particular video, and unless I'm mistaken, it wasn't in the OP.

Had any of them actually done much public speaking prior to this?

Not that it really matters, I suppose, considering how many other things can have a direct impact on public speaking. But I am honestly curious and would appreciate it if anyone can shed light on these questions.

Part of my job entails standing up in front of people I don't know and speaking, and at times it is no easier today than it was when I was first required to do so in high school. Any number of factors can impact such a thing. Fatigue is probably one of the biggest, but also frustration with everyday life experience can bleed into one's presentations. An argument with your significant other the night before or the morning of, for example. A disagreement with a friend, co-worker, or family member. Bad traffic en route to the speaking event. An email that throws you off kilter. A news story that strikes you with particular negativity as you're drinking your coffee. Virtually anything.

Attributing vain imaginings to the apparent demeanor of these gentleman is nothing more than words two and three in this very sentence.

Nuff said.

(But I'm still curious about the above questions if anyone knows. Just for my general understanding of the history surrounding these men who've accomplished such an amazing thing.)

So much for my woo woo hopes. The degradation didn't appear to lessen at all... but oh well, everyone has reasons for believing as they do I suppose.

Back to the OP though...

I wonder how much public speaking experience these great men had prior to this particular interview. I honestly don't know the date of this particular video, and unless I'm mistaken, it wasn't in the OP.

Had any of them actually done much public speaking prior to this?

Not that it really matters, I suppose, considering how many other things can have a direct impact on public speaking. But I am honestly curious and would appreciate it if anyone can shed light on these questions.

Part of my job entails standing up in front of people I don't know and speaking, and at times it is no easier today than it was when I was first required to do so in high school. Any number of factors can impact such a thing. Fatigue is probably one of the biggest, but also frustration with everyday life experience can bleed into one's presentations. An argument with your significant other the night before or the morning of, for example. A disagreement with a friend, co-worker, or family member. Bad traffic en route to the speaking event. An email that throws you off kilter. A news story that strikes you with particular negativity as you're drinking your coffee. Virtually anything.

Attributing vain imaginings to the apparent demeanor of these gentleman is nothing more than words two and three in this very sentence.

Nuff said.

(But I'm still curious about the above questions if anyone knows. Just for my general understanding of the history surrounding these men who've accomplished such an amazing thing.)

Hi all, I also would like to ask the same question posed by Boon regarding other interviews/public speaking. In addition does anyone know the timeline involved- how long after landing was the interview held?

thanks

So what we have is:

1) Request for proof of that images are genuine - NOT PROVIDED

2) Subjective opinion that people are not telling truth. Proof - NOT PROVIDED

Claim disproved.

I've always wondered what would happen when proponents of the "we never went to the moon" and the "Apollo astronauts discovered extraterrestrials/evidence of ancient civilisations on the moon" arguments come together. I wonder if there's anyone who manages to hold both ideas simultaneously?

does anyone know the timeline involved- how long after landing was the interview held?

thanks

Hi quillius :)

The interview was held on August 12 1969. in Houston, Texas

The Apollo 11 space flight landed the first humans on Earth's Moon on July 20, 1969

The interview was held 23 days after the Moon landing :) (3 weeks after)

I've always wondered what would happen when proponents of the "we never went to the moon" and the "Apollo astronauts discovered extraterrestrials/evidence of ancient civilisations on the moon" arguments come together.

I wonder if there's anyone who manages to hold both ideas simultaneously?

Hehe :) I think the moon landings were real. The Russians tracked them very closely. If they had been fake, the Russians would have been the first to shout about it. It was the Cold war after all :) The Russians have never claimed the moon landings were fake. Such claims only arise from greed (selling books) and ignorance about physics and photography.

Its just the stuff they witnessed on the moon and/or during the flight that they are told to shut up :)

Do the people who just completed the greatest accomplishent in human history look like this?

postfl10.jpg

Hey guys! you’ve just went to the moon!

What’s going on? Cheer up!

Do the people who just completed the greatest accomplishent in human history look like this?

postfl10.jpg

Hey guys! you’ve just went to the moon!

What’s going on? Cheer up!

Actually, the people who just completed the greatest accomplishment in human history look more like this, SolarPlexus.

NixonApollo11Astronauts-thumb-550x550-50921.jpg

The press conference was one of the first things the Apollo 11 astronauts had to do after weeks of waiting in quarantine, not being able to actually have physical interactions with, for example, their wives. Obviously, this quarantine more or less took away the fun.

Actually, the people who just completed the greatest accomplishment in human history look more like this, SolarPlexus.

The press conference was one of the first things the Apollo 11 astronauts had to do after weeks of waiting in quarantine, not being able to actually have physical interactions with, for example, their wives. Obviously, this quarantine more or less took away the fun.

Yes, The Quarantine, Baby. This is beautiful!...

First: The 'Landing'...

Second: The Quarantine- no contact with the "world", or monitored minute telephone/radio contact with love ones...

....follow by...

Third: The Detailed Mandating Extensive Briefing... :unsure:

...and finally,

Fourth: The "Enthusiastic" News Conference.

Thank you so much for your contributions. They are very much appreciated.

Undoubtedly the safest place to be in that kind of company.

Now thats more like it :) Thats how they should look!

But its easy to laugh from inside the quarantine... its another thing when the WHOLE WORLD is watching YOU!

postfl10.jpg

buzz0.png

armstrong.png

I feel sorry for them :( ... its not their fault, they are honest people...

Now thats more like it :) Thats how they should look!

But its easy to laugh from inside the quarantine... its another thing when the WHOLE WORLD is watching YOU!

it might be interesting to note that the whole world was watching them that afternoon, as President Nixon talked to them aboard the USS Hornet.

I suspect it was rather a happy priviledge for them to be personally addressed by the Commander-in-Chief. There wasn't a network that did not cover this event.

I feel sorry for them :( ... its not their fault, they are honest people...

What's not their fault? That they were thrust into a situtation, by chance, which would place them at the center of public and media attention on a scale that few people had been, nor would be again? And these three, not trained or at all used to such massive-scale attention, perhaps even uncomfortable with it...

Well, there's no "fault" involved. They handled it, the intrusion, the exposure, the constant attention...reporters parked outside their homes, waiting for them to appear, photographers clamoring for a shot.

That's the price of the ticket. They were all flown astronauts, and as such, had already made public appearances and had attention directed their way...but not like this.

The very next day, these three would be flown to New York, where they'd begin an all day, all night trip across the country.

Think about that...

Ticker tape parades where millions of people would see them in-person in New York, then in Chicago, then in Los Angeles. They'd give speeches, pose for photographs, have ceremonies in each city, be presented the keys to the cities, and finally, have a state dinner with the President of the United States where they had to give speeches and be the center of attention again...where they'd be interrupted by Congresspersons in the bathroom for autographs while they were trying to pee--all that sort of stuff.

All that in one day, and it was just the start of what would be the best part of a month and a half on a round the world tour, where it would be repeated dozens of times...then hometown parades, speeches before Congress, etc., etc...

Not something I would've looked forward to in the least.

They knew it was coming.

That's part of what you see in their faces.

Would you really suggest that guilt or innocence is determined on the FBI's say-so?

The guy in the video may have worked for the FBI, but the information he gives is based on research that goes beyond any connection an individual may have with any organization.

As to your question however, I don't feel the FBI's decision making in regards to where guilt or innocence may lie should be relied upon any more than that of the government. Yet most people believe whatever it is the government tells them to believe and then react negatively to those that dare question it. It happens quite often in this section of the forums.

The guy in the video may have worked for the FBI, but the information he gives is based on research that goes beyond any connection an individual may have with any organization.

As to your question however, I don't feel the FBI's decision making in regards to where guilt or innocence may lie should be relied upon any more than that of the government. Yet most people believe whatever it is the government tells them to believe and then react negatively to those that dare question it. It happens quite often in this section of the forums.

I was just pointing out the irony of someone who is normally very anti-government suddenly claiming that you can tell whether someone is lying or not because the FBI says so. If there is any actual research to back up what the guy says, why not link to the research rather than to a government source?

Ticker tape parades where millions of people would see them in-person in New York, then in Chicago, then in Los Angeles. They'd give speeches, pose for photographs, have ceremonies in each city, be presented the keys to the cities, and finally, have a state dinner with the President of the United States where they had to give speeches and be the center of attention again...where they'd be interrupted by Congresspersons in the bathroom for autographs while they were trying to pee--all that sort of stuff.

Hello MID, just wanted to ask (before I go looking) do you know of any footage on any further speeches given during the State trip as stated above?

thanks in advance

This guy explains it great!

He explains some rather well known principals to people involved in interrogation techniques.

Trained interrogators and investigators know these things.

However, they're irrelevant to the issue at hand, as no one was interrogating the crew of Apollo 11, nor did anyone have a reason to do so.