Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apollo 11 post-flight press conference

SolarPlexus

Must have been a refresher course in their acting class :-)

P.S.

Am I the only one who considers the idea that NASA would hire such bad actors, while they were trying to fool the whole world, as plain stupid?

:rofl:

Hiring a bunch of Military officers, or former military officers, who happened to be research pilots, engineers, or scientists...men with integrity, disciplined educations and backgrounds, who all competed mightily for their positions on flight crews, to fool the whole world (when they would have rather died than have participated in such a thing)...,would've been just a wee stupid.

And of copurse, hiring all those flight controllers and directors, most of whom were of similar backgrounds, and expecting them to participate in a joke...?

Yea...the mindset that even implies this as remotely plausible is...in a word...stupid.

Speaking of happy images, here's one of Von Barun being carried through the streets of Huntsville after the successful moon landing. Of course, one could argue about the morality of his transition from Nazi technocrat to all-American hero, but there are many happy pictures from this 1969 landing.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hebrewhistory.info/images/factpaper/45.5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hebrewhistory.info/factpapers/fp045_silverstein.htm&usg=__uFlASTVQqAyJp-zgGMudLc9R5Lo=&h=189&w=300&sz=14&hl=en&start=29&sig2=2DmMLA5V0HFbgDKh5_wBHg&zoom=1&tbnid=FO9ZA3DLGyYnAM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=175&ei=rhcJTckdxbLyA-DEhBE&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvon%2Bbraun%2Bmoon%2Blanding%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D619%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10,1000&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=744&vpy=302&dur=942&hovh=151&hovw=240&tx=217&ty=116&oei=_hYJTYykGcSBswbO1IiUAw&esq=2&page=3&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:29&biw=1024&bih=619

And others...like the next one....

27 November, 1969

ap12-69-H-1764.jpg

And then there's these happy guys, 9 February, 1971...

ap14-KSC-71P-168.jpg

That guy in the center....I'd have loved to se anyone approach him with the idiotic ideas we see today about Moon hoaxes and such crap.

that man was (at that time) captain Alan Shepard (USN...U.S. Naval Academy, 1944), Chief of the Astronaut Office and America's first man in space. He would in a couple years be Rear Admiral Shepard, and he was a man of integrity, a supreme Naval Aviator, and you simply didn't screw with this man. He could make you cold with a single stare, commanded the utmost respect, and if there were any shenanigans involved with the Apollo Program, that man would've spoken, loudly, brashly, and would've exposed everything without a skipped beat anywhere. That man...was integrity exemplified, and he would've told any one who suggested he participate in a hoax to go "****" themselves...from a Manager to the Secretary of the Navy to the President of the United States.

Al has been gone for 12 years.

May you have good tailwinds Admiral!

:tu:

s71-20373.jpg

" Are you kiddin' me?! Ed, Stu: who the hell said we faked this?"

s70-34904.jpg

"Are you the idiot?"

Edited by MID

Lets have a look at other Apollo crews:

ap8-68-H-1450.jpg

Apollo 8

ap16-72-H-470.jpg

Apollo 16

ap17-72-HC-907.jpg

Apollo 17

Some pretty happy people there!

And here's a favourite of mine. I call it...

Hey - Apollo Hoaxers, you know what we think?

Ap1.jpg

• Like 1

And here's a favourite of mine. I call it...

Hey - Apollo Hoaxers, you know what we think?

Ap1.jpg

:w00t:

God bless all those guys....

The Shuttle astronauts seem to be quite jovial in their post-mission press conferences, etc. - and they just stayed in LEO.

The Apollo 11 crew is inside a capsule, smiling out to their wives. And they look very happy to be heroes in a grand parade.

But nothing is happy when they have to answer some questions from the press. To me, they look shameful at times, nervous, and seem to dread being there in general.

And they can't even answer on their own, it's all being fed to them on hidden screens?

If they really did fly to the moon and back, they wouldn't need answers fed to them. Only those three COULD answer such questions as - could they could see stars from the moon, or to describe the soil, etc. Nobody else could answer for them - but they did - and it's utterly ridiculous.

The Shuttle astronauts seem to be quite jovial in their post-mission press conferences, etc. - and they just stayed in LEO.

What they, by and large, just did was execute an extremely busy and often difficult mission...the trip of a lifetime in a magnificent vehicle, to a magnificent vehicle.

They are happy, as they should be upon completing such an impeccable flight, as they all do routinely.

The Apollo 11 crew is inside a capsule, smiling out to their wives. And they look very happy to be heroes in a grand parade.

Most people would be.

But nothing is happy when they have to answer some questions from the press. To me, they look shameful at times, nervous, and seem to dread being there in general.

They smiled. But by and large, they simply narrated their flight in detail.

To you, they would look shameful, nervous and in a state of dread.

That is no surprise to me, nor anyone else here I should think.

What they were was tired, exposed to the public in ways that few astronauts, if any, have been since. This was not their bag, as-it-were, and this has been explained many, many times.

And they can't even answer on their own, it's all being fed to them on hidden screens?

that's a new one...not original, but new nonetheless.

No, no one "fed them answers on hidden screens". Neil Armstrong and crew were perfectly capable of answering the questions put to them about their trip, which of course they did. The notion is ridiculous.

If they really did fly to the moon and back, they wouldn't need answers fed to them. Only those three COULD answer such questions as - could they could see stars from the moon, or to describe the soil, etc. Nobody else could answer for them

IOf course not, and no one did answer for them, ever. Because they did go to the Moon, and back, just like John Young and Tom Stafford and Gene Cernan had before them, and Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders before them.

- but they did - and it's utterly ridiculous.

You're right about that. The very notion, which of course is speculative nonsense, and completely unprovable by you, or anyone, anywhere, is utterly ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Go ahead and ridicule guys, its what you do best :) But know this. Truth wants to be known. They cannot hide it forever :)

The behavior is odd as these men were hot shots, test pilots and ego maniacs. This would have been a time to shine so yes there behavior is off imo.

Indeed, thank you for being objective :)

• 1 year later...

hi guys, sorry to dig up an old thread.. pretty much created this account to ask a single question.. I could never deal with the frustration of arguing with people like the OP, clearly a good-natured guy but ignorant and silly nonetheless.

Anyhow: I was wondering if any of you know whether Neil Armstrong (RIP) had a stutter? As someone who used to stutter, there are a few moments - certainly the most awkward in a pretty awkward press conference - when I can feel in Armstrong's body language the kind of panic that grabs you when you realize you're about to stutter or choke on a word.

If Armstrong did indeed stutter, it would definitely help explain why he seems particularly uncomfortable in this interview - one which was being watched by hundreds of millions of people the world over, propelling him into a mythical status of immortality that few humans in the history of our species can even remotely compare to. Somewhere deep down he knew that him, this kid from Ohio, was going to be in the history books, forever. His name would be up there next to Jesus Christ himself.

As a former stutterer, I can safely say a situation like that might make me sound a bit weird.

Edited by danielins

Hi and welcome!

To the best of my knowledge, he wasn't a stutterer.

I'd also like to welcome you to UM... And thanks for resurrecting this thread... I'd never read it before and some of the posts were ... um... entertaining... to say the least...

I don't know of any astronaut that had a stutter - though in the movie "The Right Stuff" they had John Glenn's wife with a stutter (not sure if that's real or not)...

The thing is, these guys were engineers... And one thing I've learned about engineers over the years is that many of them are brilliant - sort of 'practical scientists'... but few of them are public speakers... When I looked at the video in this thread, i saw three bone tired engineers, being extremely careful with their speech because they were facing reporters.... Not because they were trying to hide anything... There was nothing to hide... They just didn't want to be in the limelight ....

The poster that listed a few 'tells' that marked them as 'liars' in his opinion... neglected to point out that those same tells that indicate 'falsehood' can also indicate 'shyness'....

Oh for Chr**** sake, now Armstrong was a stutterer.

Maybe that was an affliction enforced on him by the moon men who dodged moon boulders and sprinkled moon dust on him and his crew so they were moon tired when they came back to Earth.

I have read the posts on this thread. I am certain that some posters are moon men who want to be as famous as Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. Unfortunately, they haven't got the brains, guts and ability that those 3 have.

Plus the fact NASA won't send them into space.

Damn. I guess they'll just have to keep bitc***.

Oh for Chr**** sake, now Armstrong was a stutterer.

Maybe that was an affliction enforced on him by the moon men who dodged moon boulders and sprinkled moon dust on him and his crew so they were moon tired when they came back to Earth.

Yep. Thats pretty much what I was trying to say. Good job at reading between the lines man!

..Or maybe you should relax, read what I actually posted, and realize you're overreacting to a pretty innocuous question.

Anyway, for everyone else, thanks for the welcome. I'm not much of a message board person so I won't be around much. I'm just a guy who has had a lifelong love affair with the Apollo missions, saw this thread, and became curious.

Back on topic.. I had never heard of Armstrong being a stutterer either, which is why I asked. But the more I watch videos of his public appearances, I think he may have had a mild speech impediment, one he possibly never mentioned publicly. I'm NOT trying to accuse Armstrong of anything, just that his mannerisms indicate some slight stuttering issues when he's being probed by the public eye.

Again, this is something I feel I have at least some authority on, having a (suppressed) speech impediment myself, unlike some other posters in this thread who think they are capable of detecting "lies" because they saw a hokey 15 minute Youtube video on the subject

Edited by danielins

Yes, Annie Glenn does stutter but not as badly as she did when she was younger.

Hey guys! you’ve just went to the moon!

What’s going on? Cheer up!

Three astronauts who just came back from the god damned Moon for the first time (!), instead of being ecstatic and smiling, look like they are on a funeral clutching their hands together or like they shat in their pants.

This is what happens when you threaten people, and make them walk a thin line between saying enough and not saying too much. "For the good of your country" ofcourse! We all have are orders son!

And lastly let me say this - I dont think Apollo 11 was a hoax... I think man was definitely on the Moon... but these people are obviously being threatened and forced to hide something they witnessed during the mission. Armstrong at 0:35 ?? Come on!

One of the single most tenuous conspiracy "theories" I've ever heard.

• 2 months later...

Now that you're on the ET side of the forum, that's fine. Academics doesn't always find a home here.

You were in the Moon hoax thread, where you'd be held to a level and burden of proof of your contentions which is rather daunting (albeit completely logical) for some.

Moving this here was a mercifully good idea....

And you sir are held to a burden of prove to show that what you are saying is right.

Area 51 suspiciously has an area in their desert regions in which looks exactly like the grainy, black and white pictures beamed back to earth. Where did Mr Armstrong all of a sudden learn to fly so perfectly when less than 30-days earlier he crashed the proto-type to the point they were looking to axe the mission.

Mr Buzz Aldren himself stated they saw things on the moon that he can't explain as anything the mysterious flying objects - it's in his book feel free to pick it up and read it - and so really you can't sit here and claim to people that they have burden of proof.

You, my friend, know as much as I do that the photos available on the internet from NASA and the Apollo 11 flight don't always come with the identification number and so demanding that from people "to show their proof" is nothing but you getting on your "high horse" thinking you are better than everyone else because you know of identification numbers.

You should never believe everything the government tells you because while the left hand is waving at you the right hand is stabbing you in the back.

and so really you can't sit here and claim to people that they have burden of proof.

Actually he can, as MID actully understands the concept of scientific burden of proof, which you clearly don't.

That which is already considered to be true, in this case the official Apollo story, has no burden of proof, it is considered to have already passed it.

That which is new or at variance from the accepted truth has TOTAL burden of proof.

Unless the new theory can be shown to be true (or at least a better fit of the observed facts) then it is rejected.

Maybe you would like to try again when you understand some very basic principles of scientific logic.

MID has not posted here for a while now, but let me tell you something, MID knows more about Apollo than you ever will. Some of us watched it, a few were involved. MID is in the second category.

Your post is just a rehash of some of the sad, tired hoax nonsense that has been disproved over and over again.

There are two types of people when it comes to the Apollo hoax theory, those that believe it and those that ACTUALLY understand logic and the evidence.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 1

What's going on is that they just completed the mission of their lifetimes.

They'd been sequestered from the planet for nearly a month, Had been in continual debriefings since their return and all through their quarantine, we're being primed to take a month and a half long trip around the world, something none of them relished at all, had been the subject of intense media scrutiny, something they also did not like, and were now sitting in front of hundreds of them, three engineers giving a presentation of what they had just done.

Neil Armstrong was particularly bashful, and had never been known as the type of person who was comfortable in such situations.

This was the part of the mission that they did not look forward to in the least...the beginning of world wide media and public exposure. They merely did their jobs, and presented the facts and some impressions.

That's all you're seeing there.

Because you think they should have expressed ecstacy does not mean that men who are not given to free expression of emotion should simply behave as you think they should.

They didn't like it, but they did it, as professionals. Because they didn't stand up there beating their chests declaring that they were first on the Moon means nothing, save that they weren't those kind of people...especially Commander Armstromng, who was spokesman for the crew.

What they had was an obligation: to appear in public as ambassadors of the United States and of NASA. Making up nonsense about threats they may have received because they do not behave like they just won the Super Bowl is ridiculous. And false.

Prove that, please.

What in hades did they see on the Moon that no one was supposed to know about, and that their hundreds of detailed photographs and hours of live comments not reveal?

In seeing Armstrong's halting manner I begin to understand why he became almost a recluse compared to Aldrin. The guy just seemed shy.