Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

is talking to the dead in dreams normal?

fridaythepirate

wierd enough my dad passed away in a motorcycle accident on 8/29/2010.. i have always been a believer in paranormal but wondered what it meant that my dad has visited my dreams. most recently last night. and it was the best nights sleep i have had since the accident ironically. it didnt start with him before i got to him there were massive winds and huge waves crashing around... i sank beneath the waters into a calm room made of wood and he was there i followed him to a path that led to a forest and there was a cabin where my mom also appeared (she is the survivor of accident) and we sat by a fire and talked to him .. he just reminded me that love will see me through all obstacles and that i should not worry of my future. i could never talk.. which was hard since i have so much to say and ask him.. he grabs my hand and we saddle up our horses and ride into the forest and by the horizon he fades and yet again i never get to say goodbye.. but awoke feeling as confused as when the dream started.. is this normal to dream of him?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• JGirl

• ShadowofaDoubt

• fridaythepirate

I did have dreams about my grandfather and great grandmother after they died in which I seemed to be communicating with them. Neither of these was very pleasant, though.

There is a belief that when you sleep your spirit is actually going back to the spirit realm to renew, recharge and learn. And our dreams are sometimes a reflection of this. With this school of thought, you are able to communicate and interact with your deceased loved ones. Growing on this belief, the place where your Dad led you to could be the home he has built for himself and your mother in the spirit realm.

The science side of things says that dreams are your mind's way of dealing with things. From the minute to the life altering. It is much more efficient when it doesn't have your pesky, loud conscious mind getting in the way.

I personally see how either can be true. I also see how they could correlate.

I had dreams of my best friend after she was killed 2 years ago. Very vivid and real, no dancing unicorns or craziness like that but still some symbolism that I easily understood or could sort out. Like you, at first I couldn't talk to her. And there were times I could see her but couldn't get to her, no matter how hard I tried and fought. But I had this one amazing dream where I could. In the dream we were at her house but it wasn't the house she had with her husband in life. It was their house without a doubt though. I had an awareness that I only had a very limited time with her. I tried getting as much out as possible. When she started to try to end the visit I started crying and begging her to not make me leave. She said this to me... "I have to go now. But you know how to find me and you know I'm never far away". That was kind of the turning point in my grieving, I suppose. Still very hard to deal with and I long for her every single day but my feeling of having lost her completely diminished so greatly.

I hope your dreams are as therapeutic as mine have been. McGuffin, I hope the same for you in the future.

My brother passed aways a couple of years ago. I have dreams about him from time to time. Not quite sure what to think about it, but I pay attention when he is there.

But here is a creepy event that happened once. I had not seen my children for some time, one night I had an awakening dream.... thats a dream where you seem to wake up to normal life, move through your day then something strange happens and you realize you are asleep, then you wake again. Anyway, in this awaking dream, I dreamt that I saw something move in my bedroom, I walked in to find my son in there. At this point I became lucid. Meaning that I knew that I was asleep, and that I was dreaming. Some of you may have done this yourself.... usually when this happens I can take control of the dream... go for a fly around the world.. that kind of stuff. Only this time I became lucid, because I knew that my son was not at my house. Yet in my dream was this person, who was still trying to convince me he was my son. I could not control this being, and I knew it did not belong, and I knew that I was not creating him either. There was something very sinister about this being, as it was telling me that it(in form of my son remember)did not love me, did not want to see me ever again... and so on. I eventually took it by the arm and slung it into the wall, saying over and over agian that it was not my son. Then I awoke to actual realitiy. I took note of this dream, because just a couple of days before, I had one about my daughter, which I did not become lucid. In that dream she also told me many hurtful things.

The next day, I was hangin with my freinds and I related these dreams... my friends would not allow me to go home that night. I was told that I needed to go my house the next day, remove all crystals in the house and bury them outside in the dirt, then smudge the house with sage and pray in everyroom, with the strong intent that any unwelcome entity in my house was to leave. which I did, and to date I have not had any bad dreams or strange feelings in the house. If you are curious about the crystals, I was told that if they are not cleaned from time to time, or allowed to sit in nature they can absorb negative energy around me, my freinds, my house and so on. And that an entity can use these crystals to hide in, making any sort of exercism moot. So I have them outside recharging so to speak... before I bring them back in I will smudge them with more sage and an eagle feather.

so yeah I do think you can talk to the dead in dreams, but you can be approached by other things too.

Seems completely normal to me. I would think it is only natural for your mind to dredge up memories of ones you have loved and lost in your dreams. For example, my grandmother and her house very often seem to figure in my dreams in some way, even if the subject matter of the dream would otherwise have nothing to do with them. As she is probably the most prominent person that I have lost up to this point in life, it seems natural for memories of her to take a prominent place in my subconscious.

i would say yes it's normal, in the respect that there is nothing you can't dream about.

i dream of people who have passed away once in a while, and i wish i could summon those i wish to speak to specifically. i haven't been able to manage that, unfortunately.

I dream my teeth fall out and i can never walk very well (or run when I'm being chased!). :sleepy:

ever find you can't scream either?

I dream I am young, thin waisted , and darn good looking. I hate waking up!

I dream I am young, thin waisted , and darn good looking. I hate waking up!

I never remember my dreams once in a while I do but not for a very long time.

Meeting and talking to dead relatives in dreams can be a comfort, and kinda cool.

That, however, doesnt make them any more "real" than other weird dreams that people have.

wierd enough my dad passed away in a motorcycle accident on 8/29/2010.. i have always been a believer in paranormal but wondered what it meant that my dad has visited my dreams. most recently last night. and it was the best nights sleep i have had since the accident ironically. it didnt start with him before i got to him there were massive winds and huge waves crashing around... i sank beneath the waters into a calm room made of wood and he was there i followed him to a path that led to a forest and there was a cabin where my mom also appeared (she is the survivor of accident) and we sat by a fire and talked to him .. he just reminded me that love will see me through all obstacles and that i should not worry of my future. i could never talk.. which was hard since i have so much to say and ask him.. he grabs my hand and we saddle up our horses and ride into the forest and by the horizon he fades and yet again i never get to say goodbye.. but awoke feeling as confused as when the dream started.. is this normal to dream of him?

Yes, it's normal for a loved one to come to you in a dream... it's easier for you to accept and not be afraid and not question as much... but, as you develop you don't have to be asleep to see spirits.. that will be completely up to you and your growth.. how much you are willing to put into it...

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

You're not the only one who has talked to the dead in their dreams - I have done so numerous times and I personally think that it is normal :)

It gives you strength, if you are talking to a dead relative. When your dead relative talks to you, it makes you feel warm inside; like they're not going to abandon you and they want to show you that they love you, don't you think?

Its lovely to have the power to talk to the dead in your sleep, you can ask them many questions.

in 1979, my grandfather(step) had tried to molest me. i was 9 at the time,

when i was 11, on x-mas eve, he passed away in our livingroom.

the day before his funeral, i took a small nap. sleeping on aunts and uncles coats.

i felt someone sit on the bed, looked up and saw my granpap crying. he said nothing,

and i saw in his face what he was asking. i forgave him.

when i was 9, he tried to toung kiss me. i said no and he stopped.

i, to this day wonder if there were others.

in 1979, my grandfather(step) had tried to molest me. i was 9 at the time,

when i was 11, on x-mas eve, he passed away in our livingroom.

the day before his funeral, i took a small nap. sleeping on aunts and uncles coats.

i felt someone sit on the bed, looked up and saw my granpap crying. he said nothing,

and i saw in his face what he was asking. i forgave him.

when i was 9, he tried to toung kiss me. i said no and he stopped.

i, to this day wonder if there were others.

i am very sorry that you lost your father.

There is a belief that when you sleep your spirit is actually going back to the spirit realm to renew, recharge and learn. And our dreams are sometimes a reflection of this. With this school of thought, you are able to communicate and interact with your deceased loved ones. Growing on this belief, the place where your Dad led you to could be the home he has built for himself and your mother in the spirit realm.

The science side of things says that dreams are your mind's way of dealing with things. From the minute to the life altering. It is much more efficient when it doesn't have your pesky, loud conscious mind getting in the way.

I personally see how either can be true. I also see how they could correlate.

I had dreams of my best friend after she was killed 2 years ago. Very vivid and real, no dancing unicorns or craziness like that but still some symbolism that I easily understood or could sort out. Like you, at first I couldn't talk to her. And there were times I could see her but couldn't get to her, no matter how hard I tried and fought. But I had this one amazing dream where I could. In the dream we were at her house but it wasn't the house she had with her husband in life. It was their house without a doubt though. I had an awareness that I only had a very limited time with her. I tried getting as much out as possible. When she started to try to end the visit I started crying and begging her to not make me leave. She said this to me... "I have to go now. But you know how to find me and you know I'm never far away". That was kind of the turning point in my grieving, I suppose. Still very hard to deal with and I long for her every single day but my feeling of having lost her completely diminished so greatly.

I hope your dreams are as therapeutic as mine have been. McGuffin, I hope the same for you in the future.

<3 thank you =)

ever find you can't scream either?

Those ones were frequent to me. I hate them, damn annoying.

Anything goes in dreams, so talking to dead folks, ghosts of dead folks, vampires, law enforcements officers,aliens :alien: , bad actors, is expected, if not demanded. :yes:

No, is not normal. You don't see many other people consciously talking to the dead in their dreams. That being said, I don't think whether it's "normal" or not, is important. Just do whatever you want.

I think it's more common than normal...at least in my family. I talked to my grandma in a dream and when I woke up I found out she was dead. My mother has also been having dreams of her dead father. He was a horrible person and she hasn't dreamed about him in years and now she sees him in her sleep every night and she doesn't like it. Mediums and Clairvoyants run in my family...you may have a gift..

Edited by Disembodied Voice