Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lochness Monster - Myth or Truth?

Dradan

Yes I just read a supposed sighting, I agree with you for the first part but I believe I read somewhere and watched a documentary showing plesiosaurs being capable of leaving the water.

A plesiosaur flopping around on land would be kind of hard to hide. I'm thinking of those walking catfish, but the size of a car.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dradan

• Still Waters

• psyche101

• Clobhair-cean

Yes I just read a supposed sighting, I agree with you for the first part but I believe I read somewhere and watched a documentary showing plesiosaurs being capable of leaving the water.

Actually our present understanding is that large Plesiosaurs couldn't leave the water, they couldn't have moved themselves. And they had no reason to leave the water, since they gave birth to live offspring and ate marine animals.

Actually our present understanding is that large Plesiosaurs couldn't leave the water, they couldn't have moved themselves. And they had no reason to leave the water, since they gave birth to live offspring and ate marine animals.

Not to mention that current research indicates that plesiosaurs could not move their necks in an up-and-down fashion thus making some of the more famous Loch Ness photos impossible for plesiosaurs to pull off.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at this video from FirstscienceTV. A new spot in Lochness measuring a depth of 812ft were discovered some years back. An underwater cave seems to be existent, which has been referred to as "Nessie's lair". I'm not saying that a large creature is hiding in that area, but merely pointing out that underwater caves does exists in Lochness.

I was able to finally get the episode to download and... there's no cave. They actually explain why the area would be a poor place to expect to find caves.

None of the geological reports I've pulled on the Loch have mentioned a cave.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

After watching a bunch of documentaries since i made this thread, i have come to the conclusion that its probably just a lake sturgeon, a large freshwater fish, as well as misidentifications such as boat wakes. The idea of a prehestoric monster living in loch ness is fascinating though.

Edited by Aldves

1 hour ago, Aldves said:

After watching a bunch of documentaries since i made this thread, i have come to the conclusion that its probably just a lake sturgeon, a large freshwater fish, as well as misidentifications such as boat wakes. The idea of a prehestoric monster living in loch ness is fascinating though.

i didnt read your full thread no need, but is nessie real? sure it is but an unknown lake monster, no, its a human constuct not unlike bigfoot, not a living flesh and blood creature, but still very real.

but sure if tje person really saw anything its what you listed

On 2/22/2011 at 10:29 AM, Still Waters said:

Over 50 images have been recorded but only six of these have stood the test of time, the others are either fakes or mis-identifications. The most famous of these images is the 'surgeon' photo taken by gynacologist Kenneth Wilson in 1934.

His photo showed what looked like a large neck and head emerging from the loch although with nothing visible in the background a scale could never be found. It is now pretty much agreed that the surgeon photo was faked by using a plastic-wood model attached to a toy submarine.

http://www.greatplay.net/uselessia/articles/nessie.html

Yeah..Here's the hoax:

http://hoaxes.org/photo_database/image/the_surgeons_photo/