Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
Bracket

[Archived] Lets Count to a Million (Game)

3,014 posts in this topic

1251. Berlin received its city charter in 1251 AD, some 50 years after it was founded. (And some 700 years before it was nearly destroyed, but that's another story).

In 1252 Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bull Ad exstirpanda, which authorizes the torture of heretics in the Medieval Inquisition. Torture quickly gains widespread usage across Catholic Europe.

1253 is about the time people start to think about what they will have for lunch at one o'clock.

1254 is the number of grains of salt in my salt shaker.

In 1255 the final Cathar stronghold in southern France falls, eliminating their last refuge since the Roman Catholic Church began the Albigensian Crusade to crush the sect in 1209.

1256 - The number of raindrops i will attempt to catch in my mouth. I'm thirsty and the fridge is far.

1257. The College de Sorbonne was founded in Paris in 1257 AD.

In 1258 the Siege of Baghdad ends with a battle in which Hulagu Khan's Mongol forces overrun Baghdad, then the leading center of Islamic culture and learning and capital of the Abbasid Caliphate. They burn the imperial city to the ground, killing as many as 1,000,000 citizens.

1259. King Christopher I of Denmark (b.1219) died in 1259 AD.

In 1260 the Mamluks defeat the Mongols at the Battle of Ain Jalut in Galilee, marking their first decisive defeat and the point of maximum expansion of the Mongol Empire.

1261 - The number of minutes i have been consistently bored for.

In 1262 King Mindaugas of Lithuania renounces Christianity, returning to his pagan roots and reverting to Grand Duke of Lithuania.

1263. United #1263 will zoom you from Washington-Dulles International to Los Angeles International in 5 hours and 5 minutes. Bon voyage.

In 1264 Kublai Khan defeats his brother and pretender to the title of Khagan, or Khan of Khans, Ariq Boke, who surrenders to Kublai and is summarily imprisoned. He dies a year later under mysterious circumstances, possibly by poisoning, but the cause of death is still uncertain. However, this battle essentially marks the end of a unified Mongol Empire.

1265. Dante (of Dante's Inferno fame) was born in 1265 AD.

1266, In this year I held a big party to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. The party got a bit out of hand, the Police were called and I got an ASBO...

In 1267 the leadership of Vienna forces Jews to wear Pileum cornutum,a cone-shaped head dress, in addition to the yellow badges Jews are already forced to wear.

1268. Pope Clement IV died in November 1268 AD. The election process to find a successor is the longest in Catholic Church history and lasted almost three years until September 1271.

On Novemeber 22nd 1267 a very strong earthquake jolted the historical city of Neishabour in Iran and destroyed it. The city was rebuilt in three years.

1269 - Cobalt times Silver

1270. The cathedral on the Rock of Cashel in Ireland was completed in 1270 AD,

1271, Madonna was born.

1272 - The first recorded reference is made to the game of cricket.

In 1273 King Otakar II of Bohemia captures Bratislava from Hungary.

1274 Fifth Avenue, New York City, New York