Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help clarify this Hy-Brasil/Atlantis thing?

Soul Kitchen

So I read the article about the alien-given binary code that supposedly gave the coordinates for hy-brasil. Hy-Brasil is a legendary island said to have been populated by advanced humans, like atlantis.

What bothers me is that this sounds really interesting, yet I've heard of no investigations. The binary story is a little strange for me too immediately accept, but it's worth looking at the coordinates right? Hy-Brasil could be significant on so many levels, it raises a lot of questions from me.

Has anyone checked out the coordinates? Is Hy-Brasil an actual geographical place or just a myth? If it was an actual place, has there been any archeological investigations where it used to be?

At the very least I'd like to know more about the legend.

• Like 2

No a myth, hence no invistgations.

It is the topic of many myths, but that shouldn't mean that it can't exist.

A myth alone may not warrant a proffesional investigation, but at this point there should be one due to the elevated interest in the island.

Edited by Thesantanafan

disregard this post also :)

Edited by Sakari

I've been having an irritating day, man. Then I see his conclusively dismissing what I was interested in and I got annoyed, and I was really eager to learn more about this. Maybe I was imagining rudeness when he was just politely answering my question, it's very hard to tell over the internet.

Sometimes it is , and sometimes here it can be obvious :)

I saw something on this the other day , it must have been on the show that had the binary code.I do recall for sure , they said " Hy-Brasil " is a very important place when it comes to UFOlogy....That really is as far as I got with it , although I hope more people will chime in here with more information.

I did hear there is a " sunken " Island at those coordinates?...But hey , it was Ancient Aliens , so who knows...

Here is a start for you..

When discussing underwater lore and legends, Atlantis is an obvious subject of interest. However, the lost island of Hy-Brasil is just as intriguing and has more first-person accounts.Hy-Brasil is also spelled Hy-Breasal, Hy-Brazil, Hy-Breasil, Brazir and related variations. It may be the reason that the South American country, Brazil, was so named. The central image on the Brazilian flag, a circle with a channel across the center, is the symbol for Hy-Brasil on early maps.

The name of Hy-Brasil may come from the Middle Ages term brazil, which seems to indicate a source of rare red dye. The dye may have acquired its name from the legendary island, or vice versa.

Or, the name Hy-Brasil, also called the Fortunate Island, may originate with the old Irish word, breas, meaning noble or fortunate.

In folklore, this island country takes its name from Breasal, the High King of the World, in Celtic history.

(He may or may not be related to Bresal Echarlam mac Echach Baethlaim, from the stories of Lugh at Tara. He was not St. Breasal, although pre-Christian folklore may be the foundation for that saint's legends.)

Hy-Brasil was noted on maps as early as 1325, when Genoese cartographer Dalorto placed the island west of Ireland. On successive sailing charts, it appears southwest of Galway Bay.

My link

Sometimes it is , and sometimes here it can be obvious :)

I saw something on this the other day , it must have been on the show that had the binary code.I do recall for sure , they said " Hy-Brasil " is a very important place when it comes to UFOlogy....That really is as far as I got with it , although I hope more people will chime in here with more information.

I did hear there is a " sunken " Island at those coordinates?...But hey , it was Ancient Aliens , so who knows...

Here is a start for you..

Thanks for the link. Didn't realize there was an actual connection to Brazil, I thought it just was a coincidence.

I'm going to look more into it with it's significance in UFOlogy. It would drive me mad if there actually is some sunken island at the coordinates.

Perhaps the coordinates coincide with the consistent location on maps. I'm going to check that out.

Edited by Thesantanafan

Thanks for the link. Didn't realize there was an actual connection to Brazil, I thought it just was a coincidence.

I'm going to look more into it with it's significance in UFOlogy. It would drive me mad if there actually is some sunken island at the coordinates.

Perhaps the coordinates coincide with the consistent location on maps. I'm going to check that out.

I will look later at this more , here is a little more from the same link , although I am sure you read it.....Things like this though need to be verified , you know how the internet and it's sites are.....

I will say this , I think this is a better answer than " it's a myth , so not investigated ".....Looks like it has been to me , how about you?

The last documented sighting of Hy-Brasil was in 1872, when author T. J. Westropp and several companions saw the island appear and then vanish. This was Mr. Westropp's third view of Hy-Brasil, but on this voyage he had brought his mother and some friends to verify the existence of Hy-Brasil.

Researchers and archaeologists have searched in the most likely locations west of Ireland, and there is evidence that islands existed there. Shallow-water shells have been found at Porcupine Bank, somewhat northwest of the most likely location of Hy-Brasil. Even further north, similar shells were discovered at Rockhall.

So, there is evidence of land mass changes in that part of the Atlantic Ocean.

The most distinctive geographical feature of Hy-Brasil, is that it appears on maps as a perfect circle, with a semi-circular channel through the center. The circular perimeter of the island was confirmed by both Saints Barrind and Brendan, who separately walked the shore to determine where the island ended, but never found it. Most likely, they were walking in circles.

Although Hy-Brasil does not have the fame of Atlantis, outside role-playing games, it is a story worth exploring.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/OrteliusWorldMap1570.jpg

Ortelius' map. Includes an island named "Brafil" which is supposedly Hy-Brasil. It's just a little west of the southern tip "Irlant" (Ireland).

Actually, it might not be Brafil. It's a strange character he used for the name, it's not the same as the other F's and neither is it the same as the other S's. However, the Brazil we know today is on the map as "Brafil" as well.

With the Spanish language, the accent of Spain is a lisp. I'm not sure how recent the accent is but that could account for the spelling.

Brasil + Accent = Bra-th-il. Brathil -> Brafil.

But the guy who made the map is Flemish, but a similar thing could have happened as a result of the nature of his own language. Or he could have heard the names from Spaniards.

But it was the portugese who discovered Brazil. Whatever, that's a different topic.

Edited by Thesantanafan

http://upload.wikime...orldMap1570.jpg

Ortelius' map. Includes an island named "Brafil" which is supposedly Hy-Brasil. It's just a little west of the southern tip "Irlant" (Ireland).

Something to keep in mind.....

My mind is full I guess , I should have mentioned this first thing.....

The coordinates came from the supposed " Binary Code ".....

If you feel that Binary Code claim is fact , then run with this....

If you feel like I do , that that Binary Code was made recently , and not from ET , then you will be wasting your time.

Hope that made sense....

I think that the Binary Code is bogus , and made up....Yes , someone made the code , but made it from a story , that means they though putting coordinates in for " Hy-Brasil " will make it more believable......

If your just looking into Hy-Brasil as a totally separate thing , so be it....But just keep in mind what I had posted when it comes to future replies :)

Something to keep in mind.....

My mind is full I guess , I should have mentioned this first thing.....

The coordinates came from the supposed " Binary Code ".....

If you feel that Binary Code claim is fact , then run with this....

If you feel like I do , that that Binary Code was made recently , and not from ET , then you will be wasting your time.

Hope that made sense....

I think that the Binary Code is bogus , and made up....Yes , someone made the code , but made it from a story , that means they though putting coordinates in for " Hy-Brasil " will make it more believable......

If your just looking into Hy-Brasil as a totally separate thing , so be it....But just keep in mind what I had posted when it comes to future replies :)

The binary code story is just what brought me to the subject. I haven't dismissed it yet, but I'm ready to move on. I will look a little more into it before doing so, though. But at this point my main concern is the credibility Hy-Brasil itself.

The binary code story is just what brought me to the subject. I haven't dismissed it yet, but I'm ready to move on. I will look a little more into it before doing so, though. But at this point my main concern is the credibility Hy-Brasil itself.

Good deal , glad you clarified that :)

orteliusmap.png

A look at one the maps featuring the "Myth" of an island.

I'll find some more.

Edited by Thesantanafan
  • Like 2

Interesting. I had never heard of Hy-Brasil before. Keep us posted if you find any more information on it!

brazilmercator_medium.jpg just another map.

http://antiqueprintsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/mythical-islands-brasil.html

The guy is mistaken about some facts and believes the island to be non-existent, but has a neat arrangment of information.

He speculates that the recorded voyages to Hy-Brasil might have actually been to North America. This wouldn't make much sense, as the maps depict Hy-Brasil as being adjacent to Ireland rather than across the ocean atlantic ocean.

Hy-Brasil begins to disappear from maps in the seventeenth century. I admit that I'm not sure how fast an island could go underwater. Islands aren't floating, so I'm fairly sure they don't "sink". Earthquakes could have altered the land so that it went underwater, or water levels could have risen. What's interesting is that in the nineteenth century, Hy-Brasil island became Roche De Bresil, which is basically Hy-Brasil rock. The last seen of the island before it went underwater?

Islands don't "float", so I'm fairly sure they don't "sink". But earthquakes could have altered the land so that it went underwater, or water levels could have risen.

Anybody know of anything significant about seismic/tectonic activity or rising water levels between 1400 and 1900?

Okay, 500 years is a little broad. It began disappearing from the maps in the 1700's, so how about activity near that century?

I have to agree that the event which drew you to this topic was probably fake, but the topic itself is truly interesting. Hy-Brasil seems to be a true mystery. I look forward to seeing any additional information people uncover about this mysterious island from antiquity.

In the mean time... may Santana rock on! :tu:

I have to agree that the event which drew you to this topic was probably fake, but the topic itself is truly interesting. Hy-Brasil seems to be a true mystery. I look forward to seeing any additional information people uncover about this mysterious island from antiquity.

In the mean time... may Santana rock on! :tu:

There is A LOT of room for this one. I am at peace with the possibility of finding that Hy-Brasil never existed, there is just so much room to research and speculate that it would be worth it.

As for Santana... His guitar sounds good with anything. Imagine Santana playing along with Beethoven's ninth. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Edited by Thesantanafan

Porcupine_Bank_and_Seabight%2C_NE_Atlantic.png

I looked into the bathymetry of the area.

The porcupine bank is the most significant thing there. I would like to think that it had been altered at some point by earthquakes or some other phenomenon, and that is possible that at some point a part of it could have been above the water.

However, I can't any indication that the oceanographic community has ever acknowledged such a possibility. I am going to look into it more, but any help would be much appreciated. :D

Don't know what to think of this, but the next suggests the island was known many ages ago:

New Map of England and Ireland

This map was based on information in geographer, Claudius Ptolemy's Geographia from the 2nd century A.D.

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/AABR004692.html

AABR004692.jpg?size=67&uid=6535706c-5fef-4790-8b77-eb3a7ab8c0fd&uniqID=0dd0bf80-5138-4ae9-9eb4-d771cd391f7e

There it is! Great find!

I'm really starting the think that this could have been a part of the porcupine bank.

It's one thing if it keeps showing up in stories, it's another thing entirely when it keeps showing up on MAPS.

And something I just found,

A book in which somebody researched the plausibility of the existence of Hy-Brasil and five other phantom islands. It's inexpensive and I'm tempted to order it, but I'm not sure.

The reviews indicate that he mainly addresses the cartography and probably believes the islands to have never existed, but I'm still convinced that the porcupine bank provides a plausiblee explanation.

Edited by Thesantanafan

There it is! Great find!

I'm really starting the think that this could have been a part of the porcupine bank.

It's one thing if it keeps showing up in stories, it's another thing entirely when it keeps showing up on MAPS.

And something I just found,

A book in which somebody researched the plausibility of the existence of Hy-Brasil and five other phantom islands. It's inexpensive and I'm tempted to order it, but I'm not sure.

The reviews indicate that he mainly addresses the cartography and probably believes the islands to have never existed, but I'm still convinced that the porcupine bank provides a plausiblee explanation.

Maybe you are interested in this post of mine: Porcupine Seabight

But don't forget to read the subsequent posts in that thread...

This video covers the subject...

http://worldnewstiger.com/hy-brasil-lumainian-connection-alien-message/2978/

Most of what they state as FACT in the video is highly speculative and most I can't even find references on, on the internet. Such as that these Hy-brasilian people had advanced technology.

Here is a screen shot of the coordinates from the video.

post-26883-0-15816700-1294602754_thumb.j

I think, personally, that this code was made by someone as a hoax. The guy in the video says someone would have to be a super-genius to figure out how to put this message into a binary code. But from my College classes, 13 years ago, I can say that just about any first year computer studies student could create such a code.

• Like 1

This video covers the subject...

http://worldnewstiger.com/hy-brasil-lumainian-connection-alien-message/2978/

Most of what they state as FACT in the video is highly speculative and most I can't even find references on, on the internet. Such as that these Hy-brasilian people had advanced technology.

Here is a screen shot of the coordinates from the video.

post-26883-0-15816700-1294602754_thumb.j

I think, personally, that this code was made by someone as a hoax. The guy in the video says someone would have to be a super-genius to figure out how to put this message into a binary code. But from my College classes, 13 years ago, I can say that just about any first year computer studies student could create such a code.

We moved past the binary code, that was really just what exposed me to Hy-Brasil. I agree with you, it is pretty fishy, and those cheesy History Channel alien investigation shows are not always to be completely trusted.

If the island existed, it's elusiveness would lead to exaggerated descriptions anyways. That's how it always goes when travelers find an exotic location, they exaggerate the hell out of it.