Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help clarify this Hy-Brasil/Atlantis thing?

Soul Kitchen

Perhaps the most famous UFO incident in UK history took place during the cold war in Rendlesham Forest. British and US airforce personnel were stationed at 2 RAF bases in the forest. A bright delta shaped craft was spotted and followed to a landing point by 2 officers. One of these was USAF staff officer James Penniston. When the craft landed, the two men took dimensions and details but Penniston put his hand on the surface of the craft. As he did, he began recieving images of a binary code. Years after the incident a binary code expert, Nick Ciste, was given Pennistons code and deciphered it as a set of co-ordinates whiich relate to a location approx 120 miles off the west of Ireland Clare coast. This corresponds with the alleged location of the mysterious isle of Hy Brasil. Hy Brasil appeared on maps up to 1865. It was said that the name derived from the old Irish 'Ui Breasail' which can be translated as clan of the mighty. Eye witmess reports said that an advanced civilisation lived on the island and that the buildings had golden roofs. It was said that an old magician lived in a tower there and that he was the authority on the Isle. There are several records of individuals such as Lord Nisbit from Fermanagh who ventured out to the island and came back with gold, silver and tales of wonder but also told stories of hideous sounds that filled the night air. After 1865, Hy Brasil no longer appears on maps or records. It has become the stuff of myth but it certainly was believed to exist at one time. I live on the Clare coast and I can tell you that some local fishermen believe that they have seen evidence of Hy Brasil in an area known as the porcupine reef. One man in particular said that he saw constructions beneath the surface that had to have been man-made. The difficulty is that water levels rise and fall perilously in this region and, what he may have seen at that time could be 100/200 feet below the waves on most other occasions. I find Hy Brasil fascinating and James Pennistons experience in Rendlesham Forest is, I believe, a strange but true event. Penniston would almost certainly not have heard of Hy Brasil when he submitted his binary code to Nick Ciste but the co-ordinates are specific and clearly identify what is believed by locals and folklorists as to be the location of our mysterious wee isle. Incidently, all recorded eye witness accounts state that Hy Brasil is perfectly circular and it appeared on pre-1865 maps in that fashion. I hope this has answered some questions for those who are asking and, like you all, i look forward to a time when a full and detailed underwater investigation is done into what could be a most incredible discovery.

Perhaps the most famous UFO incident in UK history took place during the cold war in Rendlesham Forest. British and US airforce personnel were stationed at 2 RAF bases in the forest. A bright delta shaped craft was spotted and followed to a landing point by 2 officers. One of these was USAF staff officer James Penniston. When the craft landed, the two men took dimensions and details but Penniston put his hand on the surface of the craft. As he did, he began recieving images of a binary code. Years after the incident a binary code expert, Nick Ciste, was given Pennistons code and deciphered it as a set of co-ordinates whiich relate to a location approx 120 miles off the west of Ireland Clare coast. This corresponds with the alleged location of the mysterious isle of Hy Brasil. Hy Brasil appeared on maps up to 1865. It was said that the name derived from the old Irish 'Ui Breasail' which can be translated as clan of the mighty. Eye witmess reports said that an advanced civilisation lived on the island and that the buildings had golden roofs. It was said that an old magician lived in a tower there and that he was the authority on the Isle. There are several records of individuals such as Lord Nisbit from Fermanagh who ventured out to the island and came back with gold, silver and tales of wonder but also told stories of hideous sounds that filled the night air. After 1865, Hy Brasil no longer appears on maps or records. It has become the stuff of myth but it certainly was believed to exist at one time. I live on the Clare coast and I can tell you that some local fishermen believe that they have seen evidence of Hy Brasil in an area known as the porcupine reef. One man in particular said that he saw constructions beneath the surface that had to have been man-made. The difficulty is that water levels rise and fall perilously in this region and, what he may have seen at that time could be 100/200 feet below the waves on most other occasions. I find Hy Brasil fascinating and James Pennistons experience in Rendlesham Forest is, I believe, a strange but true event. Penniston would almost certainly not have heard of Hy Brasil when he submitted his binary code to Nick Ciste but the co-ordinates are specific and clearly identify what is believed by locals and folklorists as to be the location of our mysterious wee isle. Incidently, all recorded eye witness accounts state that Hy Brasil is perfectly circular and it appeared on pre-1865 maps in that fashion. I hope this has answered some questions for those who are asking and, like you all, i look forward to a time when a full and detailed underwater investigation is done into what could be a most incredible discovery.

Hi captainkayos, and welcome to this site.

Much of what you posted has been posted before.

"One man in particular said that he saw constructions beneath the surface that had to have been man-made."

I guess you expect what I have to say about that: please show us photos.

Or else it will be nothing but hearsay.

Hi captainkayos, and welcome to this site.

Much of what you posted has been posted before.

"One man in particular said that he saw constructions beneath the surface that had to have been man-made."

I guess you expect what I have to say about that: please show us photos.

Or else it will be nothing but hearsay.

Hi Abramelin and thank you for your welcome. I fully understand your position. Fishermens tales are, after all, just fishermens tales but I am certainly intrigued by this particular case. I am skeptical of certain things but it is always wise to remember that the Panda was deemed a flight of fancy until it was positively identified. The same applies to the mountain gorilla, the polar bear, the manatee and a host of wildlife that was once considered fantastical. The coelacanth was understood to be extinct until one was filmed and new islands in the pacific ocean were being charted up to 20yrs ago. Of course a picture paints a thousand words but it is important to remain open minded enough to, at least, consider the irrational in the absence of rational proof.

Hi Abramelin and thank you for your welcome. I fully understand your position. Fishermens tales are, after all, just fishermens tales but I am certainly intrigued by this particular case. I am skeptical of certain things but it is always wise to remember that the Panda was deemed a flight of fancy until it was positively identified. The same applies to the mountain gorilla, the polar bear, the manatee and a host of wildlife that was once considered fantastical. The coelacanth was understood to be extinct until one was filmed and new islands in the pacific ocean were being charted up to 20yrs ago. Of course a picture paints a thousand words but it is important to remain open minded enough to, at least, consider the irrational in the absence of rational proof.

The difference here is that they actually researched this area (Porcupine SeaBight/Bank) and didn't find anything like manmade constructions.

That Ancient Aliens show can really suck you in.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I did a little research about Hy-Brasil and the possibility of diving off the coast of Ireland and stumbled across the Integrated Mapping For the Sustainable Development of Ireland's Marine Resource (INFOMAR). It is a program funded by the Irish Government to map out the seabed around Ireland.

A lot of the data can be viewed with this interactive map.

http://spatial.dcenr.gov.ie/imf/imf.jsp?site=INFOMAR

If you click on Zoom Location on the top and then hit Zoom to WGS84 Lat / Long Coordinate, you can enter the coordinates provided by Jim's binary code. For Longitude, enter -13 13 12.69. For Latitude, enter 52 09 42.532. You can select the zoom width or use the zoom tool at the top. When you do this, you can clearly see a circular sunken island under water. I'm just kidding.. there doesn't appear to be anything there (but it is still fun to look around). One cool feature they offer is the location of sunken ship wrecks that they have come across. I wonder if there is any treasure in these ships?

The data can also be downloaded and viewed in Google Earth.

::EDIT::

I forgot to mention that although these coordinates don't show anything... If you look between 3h and 3b, there is a section of seabed that is relatively shallow.

Edited by XanderChris

Hi Xander, and welcome.

I tried that map. but it's a bit too glitchy for me.

Is it this 'island' you said you could see using that map? :

(From post 28, page 2)

Rockall_Trough.jpg

Interesting. I dont know how I missed this thread before. I will start reading from first to last.

You all seemed to have dismissed the binary part of this conversation. As I'm sure you all know binary is a very real code. Its been used for many many years. All it is, is morse code really. "1"s and "0"s...dots and dashes. Its one of the oldest languges in the world dating back even to the myans. Wouldn't the be the most logical way to send and recieve messages to and from aliens? As for the Hy-Brasil, I'm very interested in that. As to its validity I'm not sure. I'd like to believe it. For those of you that have watch Ancient Aliens you know that they "found" what they believe to be Atlantis and the theory that it lifted off the face of the earth (since it disappered in a cloud of fire and smoke in one day). I have to agree with an earlier post (sorry I can't remember your name lol) just because it doesn't make sense to us doesn't mean we can rule it out. Maybe Hy-Brasil was a sanctuary for aliens or other worldly beings. They don't need it anymore so its gone.

Flythrough showing the continental shelf off Ireland's coast which is being mapped by the INFOMAR project and its forerunner the Irish National Seabed Survey. This flythrough was made for a groundtruthing leg which was using an instrument called a vibrocore to take cores from the seabed off the west and north west coast to investigate the glacial history of the area. This research can in turn be used to predict possible changes that may come about due to climate change in the future.

Flythrough showing the continental shelf off Ireland's coast which is being mapped by the INFOMAR project and its forerunner the Irish National Seabed Survey. This flythrough was made for a groundtruthing leg which was using an instrument called a vibrocore to take cores from the seabed off the west and north west coast to investigate the glacial history of the area. This research can in turn be used to predict possible changes that may come about due to climate change in the future.

Compare:

brazilmercator_medium.jpg

HYBRASIL.jpg

I don't know what honestly to believe on this. I have spoken with a lot of people on this topic. The most interesting one I spoke with a priest. He told me that Hy-Brasil is a true island off the coast of Ireland, and that there is a secret in the Church about that island. He told me that he has read into this topic and researched it a lot. He apparently found out that there are parts missing in the Christian/Catholic Bible. According to this priest, what he found out is that Hy-Brasil could possibly be the true resting place of Lucifer (AKA Satan). He told me that it is only visible to us every six to seven years. I asked him why he simply did not know. Now Atlantis on the other hand there are have been recent discoveries that have made it possible for Atlantis to have existed. But Hy-Brasil honestly is more interesting. My question is, is it possible that Christianity and Religion itself is based on Extraterrestrial accounts? And is Jesus Christ, Satan, and God actually different beings from other planets? By no means do I mean this to be offensive to any religions, it just makes it very questionable. I've always heard stories of Hy-Brasil. Now the next thing this priest told me really started to scare me. He said that if anywhere on this planet we are to see a sort of celestial spiral in the sky. That it is really a warning of what is to come. I asked him what is supposed to happen, he simply wouldn't tell me. I don't understand why he wouldn't tell me but it definently scared me. I've also learned this, Governments around the world seem to have a real obsession with the thought of that island. There have been actual investigations into the island. But they have all been classified. I know that the US Government has investigated it many times, but as usual with the Government it's all classified. I don't know what to really believe about it, but I know one thing. Something is definently up with the island itself.

Well, according to this guy down the pub, who's researched this, Hy-Brasil was indeed an island nation. They won the World Cup seven times in a row some time in the 1200's, just before Sepp the Blatter took control of worldwide football. With his accession to the FIFA throne, Hy-Brasil were blattered (banned) from world football for fielding ineligible players, namely God, Jesus and Satan, all of whom were of dodgy origins and were uninterested in cash. It is rumoured that they also had special powers which they were not shy in using to gain an advantage.

The island never recovered from the shame.... and sometime in the 1300's it was sold as scrap. God, Jesus and Satan however saw an increase in their pupularity and, it is rumoured, have been fighting for the soul of King Sepp the Blatter ever since.

Hy-Brasil is said to disappear and from reports it appears mysteriously in the fog. The most recent report of it is from 1872. Hy-Brasil is the reason that Brazil is called Brazil, because when they landed in Brazil they thought it was Hy-Brasil. The island is said to rise once every seven years. Reports call this island a place of wonders and greatness, and in maps it is almost completely circular many believe (including me) that it had to do with aliens

So based on the assumption that the island is visible every 7 years and last seen in 1872 that would mean in 2012 it would be visible again based on the incremental.

So based on the assumption that the island is visible every 7 years and last seen in 1872 that would mean in 2012 it would be visible again based on the incremental.

Based on the same, it should have been visible in 2005.

Anyone?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Abramelin

• 3 weeks later...

I was waiting to hear something like this, I was uncertain about the validity of rising sea levels as a cause.

Now, could earthquakes have caused the dissapearance?

I'm not sure exactly how such things work, but it was supposed to be a relatively small island.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and found the section on Ancient Aliens on Disco very interesting.

I live in Wales UK and spent every summer school holiday near St Davids.I remember seeing quite a few UFOs overlooking St Davids Head, l was told be my gran that they came from an under water base there? She would always ask,so she said " an American who worked on the radar at the airport" and he would say if it was or not.

Regarding Sea levels. Britain was connected to the European mainland until it was flooded at the end of the last ice age. The bank was part of a large landmass, known as Doggerland or Doggers Bank. Fishing trawlers and underwater archeologist's continue to find artifacts in this area. I wounder if any deep fishing trawlers have ever found anything over Hy-Brasil?

Very interesting thread you have here!

I can't really offer much that hasn't already been said, but a little food for thought to the disappearance side of things if indeed the Island did exist - There has been mentionings of earthquakes being the cause of it's disappearance, but what about one of Earth's other destructive forces? By which I mean Volcanic activity. In particular the May 2010 eruption of Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano that caused no end of havoc over European Airspace. That eruption had a VEI (Volcanic Explosivity Index)of 4 which is considered "cataclysmic". The VEI scale goes from 0-8 (non explosive-gentle-explosive-severe-cataclysmic-paroxysmal-colossal-super colossal-mega colossal)

Moving on. What a lot people don't know is that not too far from Eyjafjallajökull is a larger Volcano (that is also currently having minor-ish rumblings), this volcano is known as Katla and is currently rated to be between 4-6 on the VEI - For the sake of Comparison, The St Helens eruption had a rating of 5 on the VEI, a rating of VEI 6 was given to the Mount Pinatubo. Katla is also partially covered by a Glacier which may help prove my point following point

Now that's the background out of the way, back to my theory. Some folks have already said that Hy Brasil showed up on maps until the 17/1800's, following on from that observation I decided to look up Icelands volcanic activity for that period and found that Katla erupted on Oct 17th, 1755 with a VEI of 5. I should also mention that Katla is located on the southern end of Iceland quite near the coast, and Iceland is not a huge distance away from Ireland in the grand scheme of things. My thinking is that This eruption may have created a tidal surge that then engulfed Hy Brasil (just like the stories of Atlantis) or was possibly the cause of an Earthquake that cause the islands eventual drowning. Should maybe add that the eruption was a sub-glacial eruption, but I'm afraid I'm not really sure on how this would effect the outcome of the eruption whether it dampens it or makes it more devastating

Now I am no scientist and I just came up with this theory after a bit of digging around and imagination, it could be complete jibberish. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it's just a bit of food for thought

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I recently watched the annoying and extra bombastic Ancient Aliens series on History (they make worse documentaries than NG's line of shockumentaries) and although that binary message looks as real as a pile of unicorn ****, Hy Brasil does sound interesting. Why I'm saying the binary is a hoax? Well these aliens could have left binary messages in the past or to other people and also the so called encounter that us army guy had was purely coincidental. If aliens would have wanted to communicate a certain message they would have done it the classic way, so yeah sounds like fake to me.

Although regarding the Hy Brasil "myth" (there are no such things as myths, only interpreted real events) and if you believe the parts from the history show that are real, then these alien factions lead by "God" and "Devil" and their lower in ranks "Angels" and "Demons" have been fighting each other for who knows how long and who knows what reason (Earth domination and supremacy can't be a reason, currently we are owning this place and they don't exist for what concerns 3/4 of this planet's population). Taking the sumerian tales into count that the aliens ****ed up their planet's (Nibiru) atmosphere and came here to gather resources to fix it, thus genetically engineering us from ape men to do the dirty work (i mean yeah they can travel light years, they can manipulate gravity, sound, the atom and so on, but they rely on manual labor to extract ore? now i'm ROFL-ing) this would mean these 2 factions from Nibiru are fighting over this planet's resources so that they can rule back on their faulty planet back home. And they are doing this randomly every once in a while in the atmosphere of earth and next time they duel is on 21 dec 2012 at the site of the disappeared island of Hy Brasil? As true as this sounds to me and anyone who follows this subject, there are details that don't add for us, but for an advanced super intelligent spacefaring race...

As Atlantis seems to have been, also Hy Brasil could also be a space ship. Maybe all the islands that have been lost or sunk might have been spaceships, who knows?

Oh and there's the other theory of them aliens integrating with us humans as we speak. That's more plausible since they cant breathe on their home planet, the only way a benevolent advanced alien race would do it is this way for sure. I mean it's easier, totally controllable, won't start panic, fear, mistrust or agression, it's perfect! So maybe in 2012 the good faction of aliens lead by God will come to Hy Brasil and destroy (probably with our help since they put so much effort in evolving us at least technologically) the evil faction lead by the Devil after which we will all leave in harmony and peace until the end of time.

The end.

I had to comment on this thread after reading through it. Like so many of you, I Google'd about Hy Brasil after first hearing of the legend on Ancient Aliens. As a quick side note: they sure do pull some stuff out of their bums on Ancient Aliens. I can name many examples of inconsistencies or just plain insanity that I've noticed while casually watching it. For example, them claiming that Sumerian language had similarities to modern language(s) - Adam vs Adamu. Fact is that the darn tablets were translated only recently, long after the language itself died, so people had to invent words as they translated them, resulting in this similarity .. duh. If not paying attention though, they can get you with little twists of logic like that.

Regarding the 'binary code' given to this random bloke (I am a software engineer, aka programmer):

1. Binary code can be interpreted any number of ways. Binary is just 0s and 1s, as you know. To give it meaning, some set of standards must be applied (e.g. ASCII). The possible interpetations are nearly endless. There is no 'universal' way in which binary is translated into language (universal as in universal law). It varies between computer systems, though in modern times ASCII, then Unicode (UTF-8 or UTF-16) have been widely adopted (for text). Still, there must be some standard defined, or it can not be 'translated'.
  2. The programmer who interpreted the code clearly lists (in the video of his work) that he corrected for 'errors and noise'. How much 'correction' was done? We don't know. The code could have been massively altered. On top of that, he filled in the 'gaps' (seeing in brackets in the video).
  3. The programmer did not indicate what standard(s) he used to translate the binary. Did he use multiple standards, applying whichever he needed to make the next character 'fit'? If so, I could do the same and make it half-say almost anything. I will have to take the binary from the video one day and do my own check on it, as you definitely can't 'just trust' that show.
  4. It makes no sense to communicate in binary when the direct meaning of the binary is English. Why not use English and skip the binary? When using binary, the problem is how to interpret it. Without a pre-defined standard, it is essentially a cipher without a 'key'.
  5. UPDATE: It seems that there were many pages of 'code', none of it released (by request of the producers). The programmer himself confirms all of this here, http://www.ufo-blogger.com/2011/02/rendlesham-forest-binary-code.html . Apparently he did use the ASCII standard to interpret the binary code, which as this page points out wasn't even adopted until 6 years after this guy supposedly had this encounter. Also, if this was legit, you'd think the producers of the show wouldn't mind it getting out.
  6. UPDATE 2: Apparently the guy even says that the Ancient Aliens show and that programmer didn't generate the 'right' message, ref same as above and supposed real message on earthfiles (side note: click on anything at that site and you are prompted to 'purchase a subscription'... cynics can take it from there). For me, this sends very bad messages - especially if this guy is directing people there to get the 'real' message.
  7. For above reasons and many more, this is simply absurd.

Regarding Hy Brazil:

1. There are now MANY examples of legends/myths turning out to be real places found by archaeologists (e.g. City of Troy). Therefore, the fact that it is taken as a myth/legend is certainly not reason to assume it does not exist. In fact, the existence of any myth/legend is grounds to initiate an investigation to see how rooted in fact the legend truly is.
  2. There seems to be ZERO evidence that this place exists or existed for real.
  3. The waters in this area suggests the remote possibility of an island possibly existing in this general area (likely not at the exact coordinates Ancient Aliens came up with). However, nobody has proven that, not by any means. It has not even really been hinted at, other than wild speculation by untrained people.
  4. The fact that the 'coordinates' in the 'binary code' point exactly to this place on some ancient map that is faaarrr from accurate make it even more unlikely that the 'message' was real. This actually lends more even support for the premise that the binary code is a total fabrication (though anyone who knows anything about computers could tell you that.. as I said, it is meaningless without some pre-defined way to interpret it).
  5. Where in the world Ancient Aliens got their 'facts' on this place, I dunno.

Tangent - One of the more interesting shows was the new one that aired last night (August 11th). I had no idea that entire gigantic multi-teired structures had been carved out of bedrock like the Christian churches in Nigeria and the Buddhist caves in India. That is amazing. The gigantic stones at Baalbek (dating 6000-9000 BC by *real* archaeologists) are also truly head-scratching. There seems to be a pattern of manipulation of stones in ways that are simply not feasible using traditional methods. Something is missing, not sure what - and certainly not sure that it is aliens! There are enough truly baffling mysteries in history that this show need not destroy its credibility by having these people shout 'aliens!' every 5 minutes. I can't but help believe *some* of the participants of this show realize just how absurd their argument is, but continue with it because this is their 'career'. It doesn't exactly make for objective 'scientific' observations, it makes for outlandish speculation in the form of *entertainment*. Ask some of these guys *anything* and the answer is, invariably: Aliens!

Just a few of my thoughts.

Edited by dbcch

Hi. I recently watched the annoying and extra bombastic Ancient Aliens series on History (they make worse documentaries than NG's line of shockumentaries) and although that binary message looks as real as a pile of unicorn ****, Hy Brasil does sound interesting. Why I'm saying the binary is a hoax? Well these aliens could have left binary messages in the past or to other people and also the so called encounter that us army guy had was purely coincidental. If aliens would have wanted to communicate a certain message they would have done it the classic way, so yeah sounds like fake to me.

Although regarding the Hy Brasil "myth" (there are no such things as myths, only interpreted real events) and if you believe the parts from the history show that are real, then these alien factions lead by "God" and "Devil" and their lower in ranks "Angels" and "Demons" have been fighting each other for who knows how long and who knows what reason (Earth domination and supremacy can't be a reason, currently we are owning this place and they don't exist for what concerns 3/4 of this planet's population). Taking the sumerian tales into count that the aliens ****ed up their planet's (Nibiru) atmosphere and came here to gather resources to fix it, thus genetically engineering us from ape men to do the dirty work (i mean yeah they can travel light years, they can manipulate gravity, sound, the atom and so on, but they rely on manual labor to extract ore? now i'm ROFL-ing) this would mean these 2 factions from Nibiru are fighting over this planet's resources so that they can rule back on their faulty planet back home. And they are doing this randomly every once in a while in the atmosphere of earth and next time they duel is on 21 dec 2012 at the site of the disappeared island of Hy Brasil? As true as this sounds to me and anyone who follows this subject, there are details that don't add for us, but for an advanced super intelligent spacefaring race...

As Atlantis seems to have been, also Hy Brasil could also be a space ship. Maybe all the islands that have been lost or sunk might have been spaceships, who knows?

Oh and there's the other theory of them aliens integrating with us humans as we speak. That's more plausible since they cant breathe on their home planet, the only way a benevolent advanced alien race would do it is this way for sure. I mean it's easier, totally controllable, won't start panic, fear, mistrust or agression, it's perfect! So maybe in 2012 the good faction of aliens lead by God will come to Hy Brasil and destroy (probably with our help since they put so much effort in evolving us at least technologically) the evil faction lead by the Devil after which we will all leave in harmony and peace until the end of time.

The end.

I'm glad you put "the end" in there, helping to indicate that it was all a story, and a good one at that. Maybe you should write a book :|

Well, according to this guy down the pub, who's researched this, Hy-Brasil was indeed an island nation. They won the World Cup seven times in a row some time in the 1200's, just before Sepp the Blatter took control of worldwide football. With his accession to the FIFA throne, Hy-Brasil were blattered (banned) from world football for fielding ineligible players, namely God, Jesus and Satan, all of whom were of dodgy origins and were uninterested in cash. It is rumoured that they also had special powers which they were not shy in using to gain an advantage.

The island never recovered from the shame.... and sometime in the 1300's it was sold as scrap. God, Jesus and Satan however saw an increase in their pupularity and, it is rumoured, have been fighting for the soul of King Sepp the Blatter ever since.

LOL!!!!

Love it!

I'm glad you put "the end" in there, helping to indicate that it was all a story, and a good one at that. Maybe you should write a book :|

In the fiction section ...

Hey all. I just heard about this whole Hy Brasil thing from History Channel's Ancient Aliens (season 2, episode 9) wherein they explain how they obtained the binary code and offer Hy Brasil as an answer. I'm thinking that a few bloggers jumped on this as the story without exploring further. Now, I love the History Channel but don't always trust it as a source. Example: I KNOW I saw a program that said common Daddy Long Legs were the most venomous spiders but because their mouths were too small to bite you, they can't hurt you. Several years later of course, MythBusters disproved it on the very same channel. Yet, people still continue to use History Channel as a reliable source. So, keeping this in mind, I would offer this: 52° 09' 42.352"N 13° 13' 12.69"W (the coordinates 'discovered? in the binary code) can also be found in the sky (Google Earth, baby.) It very well may be Hy Brasil that they're pointing to and not coordinates in space. I'm excited that I learned about Hy Brasil in the first place, but let's all promise not to use History Channel as the source for definitive answers (bloggers, I'm talking to YOU.) Let's instead open ourselves to other explanations for these supposed coordinates - just saaayyiingggg.

Okay - - so a couple minutes after I posted my rant, I realized that MythBusters is on the Discovery Channel and not the History Channel. My bad. But still, the logo for the History Channel used to be dramatized framed Pillars of Hercules and now they zoom into a pyramid in the corner. So... :P I declare my argument still valid.

Okay - - so a couple minutes after I posted my rant, I realized that MythBusters is on the Discovery Channel and not the History Channel. My bad. But still, the logo for the History Channel used to be dramatized framed Pillars of Hercules and now they zoom into a pyramid in the corner. So... :P I declare my argument still valid.

Either way, you are right, the History Channel has some whacko shows, especially Ancient Aliens. Although I am intrigued by some of the mysteries of the ancient world, this show stretches the truth beyond belief. They have a pre-conceived conclusion that they keep trying to justify by using everything unexplained from our past. The show is PURE ENTERTAINMENT. I find it funny that the History channel declined to air the JFK Series they had produced because they feared it wasn't accurate enough, lol. What the heck. That show wound up on Bravo.

Anyway... indeed, do not trust anything you see on the History Channel. Their job is to entertain so that they can increase viewers, and therefore increase ad revenue.

I *wish* in Ancient Aliens they would have at least let the skeptics weigh in. Instead, when a skeptic does speak, I noticed they edit it so that his comments are taken out of context. If I were these people, I'd be p***ed. If you look closely, you can tell. Of course, I am not speaking about the 3 or 4 yahoos that make their living spreading Ancient Aliens theories. These people will attribute *anything* to Ancient Aliens. That one from Legendary Times is particularly amusing to me. He's always jumping to crazy conclusions. The lady from Earth Files is definitely the most whack though, telling about various theories and 'facts' she gets from unnamed government sources that are supposedly in contact with alien life (loved her comments on the 'DNA harvest'). Kooks in some cases, fraudsters in others .... what about trying to research this *remote possibility* with actual science?

Edited by dbszba82
  • Like 1