Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help clarify this Hy-Brasil/Atlantis thing?

Soul Kitchen

Hi AB, it's very true. The Irish have a gift for exaggeration. :yes: The Skellig's have a very long and ancient history. The name Brasil I believe comes from a semi-historical figure known as Bres / Breas who had an association with the islands in legend. It is not difficult to see how Bres or Breas became courrupted to Bresil or Brasil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bres

But is it known these tiny islands submerged regularly?

Because that is the story of Hy Brasil.

But is it known these tiny islands submerged regularly?

Because that is the story of Hy Brasil.

The Islands are frequently covered in thick impenetrable Gulf-stream mists that they " disappear " into . There are also very strong currents in that area that will carry you miles of-course. They are also very difficult to land on.

post-129264-0-06700200-1338086284_thumb.

post-129264-0-04318200-1338086302_thumb.

Edited by Erudite Celt

The Islands are frequently covered in thick impenetrable Gulf-stream mists that they " disappear " into . There are also very strong currents in that area that will carry you miles of-course. They are also very difficult to land on.

post-129264-0-06700200-1338086284_thumb.

post-129264-0-04318200-1338086302_thumb.

Looks like 'mystery solved' to me.

:tu:

post-129264-0-61857900-1338075270_thumb.

I personally think that the two Skellig Islands are the most likly candidates for Hy-Brasil.

Isnt they too small? Look at proportions on some maps and distance.

I think its double messures. Piri Reis map is badly drawn map for sketpiks. Person is not taken seriously when connected one thing from Piri Reis map to actual real thing because its just badly drawn. Its possibility that Brasil is Skelling but I also fail to see how Bres is connected with any island.

Edited by the L

Isnt they too small? Look at proportions on some maps and distance.

I think its double messures. Piri Reis map is badly drawn map for sketpiks. Person is not taken seriously when connected one thing from Piri Reis map to actual real thing because its just badly drawn. Its possibility that Brasil is Skelling but I also fail to see how Bres is connected with any island.

The etymology of the names Brasil and Hy-Brasil are unknown, but in Irish tradition it is thought to come from the Irish Uí Breasail (meaning "descendants (i.e., clan) of Breasal"), one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland. cf. Old Irish: Í: island; bres: beauty, worth; great, mighty.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil_(mythical_island)

Uí Bresail - northern Armagh. The O'Garvey (O Gairbhith) sept, from the same stock as O'Hanlon, held sway in Armagh on the southern shore of Lough Neagh (Oneilland East) before being displaced by the MacCann's, lords of Clanbrassil. The Annals for 1155 cite Amhlaibh Mac Canna as 'pillar of chivalry and vigour of Cinel Eoghain." Other noted chiefs included O'Keelaghan (O Ceileachain) of Uí Breasil Airthir. O'Dugan (Poems) cites the sept of O'Gairbhith fierce chiefs of Ui-Breasial of Macha, as well as the sept of Mag Duilechain over Clann Breasial. O'Dugan goes on to note the sept of Ui Lorcain over the high eastern Ui-Breasail, and also the septs of the O'Longains, O'Duibheamhnas, and O'Conchobhairs all of the western Ui-Breasail.

Note: There is also a Clan Bresail, alias Muinter Domnalláin, cited between Ballinasloe and Loughrea in Ui Maine (Connacht).

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/colla.htm#brea

• 1 month later...

If you have watched that ancient alien doc like me it sounded intresting, but then i checked the co-ordnates +52deg N 09 42.32 +13deg W 13 12.69 you will find the location is west germany near polish border!?!?

Edited by Beno balboa

If you have watched that ancient alien doc like me it sounded intresting, but then i checked the co-ordnates +52deg N 09 42.32 +13deg W 13 12.69 you will find the location is west germany near polish border!?!?

I guess you made a mistake: it's WESTERN longitude, not eastern.

post-129264-0-61857900-1338075270_thumb.

I personally think that the two Skellig Islands are the most likly candidates for Hy-Brasil.

I'm going to agree with you.

http://upload.wikime...orldMap1570.jpg

Ortelius' map. Includes an island named "Brafil" which is supposedly Hy-Brasil. It's just a little west of the southern tip "Irlant" (Ireland).

Actually, it might not be Brafil. It's a strange character he used for the name, it's not the same as the other F's and neither is it the same as the other S's. However, the Brazil we know today is on the map as "Brafil" as well.

With the Spanish language, the accent of Spain is a lisp. I'm not sure how recent the accent is but that could account for the spelling.

Brasil + Accent = Bra-th-il. Brathil -> Brafil.

But the guy who made the map is Flemish, but a similar thing could have happened as a result of the nature of his own language. Or he could have heard the names from Spaniards.

But it was the portugese who discovered Brazil. Whatever, that's a different topic.

I haven't gone through all the pages so don't know if anyone else has picked up on this the f used isn't an f its an s, its called a long s. long s is normally used in a word this wikpedia link should give you more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

I haven't gone through all the pages so don't know if anyone else has picked up on this the f used isn't an f its an s, its called a long s. long s is normally used in a word this wikpedia link should give you more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

We know.

We know.

Having read the articles all someone has said is it is a stylized s which is wrong its a long s a different letter, the Greeks still have 2 s

There were about thirty mummies that were in storage for many years ,comtamination, If there was this big cocaine drug trade, there sure as hell be a whole lot of more munmmies addits then a few:):)

http://www.atlantisb...oliviapart1.htm

I personally think if there was an atlantis it was where this bloke thinks it was

it would help explain why ancient pharaohs have been found with traces of cocaine and tobacco on them, as they only came from south America

The small problem with that theory is that the area is still somewhat above sea level.

The small problem with that theory is that the area is still somewhat above sea level.

erm if you read it all you will see that it is all explained

he made a documentary about it also try and watch it quite fascinating

all the description of Atlantis fits the area he has found

if you look at the picture on the right about 3/4 the way down it moves to you how at 1 time the area was a massive lake

this is a quote

Sinking into the Sea People sometimes say; "How can Atlantis be in the Andes when it is supposed to have sunk into the sea?" We must remember that Atlantis according to Plato was on a level plain which was "high above the level of the sea and surrounded by mountains". Yet the city was on a level plain and only 5 miles from the sea and connected to the sea by a canal. The only way the city can be on a level plain and 5 miles from the sea and yet at the same time "high above the level of the sea" is if there are in fact two seas, that is here, the Ocean Sea enclosing the island continent and the inland seaadjacent to the city. So the canal which Plato said took ships from the sea to the city was not a canal from the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean, but a canal from the nearby lake which is so huge that it is in fact an inland sea called Lake Poopo, which in turn is connected to another vast inland sea called Lake Titicaca to the north. In fact the entire plain has been periodically submerged beneath the sea ie it became a

giant inland sea at various dates going back thousands of years succeeded by dry periods. And the Earthquakes and Floods which Plato described are absolutely typical of the region.

• 4 weeks later...

hi im new to this so forgive any unintentional indiscretions. i have read all posts and have spent time researching the said topic and feel the majority of you intelligent people. although the discovery channels are there to entertain the programme touches on the most human condition of self-being. asking the age old questions why are we here? what is the meaning of it all, therefore there are no casual observers. we are all gripped to the possibilities and enjoy deciphering the information to our own conclusions.

that said we could pick holes in the programmes ability to seem legitimate. maybe produce hard evidence of a long lost island or an intelligent alien race, but if that was to happen then the existence of an alien race would surely be unintelligent. we simply dont know because were not meant to. there is no hard evidence of the existence of a god but through-out time there has been written statements from history professed to be true leading us to believe in such gods. it all comes down to belief, weather your religious, or believe its ancient astronauts from another world. all i know is i have been a christian for many years and have taken a large interest in anything alien orientated. truth is simply perception and we hear what we want to hear or maybe its need to hear. we are in strange times and when i ask the only thing i trust in this world, my instinct,it tells me something big is about to happen.

now this island hy brazil appears every 7 year and its next scheduled "landing" is 1212 and the first civilization the sumarians have given the same date as the end of life as we know it. Even the bible seems to proclaim a coming judgement. now i may decide to laugh it all off as the rambling of some second rate tv show or i could listen carefully to the words spoken to us from our ancestors through all the ages. all i ask of you is to close your eyes and ask the person within...............................................

good luck and

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is quite old now but i wanted to share this as it seems not to have been posted already but this is apparently what the island looks like but there is no confirmation.

http://www.panoramio.../photo/54594056

I found it when typing in the coordinates of the island stated in the ancient aliens TV show.

Doesn't look much like a place you want to live, right?

Google "Porcupine Seabight" AND "map".

1-s2.0-S0967063702000365-gr1.gif

And see the the island left of the middle of the pic, just above the marked area..

God, I'm so wasted now.

Edited by Abramelin