Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
scowl

Rome, Ohio Bigfoot/UFO encounters of 1981

10 posts in this topic

This is an incident that I don't understand why it isn't a major deal. It went on for days, was investigated by an apparently independent party and was the subject of a 40 page booklet called "Night Siege".

A quick summary. A farm in Rome, Ohio was harassed nightly by scary bigfoot creatures with glowing eyes. As if that wasn't enough, there were glowing spheres, an owl-like creature and something that was able to make itself look like a horse. Traps were set, creatures were shot, casts of typical bigfoot prints were taken and even a passing UFO was shot and slightly damaged.

I found a two part online description of the incidents by bigfoot researcher Ron Schaffner but the second part ends with:

Next month, I shall review all the aforementioned material and critique this booklet along with the information that our research team discovered. There will be little doubt that the reader can find some interesting prosaic answers to the events publicized.

The problem is that I've never been able to find Schaffner's last part that explains it all! Was this an incredible hoax or one of the most amazing incidents in paranormal history?

Why does this make me think of the silly T-shirt that says: "I sat between Bigfoot and Elvis on the UFO last night"? a015.gif

Why does this make me think of the silly T-shirt that says: "I sat between Bigfoot and Elvis on the UFO last night"? a015.gif

Because a whole lot of crazy stuff supposedly happened over several days (weeks actually) that is far beyond anything I've ever read. The whole "Night Siege" booklet (available online if you look hard) is very hard to believe. Since I'd never heard of it before I assume someone determined it was a hoax and hoped it would be forgotten.

Night after night they brought lots of guns and blasted away at them which of course didn't do anything, but no one thought to bring a camera with a powerful flash to take pictures of these incredible creatures even though they had several encounters just a few yards away from them. As usual they were left with no evidence.

Hey, better late than never, right?

I live very close to this area and maybe I can share some info on why this wasn't a bigger deal. Actually, I'd consider it more local gossip than factual info so take it for what it's worth.

For one, the grapevine says the author of Night Siege was a few fries short of a happy meal. Soon after this supposed incident took place the author became obsessed with finding Bigfoot and headed off to Washington. Things get a little fuzzy after that but rumors of mental illness and trouble with finances and life in general followed.

In the booklet Night Siege the names of those involved were changed for obvious reasons and the exact address was never given. It's my belief that the family involved was Amish or newly ex-Amish. Hence the lack of cameras and the abundance of guns. There are several things mentioned in the story that lead you in that direction if you're familiar with the Amish and the area. At this point I've heard a couple of differing theories. One is the family was not well liked and this was a deliberate hoax against them. The other is the author (who's name escapes me ATM) deliberately planned and orchestrated a hoax and the family involved was 100% aware of and went along with the situation.

The story itself makes for a fantastic read. It goes from Bigfoot to demons to aliens so I won't argue the entertainment value. There is some credibility since there have been a few other publicised Bigfoot sightings within 10 miles of this spot but as a local, I have to go with a hoax in this case. There's just too many things working against it. I have a PFD file of the Night Siege transcript in it's entirety but I'm afraid to post a link due to copyright laws. I'm sure if you Google search and check several links you'll come up with it. It's an Adobe file and it was photo copied at an angle so take some motion sickness pills before reading and you'll be fine.

Edited by kingtrukr
1 person likes this

For one, the grapevine says the author of Night Siege was a few fries short of a happy meal. Soon after this supposed incident took place the author became obsessed with finding Bigfoot and headed off to Washington. Things get a little fuzzy after that but rumors of mental illness and trouble with finances and life in general followed.

Yes the other Bigfoot researcher said that he regularly confused reality with Bigfoot, even claiming Bigfoot broke their car.

In the booklet Night Siege the names of those involved were changed for obvious reasons and the exact address was never given. It's my belief that the family involved was Amish or newly ex-Amish. Hence the lack of cameras and the abundance of guns. There are several things mentioned in the story that lead you in that direction if you're familiar with the Amish and the area.

All I know about the Amish is what I've seen on cable television, but there are some things that make this not seem like an Amish farm. It had a tractor which they chased the elusive Bigfoots around on. It had full electricity since it says Bigfoot supposedly smashed one of the exterior breaker panels and there was a natural gas pump, again supposedly vandalized by Bigfoot.

The story itself makes for a fantastic read. It goes from Bigfoot to demons to aliens so I won't argue the entertainment value. There is some credibility since there have been a few other publicised Bigfoot sightings within 10 miles of this spot but as a local, I have to go with a hoax in this case. There's just too many things working against it. I have a PFD file of the Night Siege transcript in it's entirety but I'm afraid to post a link due to copyright laws.

I have the PDF file which appears to be a copy of a copy of a fax of a fax. It's still readable though. While the address of the location isn't given, it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to narrow it down to a few places unless it no longer exists. It's on a certain highway north of Rome a few miles. Descriptions of buildings on both sides of the highway are given. Google Earth shows a couple of locations that meet the description of a farm that reaches the edge of the forest.

The most amusing part to me is the elaborate method of trying to capture a Bigfoot body. A bear trap? Nope. A snare? Nope. A covered hole for Bigfoot to fall into. Nope, those are all too simple. Instead they put out rabbits that have been fed glass capsules of cyanide. Naturally the Bigfoot will attack the rabbits. Naturally it will want to eat a rabbit right there since Bigfoot is always hungry. Naturally Bigfoot will be dumb enough to bite into a glass capsule because biting hard objects is a natural thing to do. Naturally the cyanide will be enough to make a 600 lbs creature die instantly even though shooting at it for weeks has done nothing. Naturally they'll find Bigfoot dead right there. Believe it or not, Bigfoot outsmarted this fool-proof plan.

I think it's most likely an attempt at the John Keel style of paranormal investigation: go some place, find nothing there, make something up, then pass it off as real. Unfortunately the author didn't even have enough material for the little booklet but maybe he thought that would be his first step into making millions like Von Daniken did with Chariots of the Gods.

I lived 3 hours from there, also along the Ohio River at that time, and never heard a word about it.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Oops wrong end of Ohio. But I went to school along the Ohio in '81 and my home was in Northeast Ohio at the time, and still never heard a word about it there either.

I looked over Night Siege again. The author claims that there were Amish working on the farm and shooting at things but nothing about the owners being Amish. The farm owner "Robert S." is said to have been watching TV before one encounter. They also chased a Bigfoot down a road in a truck as well as patroled their farm on a tractor. This doesn't sound like an Amish family to me.

I'm confused about one report in it. Rome is in southern Ohio, right? It claims the Ashtabula County Sheriff was called a couple of times. Isn't Ashtabula County in the northeast corner of Ohio? This suggests that even the location was changed or made up.

The more I read it, the more it sounds similar to John Keel's casual style of writing and reporting events, minus a good editor. These Bigfoots had self-luminous red eyes. Doesn't that sound familiar? In Mothman Keel reported a hillside suddenly glowing purple. Night Siege reported. "One night three members of the research team saw the back woods light up as bright as day. The glow was a pure and clear white color. The woods grew bright three times in a five minute period." Both of these are the kind of things that you think someone else would have noticed. In Mothman Keel proposed a ridiculous theory of extra-dimensional beings teleporting into our universe. Night Siege implies that these Bigfoots were doing something similar since their appearances were proceeded by flashes of blue light and their foot print trails would end suddenly.

Sounds like reported incidents at the Skinwalker ranch.

Edited by Sweetpumper

Sounds like reported incidents at the Skinwalker ranch.

Cool story.

I heard Knapp telling the story on C2C a couple of times. I wish I could have been there with them at the time they said it all whent down.

According to Kelleher and Knapp, they saw or investigated evidence of close to 100 incidents that include vanishing and mutilated cattle, sightings of unidentified flying objects or orbs, large animals with piercing yellow eyes that they say were not injured when struck by bullets, and invisible objects emitting destructive magnetic fields.

http://en.wikipedia....kinwalker_Ranch

Edited by Hazzard