Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Cure for Hiccups?

Captain Nemo

Ok, this really works - and although it may or may not be an "urban legend," I thought it was so bizarre that I had to share it. Whenever you hiccup, think of a white horse. Trust me. It works.

My friend taught me a way to get rid of people's hiccups that has worked every single time I have tried it.

Get the afflicted to hold out their arms towards you, inner wrist upwards.

Grip their wrists, pressing your thumb with medium pressure on their inner wrist.

Get them to take a deep breath, and another one, and hold it in.

Stare at them intently and slowly count til 10

They breathe out and the hiccups are gone.

Must have something to do with blood pressure or something, but it has always worked for me, with a few different people.

;)

This probably sounds so stupid, but when I get a bad case of hiccups I was taught to put a pencil on its side and bite it with my front teeth. Then drink water from a cup. Cures it every time, and is always good for a laugh!

• Like 1

The best way to get rid of hiccups is to very slowly breath in air, stop breathing in once you count to 10, do not exhale, hold your breath. Start slowly breathing in again and count to 10 and repeat this process till you can no longer hold your breath or it feels like your lungs are going explode. The key is to slowly bring in the air and eventually totally fill the lungs with air to what feels like their capacity.

This process will expand your lungs so they can no longer contract for the hiccup to occur, and the counting will distract your mind from hiccuping and will most likey stop them from occuring again.

One of my high school science teachers recommended a spoonfull of sugar as a hiccup remedy. It waorks every time for me.

• Like 1

For the ones who know how, if you swallow a tiny bit of air (same way as how you burp on command, but with letting the burp/air go out again) the hiccup will disappear aswell, atleast it does for me, and it only takes like 2 seconds to do it.

Origin of this technique comes from my elementery school teacher who taugh us to take a little bit of water, tilt your head up as if something is walking on the ceiling, and than swallow the water. I just adjusted it to a quicker way to use through the years.

Wait for the hiccups to subside.

There is a spot right behind your earlobe that is kind of soft. Press there for five seconds, hiccups GONE! :) Has worked for me for years.

get a small glass of water. light a wooden match. while the match is lit, turn it upside down and tip the flame in the water. throw the match away. drink the entire glass of water without stopping until it's gone.

has never not worked.

also, if you're about to sneeze? Look up, and say "Cow" out loud. do it once, and you'll smile cause it works.

One of my high school science teachers recommended a spoonfull of sugar as a hiccup remedy. It waorks every time for me.

I'm sure kids like this remedy also. LOL!

What if you are color blind?

white isnt a colour

I get a glass of water, put a paper towel over the top of the glass and slowly drink the water through the paper towel.

It always works for me when I get the hiccups and it has worked for everyone I have suggested it to, that has tried it.

But in all honesty, I think the cure for hiccups is psychosomatic, if one "believes" a certain trick will work, it will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fill a glass with water lean over it and drink from the other side works every time

I tried this once. I just finished up with hiccups and water up my nose :P

I'm sure some cures are there for the amusement of the patient's friends :D

i take a mouthful of water, bend as far as i can from the waist (while in a standing position) and swallow it.

it works almost all the time.

i take a mouthful of water, bend as far as i can from the waist (while in a standing position) and swallow it.

it works almost all the time.

Ohhh... please don't tell me I'm the only person who's been trying to drink it straight from the far side of the glass. Feel kind of stupid now :P

Ohhh... please don't tell me I'm the only person who's been trying to drink it straight from the far side of the glass. Feel kind of stupid now :P

well, you shouldn't feel stupid! there are thousands and thousands of people who've done it - and i include myself in that crowd.

Is there a way to get the hickups on purpose?

I want to try all of these , but I can't get em' :blush:

Is there a way to get the hickups on purpose?

I want to try all of these , but I can't get em' :blush:

I heard that swallowing air while drinking is meant to work. Not sure though.