Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

Lucky7

I have encountered shadow people in my home for at least 5 years. Sometimes I'd wake up and see a shadow person right in front of me, and when I wake up I'd have scratches and bruises on my body. I read that some will do that so they can weaken you and then possess you. Also I've seen a man similar to the Hatman. He had a three-piece suit, trenchcoat, a tall hat, possibly a watch, shoulder-length black hair, and an unrevealed face.

I've had dreams about the shadow people and the man. Just the other night I had a dream where I was taking care of my dogs before putting them to bed. As I picked up one of the pups, he starts barking over my shoulder. I just pet him and try to calm him down until I felt the sudden urge to turn around. The bathroom door was open and through the darkness (the lights don't work) I saw someone even darker. I told my dog "calm down, it's just a ghost" and I tried to slam the door. However, I didn't dream long enough to find out if it actually shut, but I saw him lunging at me. Also he had red eyes, unlike the shadow people I've seen in the past. With the Hatman, I can't say I recall seeing him very often. I used to see him all the time when I was little. He used to trip me through the walls and once he even pulled back the shower curtain to reveal himself while I was using the bathroom. I had plenty of dreams about him and his family, and I found out that his wife had been cheating on him and the twins they raised together we're not his, so he was throwing things at his wife in pure wrath as the twins watched. However, even in the dreams he was wearing the same clothes and I didn't see his face.

I was also in some sort of distress when I first met them. I got bullied a lot as a kid, so when I met that man at 5 years old, it could've very likely been because of my stress. Also the shadow people didn't show up until I was entering some kind of depressed state.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I had to register to the forum because of this thread. One of my most powerful childhood and all time memories concerns shadow people and I didn't really understand how large the phenomenon is until reading about it here. I hope I don't write too long for you guys, but I have to share this.

When I was 5 or 6 years old, I woke up in my bed in my own room on an early summer's morning (around 7 am, I was going to school/preschool at 8) and found myself surrounded by 8-10 "shadows" with the form of people. Some were standing by the walls, some sitting (one on my bed near my feet), and one was wearing a hat. All were facing me, though I didn't see any eyes or any other details beside the one hat, just the black human shadow shapes. They were all standing/sitting still and silently "watching" me. What was happening ended after I closed my eyes or nodded back off or something, I just remember "waking up" again and seeing the room which was 100% the same as the second before but with the shadows gone. The sun was shining in the same angle as before, all the things in my room were the same as before, etc. The room was very bright during the whole ordeal with the sun shining outside.

I didn't feel scared back then even though I found the situation very weird and understood that it wasn't in the realm of normal. The figures all emanated a strange sense of calm and felt somehow familiar. Even though I was a child I somehow instantly processed the situation as if they were reflections from the past, from long gone relatives or such. Could've just been my psychological reaction combined with knowledge of ghost stories or something, but that's how I felt back then and that's how I still kinda like to think of the experience, even though I seek to understand what happened from an objective point of view.

I've of course been considering the shadows having been a dream, or my mind was playing tricks since I must have been on the border or close to the border of sleep and awakening. But then I read about others seeing the exactly same things and truth be told the hat man especially freaks me out since he is a detail I simply couldn't have read up somewhere and emulated in my mind since I was after all a little child who had never heard about shadow people. I heard about this all when I was like 25. So even if it was an incredibly realistic dream that took place just before waking up (which I do doubt since it all felt and looked so real), it's just incredible how similar this experience is to that of others. Seeing and indeed feeling the shadow people left such a strong imprint on my mind that I still remember everything just like it happened yesterday.

As for my background, I'm now a 30 year old world history M.A. from Finland with a highly scientific world view and I consider myself to be a skeptic in what comes to the paranormal and such. But shadow people for me are one of those few big and very real mysteries.

EDIT: What is different in my experiences to that of many others seems to be the fact that the shadows didn't feel "evil" and I didn't feel threatened in any way. They felt more like neutral or even "good", they definitely didn't try to harm me. I suppose this is one reason why I connected them in my mind to being "family".

Edited by Ancalagon

Hi Ancalagon,

I did not feel especially threatened during my experience with the "hat man" and I was I believe about 8 years old or somewhere in that range. I was a little fearful but not overly as I didn't call out for my parents.  I didn't see any other shadow people at the time but I was focusing on the one figure standing by my bed and also closing my eyes to just slits pretending to be asleep, so not looking around the room. It was night, so no extra light in the room besides difuse light. Can you tell me what the hat looked like and also just out of curiosity, what is your blood type? Most people have very different experiences to what I had but I've read a few accounts that were very, very close if not exact to what I experienced. Also, the "hat man" did no appear as a shadow person in the usual description but rather seemed to be 3 dimentional. Thanks.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2011 at 9:34 AM, Lucky7 said:

Hello Everyone, Welcome to my thread about the Hatman and shadow people. I have seen both the hatman and the shadow people. Many times and very clearly and in broad daylight each time. For those of us who have been visited, I am wondering what we have in common. Why are we being selected to have these visitations? Do we have anything in common, or is it just random?

If we can find some common ground, we might be able to figure out what it is that these shadows want from us.

I will start by telling you what I was going through at the time I saw these beings. I was living alone, I was renting a very large Victorian House in London. I was going through a divorce at the time and very emotional. I was crying every day and going over and over my life choices. I felt despair and emotional upheaval as the reason I was renting this house was because I had moved out of my own house.

What were you experiencing at the time in your life when you saw the shadows?

For me it was an experience shared with another person (so I know I`m not going mad).

We were watching the news, I suddenly went into a deep trance for about 2 seconds before snapping myself out of it, and when I looked back at the tv there was a short dark figure trying to mask itself over the news readers image on the screen. I think it tried to possess me, failed, then went onto another nearby human form (the image of the news presenter) before vanishing.

Me and my sister just looked at each other. That proper spooked us both. 

Take a piece of computer paper draw a circle write in it Destroy all Evil plaguing me or  squatting or coming back for any reason slam hand down on it say Yaomen ,Vastken,Boren ,or Laoshen or In the name of first principle  and it should destroy it non religiously have a pleasant day.

• 6 months later...
34 minutes ago, Drew93 said:

This location was an old Quaker property with a graveyard.

Which property? I'm a Quaker and former historian for the Salem Quarter.

I have seen shadow people usually from the corner in my eye which most likely got something to do with my eye sight 

• 1 year later...

Figured i,d post on both threads about Top Hat Man. I first saw him in early 2000's I was in about 7 or 8 i just used the bathroom during the day i walk back in to my room to see Top Hat he was Darker then dark he never said anything because it was as if it was already spoken, it wasn't a word it was a Name. A name i didn't think anything special of ,that meant nothing to me at the time. The Sun flicked and i was on the ground. I dreamt of Top Hat three times over the years The first two were a Foggy forest with the undead , and a mansion with People drinking blood. In real life 17 year old I saw a girl short blonde hair blue eyes in all pink sweats with a big black eye, she looked like **** but it was still love at first site. I asked if they're was anything to do to help her, who ever gave her the black eye I'd try my damed-ist . she said no and stormed off. I didn't see her until the end of the day sitting with my friends already, she was new , and apologized but didn't want to talk about her eye. We hungout for about a month but, she went from her parents to her aunt and uncles to her sisters. We stayed in touch a little but by a year nothing. We were both bad apples, and my love was unrequited. Her name was the one that was never spoken by the end meant everything. I Blocked my own shot, she told me to keep smiling but it was her that made me smile. The Top Hat Man may have saved me from a different reality, i didn't care after i saw him next i took leather straps to a Boulder on my hand I shouldn't have been able to carry and smashed his face, in the childhood home I 1st saw him. He was Jeepers Kreepers with purple blood, i never saw him again. My mother died of a aneurysm , not long after. But the auditors of reality come in three's