Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

Lucky7

5 minutes ago, Sylviakail said:

I been seeing the same shadow man all my life, and I feel like he is an evil presence in my life. Three years ago I woke up from a nightmare and told this demon, he had no power over my life. Two months later my Son killed him self. I always had really bad luck in my life, I been molested, raped twice, my first son came up missing when he was a baby, I had cancer twice and now my other son is gone.  This thing is a demon and now he can't hurt me anymore, I lost everything I loved. Be careful!!!

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/hzEau 

So I frequently have sleep paralysis, but the only two times I had hallucinations was 1) seeing a little creature made up of bubbles and crab legs crawling up my chest (that was fun!) 2) having the weird sensation of being a thousand year old, decayed mummy(that wasn't)

The only time in my life I have seen Shadowpeople is once at Uni when I stayed up during almost my entire week of finals and then it was only in the corner of my eyes, so I'm pretty sure they were hallucinations. 

But anyway, I have this question, that doesn't intend to be disrespectful or belittling, it's just weird and I'm bored while riding a train to work. 

So, assuming Shadowpeople and the Hatman are real;

A frequent theory seems to be that the Shadowpeople/Hatman feeds of fear. What would happen if a person they visit instead experienced positive emotions from their presence? Has that ever happened?

Because some of the descriptions and sketches of them...sound/look kind of hot... (I mean a tall, dark, mysterious stranger...that's usually how a... different kind of dream starts with me...)

So assuming assuming this shadow creature was standing at my bedside and instead of being terrified, I'd get aroused (or, to keep it more PG, laugh because I think it's funny)... would that have any influence on the whole encounter? Would that positive reaction harm them? Would they just leave because there's no fear to feed on? Would that put me in more danger than a person who is terrified of them? Is that maybe a reason I've never seen any, they know they can't get any tasty fear from me(so basically an instance of being "too kinky for torture")?

Again, I really don't mean any disrespect, I don't mean to make fun of the phenomenon, I'm just really curious if such an encounter had ever taken place and if it had influence on the shadow people...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

So I frequently have sleep paralysis, but the only two times I had hallucinations was 1) seeing a little creature made up of bubbles and crab legs crawling up my chest (that was fun!) 2) having the weird sensation of being a thousand year old, decayed mummy(that wasn't)

The only time in my life I have seen Shadowpeople is once at Uni when I stayed up during almost my entire week of finals and then it was only in the corner of my eyes, so I'm pretty sure they were hallucinations. 

But anyway, I have this question, that doesn't intend to be disrespectful or belittling, it's just weird and I'm bored while riding a train to work. 

So, assuming Shadowpeople and the Hatman are real;

A frequent theory seems to be that the Shadowpeople/Hatman feeds of fear. What would happen if a person they visit instead experienced positive emotions from their presence? Has that ever happened?

Because some of the descriptions and sketches of them...sound/look kind of hot... (I mean a tall, dark, mysterious stranger...that's usually how a... different kind of dream starts with me...)

So assuming assuming this shadow creature was standing at my bedside and instead of being terrified, I'd get aroused (or, to keep it more PG, laugh because I think it's funny)... would that have any influence on the whole encounter? Would that positive reaction harm them? Would they just leave because there's no fear to feed on? Would that put me in more danger than a person who is terrified of them? Is that maybe a reason I've never seen any, they know they can't get any tasty fear from me(so basically an instance of being "too kinky for torture")?

Again, I really don't mean any disrespect, I don't mean to make fun of the phenomenon, I'm just really curious if such an encounter had ever taken place and if it had influence on the shadow people...

Interesting thought. I only saw the hatman once when I was a kid and I've often wondered if the fact that I wasn't overly frightened could be a factor in why it never happened again. I have read the theory of them feeding off of fear, etc. but I was not overly fearful. No red eyes! I just pondered why was a man in a hat standing next to my bed. I first thought it must have been a visitor and my parent's told him he could look in on me but that I was sleeping. I also thought the hat was like a cowboy hat and I was a fan of cowboy movies. Peering through slitted eyes (so hopefully the hatman would not be aware that I was looking back at him), I did start to get a little scared but I just laid very still and must have fallen back asleep. Due to my young age, the sexual component was not applicable. I think most people are generally startled if they wake up to someone standing by their bedside. I know when my son used to come to our bedroom at night and wake me gently, standing next to the bed it would startle the hell out of me. lol  That makes me think that maybe I was in sleep paralysis during the hat man visit or just very sleepy because I remember opening my eyes, seeing him and then narrowing my eyes into slits so I could observe. Now, that doesn't seem like paralysis, but I was on my back and did not move but just observed him. He was looking down at me but not moving at all. I didn't call out for my parent's or anything but just stayed very still, in effect ignoring that I knew he was there. This does make me wonder if I was just too boring for him to bother showing up again. I have read of people having my exact experience and not feeling threatened but I don't recall if they said it was a one off incident. Only as an adult did I learn this was a worldwide phenomena.

• 3 weeks later...

I was 12, always had dreams and wake up seeing shadows. But this one night I wake to seeing a tall shadow and seems to have worn a hat. I ran out of my room and put back door scared as hell. In my pj's I am hiding in neighbors bushes till I saw my dad come out with flashlight in hand. Next day he rips all my posters out of my room. That's wasn't no poster I know what I saw!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It’s funny how time works. I think I saw Hatman 20 years ago but didn’t know it might have been him until a few days ago. It was listening to a podcast which rekindled a long-forgotten memory. The particular episode was about shadow people which, in general, didn’t spark any memories for me. However, it was one type of shadow person they began talking about in particular, Hatman, which caused me to do a double take while listening.

Rewinding to the spring of 1997, I was a freshman at Rutgers University in New Brunswick. My dorm room was located on the third floor of the rather drab-looking Clothier Hall. It was early, with the faint blue light of morning just beginning to seep through the crack between the window and the curtain. It might have been the weekend because I recall my roommate had gone home and was not there that morning.

I opened my eyes, and the first thing I noticed was a figure sitting next to my bed no more than three or four feet away. The beds in the dorms were set lower to the ground than a typical bed would have been, so I had a clear line of sight - and it’s a sight I’ll now never forget. The figure was sitting on the floor with his back up against the bed. His feet were flat on the floor with his knees pointing straight up. His arms were resting on his knees casually and he appeared to be looking slightly down. I couldn’t make out the details of any clothing, all I saw was a deep black body. But the feature that was most dominant, and why I’m referring to the figure as a “he”, was the wide-brimmed hat he was wearing. I could not make out a face, mostly because the brim of the hat was obscuring it from the side. I blinked hard a couple of times to ensure my eyes were clear, but he was still there after I did.

“Hello?!” I said in an aggressive tone, trying to convey that I was clearly unhappy with a stranger intruding in my room. After a second or two, but what felt like a minute or two, the figure slowly faded away, the spot where he was sitting visibly lightening as he did. At the time, it was weird because before that I had never had a groggy dream-like vision which I knew some people had when they woke up in the morning or in the middle of the night. Twenty years later, and I still have not had any drowsy visions. That morning was the only time I have ever experienced anything like that.

Even though it was a one-time occurrence, it was obvious to me that, for whatever reason, my brain had indeed conjured up an early-morning foggy illusion, and I didn’t think about it nearly at all for the next two decades. But a couple of days ago, more or less exactly 20 years after that morning, I learned about the ghostly entity known as Hatman. Upon hearing the first description while listening to that podcast, I immediately thought of the shadowlike figure I had seen that morning in my dorm room at Rutgers. The parallels with dozens of accounts were there. The figure I had seen had that large-brimmed hat, was darker than the darkest black, and was spotted near my bed. What’s the probability that my subconscious decided to create such an image twenty years before I even knew an almost identical being existed in the paranormal world? That memory, which has basically lain dormant for the past 20 years, has now taken on a whole new level of eeriness for me. 

• Like 3

SicilianCyclops,  Really interesting account. First time I've ever heard of the Hat Man being seated, but sure does sound like the Hat Man. Wow. Freaky. I agree it is a strange thing to find that what you wrote off to a figment of your imagination has suddenly been revealed to you as a worldwide phenomena. Thanks for sharing your interesting encounter.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Murlin54 said:

SicilianCyclops,  Really interesting account. First time I've ever heard of the Hat Man being seated, but sure does sound like the Hat Man. Wow. Freaky. I agree it is a strange thing to find that what you wrote off to a figment of your imagination has suddenly been revealed to you as a worldwide phenomena. Thanks for sharing your interesting encounter.

I don't believe it was here, but the other day I read two accounts in which the witnesses also saw him sitting. One of them was on a bench in a backyard. When I saw him, it seemed to me that he had been there for a while, almost like he made himself comfortable while waiting for me to wake up. Startling to say the least. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, this is a drawing I did of the figure I saw and the exact way he was sitting against the bed. Sorry if it's not great, I had to resize it to make it fit here. 

2017-06-25 16.56.21.jpg

• Like 3

Yes! That's what I saw as a kid! I would see it out a window in my kitchen at night, so I would crawl on the floor, under the window sill, so he wouldn't see when I would get thirsty at night.

On 6/25/2017 at 5:07 PM, SicilianCyclops said:

For what it's worth, this is a drawing I did of the figure I saw and the exact way he was sitting against the bed. Sorry if it's not great, I had to resize it to make it fit here. 

2017-06-25 16.56.21.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2011 at 2:31 AM, Disembodied Voice said:

"The Hat Man’s gear consists of what can be described as him wearing a long-black trench coat, three-piece suit, white collared shirt, and a flat rimmed gaucho hat. Some have even reported seeing a gold watch hanging on his side on a chain. Some people describe seeing red eyes, others see solid black eyes if they see any eyes at all under the shadow of his hat."

READ MORE HERE

why is it when I push the "READ MORE HERE" it takes me to a "jesusisnojoke" ad? Not cool...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

FB_IMG_1512521480275.jpg.f1399ff1aa7eb1dcdba967a841e866cc.jpgMorisset ward 21 for the criminally insane 

Hi guys this is a photo I recently took it was just on dark the light you see is a spotlight held by myself as I took the photo if you look at the light it is heavily distorted and forms a cross like symbol as well as illuminating a cross on the bars themselves, I didn't see it at but in the lower right hand corner you see the shadowy figure of the hat man it has opened my eyes I tell u when you zoom in on the face the features become more defined especially in a dark environment I would love some comments on my photo and what I have captured oh and zoom in on the writing on the wall there is also another figure in the shadow on left of picture can't wait to hear back from you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coco202 said:

Hi guys this is a photo I recently took it was just on dark the light you see is a spotlight held by myself as I took the photo if you look at the light it is heavily distorted and forms a cross like symbol as well as illuminating a cross on the bars themselves, I didn't see it at but in the lower right hand corner you see the shadowy figure of the hat man it has opened my eyes I tell u when you zoom in on the face the features become more defined especially in a dark environment I would love some comments on my photo and what I have captured oh and zoom in on the writing on the wall there is also another figure in the shadow on left of picture can't wait to hear back from you

I've always wanted to see the famous hat man. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen him. Can you be more specific on where to look or maybe use an editing tool to circle him or something.

Edited by papageorge1

Centre of pic I've got more images of ghosts in other photos I took that night I believe that place has a dark history it's worth a look on YouTube it is very Awakening although in saying I felt extremely calm that night there was no bad energy directed at me anyway lol

• Like 1

Centre of pic I've got more images of ghosts in other photos I took that night I believe that place has a dark history it's worth a look on YouTube it is very Awakening although in saying I felt extremely calm that night there was no bad energy directed at me anyway lol

IMG_20171206_145305_316.jpg

IMG_20171206_144916_204.jpg

IMG_20171202_053328_951.jpg

FB_IMG_1512521476523.jpg

FB_IMG_1510955587497.jpg

On 11/24/2016 at 7:13 AM, preacherman76 said:

I've heard many people talk about seeing a shadow with a trench coat on. Often even the hat man has a trench coat. I find it amazing how people have described seeing the same exact shadow people. As well as many other entities that are described exactly the same such as the old hag. 

How about my experience where I didn't tell my partner, and then he saw the same thing a night or two later?

There's something to it. We weren't having the exact same hypnagogic hallucination a day or two apart from each other...without the other one first knowing about the experience. 

Something was there to be experienced. Now, the questions are...what is it and where does it come from? 

I think we create the things. They're "inner demons" that somehow become outer ones. And they can be ousted just as easily.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Coco202 said:

Certainly will I didn't see him at first either n then I got shivers

IMG_20171206_144011_141.jpg

I'm not trying to dismiss shadow people, but that's probably just some homeless person wondering what you're doing in his squat. 

No way zoom in I was about 6 ft away from him you tube n watch videos you can see his face clearly especially at night when you look at this picture there was me and one other person there 100percent now I've done my own research on this and if you walk on YouTube there's a Mike Willesee documentary taken back in the 80s when this place was still up and running there's a guy he features throughout this program but if you have a look about the 10 minute mark he is there when he was alive he even has his hat on he was at the facility 54 years eventually passed there I don't know if it was him but that was my initial thoughts after I'd seen the video these photos have been edited and no way 100 what you see this what was taken on my phone see the way the light splinters in the picture if you have a look at the other photos it's the you see in the background I just had a feeling to incorporate the light in the picture I was standing there looking at the window at the time the photo was taken there was no one there and when you zoom in on his face you can see detail imagine how I felt after looking at these photos numerous times to see that it was so obvious but you don't see it straight away it's funny and the little Cross just to the left of his head on the bars I find that pretty awesome

Oh and the squat there's only one way in you have to crawl through a hole in the wall Ward 21 was built a few kilometres either side of civilization by the patients that once housed over 1400 people the place that took the most criminally insane other places wouldn't take them imagine the other parts of the facility still run you just get a feeling when you drive in it's surrounded by Bush you get there and there's all these buildings with all these kangaroos that lived there it's a special special place

16 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm not trying to dismiss shadow people, but that's probably just some homeless person wondering what you're doing in his squat. 

It’s the darkness behind the tree. :tu:

• Like 1

Oh and the squat there's only one way in you have to crawl through a hole in the wall Ward 21 was built a few kilometres either side of civilization by the patients that once housed over 1400 people the place that took the most criminally insane other places wouldn't take them imagine the other parts of the facility still run you just get a feeling when you drive in it's surrounded by Bush you get there and there's all these buildings with all these kangaroos that lived there it's a special special place

Oh and when you look at the sky outside you can still you can see it still blue so at the time I could see the landscape outside the window see on the wall the spray paint how it says I see you... wow

HoOh and when you look at the sky outside you can still you can see it still blue so at the time I could see the landscape outside the window see on the wall the spray paint how it says I see you... wow