Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michael Shermer on strange beliefs

Saru

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• booNyzarC

• d e v i c e

• JGirl

I can't view he video here at work, but I enjoyed his book "Why People Believe Weird Things."

Does make me take a step back and think about how I view the world.

Im skeptical.

Eh... of what? I assure you, it's a video.

Edited by ShadowSot

Eh... of what? I assure you, it's a video.

About Michael Shermer and his Society. Its all "lets debunk this" and "we can explain that" but lets all ignore the fully documented, totally authenticated, multiple witnesses etc, etc, etc, side of things.

Edited by Evilution13

About Michael Shermer and his Society. Its all "lets debunk this" and "we can explain that" but lets all ignore the fully documented, totally authenticated, multiple witnesses etc, etc, etc, side of things.

Like... what?

Listen to what he says, and why he doe sin order to understand why he has this viewpoint.

Like... what?

Listen to what he says, and why he doe sin order to understand why he has this viewpoint.

Yeah, I understand his viewpoint and I think he's right about a lot of cases out there. But the skeptics view is an extreme view in my opinion because it refuses to concede in the face of facts. They give the false impression that there is no genuine paranormal phenomena. But there is.

Yeah, I understand his viewpoint and I think he's right about a lot of cases out there. But the skeptics view is an extreme view in my opinion because it refuses to concede in the face of facts. They give the false impression that there is no genuine paranormal phenomena. But there is

Thats a pretty good statement :yes:

Yeah, I understand his viewpoint and I think he's right about a lot of cases out there. But the skeptics view is an extreme view in my opinion because it refuses to concede in the face of facts. They give the false impression that there is no genuine paranormal phenomena. But there is.

Ok... but which cases?

yeah why do people believe in fish creating there own legs and arms,feet,hands etc.

Edited by user107026

Ok... but which cases?

There's just so many I don't know where to start. But no disrespect ShadowSot, I'm not really interested in converting anyone to my point of view. It doesn't matter to me what people believe on this subject. But if you're interested, read Uri Gellers autobiography. You might be surprised :)

There's just so many I don't know where to start. But no disrespect ShadowSot, I'm not really interested in converting anyone to my point of view. It doesn't matter to me what people believe on this subject. But if you're interested, read Uri Gellers autobiography. You might be surprised :)

I've been studying the paranormal field for some time, and I've not seen any cases that leap out at me.

Uri Geller is a scam artist, and has been known as one for some time.

His spoon bending stunts are hilarious.

I've been studying the paranormal field for some time, and I've not seen any cases that leap out at me.

Uri Geller is a scam artist, and has been known as one for some time.

His spoon bending stunts are hilarious.

Okay, you've been reading too much James Randi and co but thats fine. Read Uri Gellers autobiography. I dare ya! :)

fully documented, perhaps. totally authenticated? i doubt it. multiple witnesses? well, that's not proof, it's just talk.

uri geller??? really?

Okay, you've been reading too much James Randi and co but thats fine. Read Uri Gellers autobiography. I dare ya! :)

I've never read anything by James Randi except a couple of articles.

I've only within the last year read anything by skeptical authors, and have been exposed to Geller through television clips and forum posts on other forums I'm a member of.

If I suspect the fellow's a scam artist, why would I read his testimony? Is there any independent, solid confirmation?

I am very familiar with mentalists and cold readers. What sets him apart?

I've never read anything by James Randi except a couple of articles.

I've only within the last year read anything by skeptical authors, and have been exposed to Geller through television clips and forum posts on other forums I'm a member of.

If I suspect the fellow's a scam artist, why would I read his testimony? Is there any independent, solid confirmation?

I am very familiar with mentalists and cold readers. What sets him apart?

Okay. Well its up to you to decide 'solid confirmation' but to me this would be a good place to start: Uri, by Andrija Puharich, 1974.

I cant believe anyone woud actually be suckered in by Geller. Thats sad.

Cough,cough,like the photo on your profile,cough,cough

Not sure what your are saying. Thats my car. Given to me by my wife for my birthday. Do you have a point? :no:

Cough,cough,like the photo on your profile,cough,cough

Or or you talking about the picture of myslef? Its called loosing weight and staying in shape. That is me by the way. I will be more then willing to prove that.

Or or you talking about the picture of myslef? Its called loosing weight and staying in shape. That is me by the way. I will be more then willing to prove that.

now see what you did? i had to go and look...

This video is awesome, as are all of Shermer's talks. :tu:

And Uri Geller is a fraud. I'm surprised that there are still people who don't realize that.