Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breath test that can predict asthma attack

Still Waters

A handheld sensor has been developed that can tell if an asthma sufferer is close to having an attack hours in advance.

This could give patients vital time to take anti-inflammatory medicines and prevent a serious episode that may otherwise land them in hospital.

The Siemens device is the size of a mobile phone and works by analysing a patient's breath and measuring the amount of nitrogen monoxide (NO).

It is so sensitive it can measure amounts as small as one ppb (part per billion), which is the same as the dilution of a cube of sugar in a 50m swimming pool.

Heightened levels signals that an asthma sufferer’s air passages are about to become inflamed. This latent inflammation generally spreads hours before a patient becomes aware that anything is wrong.

The prototype device will allow patients to analyse their breath themselves and take the minimum amount of preventive medication when necessary.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Still Waters

• EternalBlizzard

• d e v i c e

good because i need it im asthmatic

Sounds like a useful little device. I hope it's as accurate as the article claims though. Asthma attacks can come in fairly quickly without prior signs, such as being exposed to dust or smoke unintentionally.

If this is so,it will be a great thing to my grand daugther who is asthmatic