Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossilized Peyote Button

lightly

A good friend found a complete.. fossilized peyote button, in a sandy outcropping in Michigan! He would like to know if it might be valuable... monetarily. Could anyone tell us please what it might be worth ?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightly

• Mentalcase

• ShadowSot

• Sarrie02

How is this friend or you so sure it was a peyote button?

How is this friend or you so sure it was a peyote button?

well, because , he says , it looks exactly like a peyote button.. Only it's fossilized. Apparently he knows what a peyote button looks like.

I'd really like to find out, for his sake, if it is valuable, monetarily, to a Museum of Natural History or a collector or something.

* Hmmm but ya, i guess your right.. it COULD be something else... that looks identical... who knows!? maybe he should get it looked at by a botanist or someone who might be able to verify what it was.

Edited by lightly

I have to say... it probably isn't hugely valuable.

A fossil of a fairly common plant doesn't run much, I'd expect.

I don't know for sure, though.

I'd recommend this forum here:

Linkage

It's a forum for fossil hunters and they'd give you a better idea.

I have to say... it probably isn't hugely valuable.

A fossil of a fairly common plant doesn't run much, I'd expect.

I don't know for sure, though.

I'd recommend this forum here:

Linkage

It's a forum for fossil hunters and they'd give you a better idea.

hey thanks a lot ShadowSot, ... i see i'll have to join before i can post or make a topic.. but, i'll probably do it.

• 1 year later...

A good friend found a complete.. fossilized peyote button, in a sandy outcropping in Michigan! He would like to know if it might be valuable... monetarily. Could anyone tell us please what it might be worth ?

Hello. I am Native American and my tribe would be very interested in getting a hold of that button if it is still available. Even to hold it would be a blessing for us. Please contact me if you can. Sarrie02@hotmail.com

Hello. I am Native American and my tribe would be very interested in getting a hold of that button if it is still available. Even to hold it would be a blessing for us. Please contact me if you can.

Hi, Ok, Thanks. I will contact my friend ( it might take awhile ) .. and then i'll contact you to hook you guys up.

Hi, Ok, Thanks. I will contact my friend ( it might take awhile ) .. and then i'll contact you to hook you guys up.

But you will have to check first if it is a true peyote; there are also socalled 'false peyotes':

Peyote is the common name for a species of cactus called Lophophora Williamsii, which has several variants. There are also a few nearly identical variants of a different species known as 'False Peyote', containing little-to-no mescaline. However, False Peyote does contain other psychoactive alkaloids, reported to have delerient effects.

Variants of False Peyote include:

* Lophophora Diffusa

* Lophophora Diffusa Fricii variant

* Lophophora Diffusa Kubesae variant

* Lophophora Diffusa Koeheresii variant

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Peyote

Hello. I am Native American and my tribe would be very interested in getting a hold of that button if it is still available. Even to hold it would be a blessing for us. Please contact me if you can. Sarrie02@hotmail.com

Hi.

Just out of interest, why?

But you will have to check first if it is a true peyote; there are also socalled 'false peyotes':

Peyote is the common name for a species of cactus called Lophophora Williamsii, which has several variants. There are also a few nearly identical variants of a different species known as 'False Peyote', containing little-to-no mescaline. However, False Peyote does contain other psychoactive alkaloids, reported to have delerient effects.

Variants of False Peyote include:

* Lophophora Diffusa

* Lophophora Diffusa Fricii variant

* Lophophora Diffusa Kubesae variant

* Lophophora Diffusa Koeheresii variant

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Peyote

Thanks Abramelin, i didn't know about the "false" ones . (interesting link too) ... i'm just trying to help my friend. Lophophora Williamsii aren't native to michigan, i don't think, but they may have been Longggggg ago? .. But the use of peyote , as a sacrament, did spread to this area (great lakes) and Canada. I'm not sure how or when one managed to get petrified here.

Thanks Oniomancer, that's interesting. There is a striking simlarity .

It would be funny if my friend has found an actual fossilized Lophophora Williamsii which was traded all the way up here to michigan ... and then lost.. and then found !

fossilized echinoderm huh? ... yup, maybe so.

Lol.. you Know things are slow in here when people start searching info on topics THIS boring. :P