Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Panther-like big cat on the prowl

Still Waters

POLICE are investigating a series of animal mutilations, which could be the work of a panther.

The partially-eaten bodies of three adult swans and two dead lambs were found at Three Sisters Recreation Area on Golborne Road, Golborne, and at an adjoining farm.

The discovery comes a fortnight after at number of civil servants from the DWP’s benefits call centre at nearby Griffin House, in Bryn, told of seeing a panther-like animal sunning itself in a tree, and on the roof of a building from their office windows.

Police today would not comment directly on the claims that a potentially dangerous wild animal is stalking the site.

However, officers from Bamfurlong Police Station are known to have interviewed Julie Fairclough, who first spotted the big cat, specifically about her shock sighting.

A spokesman for Wigan Police said: “On Friday, February 11, police were called to Golborne Road, Wigan, following reports two lambs had been found dead.

“At just after 10am on Sunday, February 13, police were called to the Three Sisters Recreation area following reports three swans had been found dead.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• Coffey

• nohands

• star energy

They should try and catch it.....not shoot it....IMO

Lets hope that if it isn't a domestic cat, it gets treated with respect and not hysteria.

Every animal has a right to life on this planet. Its not just a lamb. If you give Open Range to your livestock their fair game. In this case the animal needs to be relocated, not destroyed.

We start invading wildlifes habitats, even destroying them and they end up having nowhere to go but into civilized areas.

Then you start getting incidents of livestock getting killed and people getting attacked. Then you read that the solution

is to just kill the animal. Really? Thats just wrong on so many different levels.

An animal like a panther is a predator, it is only doing what a panther does... and thats eat to survive.

We start invading wildlifes habitats, even destroying them and they end up having nowhere to go but into civilized areas.

Then you start getting incidents of livestock getting killed and people getting attacked. Then you read that the solution

is to just kill the animal. Really? Thats just wrong on so many different levels.

An animal like a panther is a predator, it is only doing what a panther does... and thats eat to survive.

Well you do have to take into account that there is not supposed to be big cats in the UK, so it's not really their habitat. We put them there. But I don't agree with killing it, that isn't fair.

Well you do have to take into account that there is not supposed to be big cats in the UK, so it's not really their habitat. We put them there. But I don't agree with killing it, that isn't fair.

This is what I was thinking. There's no where to really "relocate" it because England doesn't have large cats as their natural fauna. However just killing it is something it does not deserve because it's trying to survive and more then likely was abandoned by a human who wanted a damned "exotic" pet. I'm all for capture and either place in a zoo, or one of the wild animal habitat preserves that can care for it. It's out of the area, it's not eating the swans or lambs.. and it gets to continue living in a specialized place with care.

Coffey, who knows what was here, before we drove them out.....

Double post.

Edited by Coffey

This is what I was thinking. There's no where to really "relocate" it because England doesn't have large cats as their natural fauna. However just killing it is something it does not deserve because it's trying to survive and more then likely was abandoned by a human who wanted a damned "exotic" pet. I'm all for capture and either place in a zoo, or one of the wild animal habitat preserves that can care for it. It's out of the area, it's not eating the swans or lambs.. and it gets to continue living in a specialized place with care.

Yeah I agree.

Coffey, who knows what was here, before we drove them out.....

Well there hasn't ever been evidence that big cats where here before the "exotic pet" fad from years ago, and the very few sightings suggest they are not natural inhabitants of the UK. They never really fit in our wildlife food chain in the UK which is why their "killing" get noticed as they are uncommon.

I will add my own sort of experiences though. Firstly I never actually seen this but my brother and cousins seen it. Where I originally come from, a small fishing town called Peterhead, just outside Peterhead is a fishing village called Boddom where in the fields just up a hill from the village a big cats skull was found which was reported and confirmed as a big cat. I forget which type, like if it was a panther or whatever.

Secondly in a local wildlife park i used to go to at night and sit on this bridge with my mates and look at the stars and just talk, one time when we where there, loads of birds suddenly flew up from the pond nearby and from the trees etc we heard movement in the bushes after the birds had gone. That was rather creepy and sounded "big". (this place is thick forest and rather eery at night as well)

If that thing were on my porch, I'd shoot it. If it were in my yard, it could stay and chill...while I call the DNR.

that would be a challenging hunt.

i think we should not kill the animal it is just trying to survive animals are not humans they dont no any better i should hate them but i love them the reason y i should hate them is bec my dad used to train tigers.pomas. all that kinnda stuff well one nite we get a call from the place he works they said ur dad almost died the tiger just jumped on him truliy the guy said they were playing and got out of controll in this case the felion was just hungry and if it dosent eat it dies so its gotta survive and guss wat lambs and birds are easy pray im up for zoos or wildlife but dont kill the animal we eat and kill stuff every day goats chiken cow pig so we r just like them so stop hatin and think about it for a mommet :huh::tu:

Edited by elizabeth123

Yeah I agree.

Well there hasn't ever been evidence that big cats where here before the "exotic pet" fad from years ago, and the very few sightings suggest they are not natural inhabitants of the UK. They never really fit in our wildlife food chain in the UK which is why their "killing" get noticed as they are uncommon.

I will add my own sort of experiences though. Firstly I never actually seen this but my brother and cousins seen it. Where I originally come from, a small fishing town called Peterhead, just outside Peterhead is a fishing village called Boddom where in the fields just up a hill from the village a big cats skull was found which was reported and confirmed as a big cat. I forget which type, like if it was a panther or whatever.

Secondly in a local wildlife park i used to go to at night and sit on this bridge with my mates and look at the stars and just talk, one time when we where there, loads of birds suddenly flew up from the pond nearby and from the trees etc we heard movement in the bushes after the birds had gone. That was rather creepy and sounded "big". (this place is thick forest and rather eery at night as well)

True what you say, but then even just a couple of hundred years ago we wouldn't have had the knowledge or understanding to know if there were big cats living secretly around us, though I do accept it is highly unlikely. The ones that are afoot nowadays are no doubt exotic pets escaped or let loose. You tale of your night experience is creepy, I would have freaked out completely and run for my life! (Probably a bad idea, when you think of it!)