Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The World’s Oldest Water?

Still Waters

New evidence bolsters the notion that deep saline groundwaters in South Africa's Witwatersrand Basin may have remained isolated for many thousands, perhaps even millions, of years.

The study, recently accepted for publication in Chemical Geology, found the noble gas neon dissolved in water in three-kilometre deep crevices.

The unusual neon profile, along with the high salinities and some other unique chemical signatures, is very different from anything seen in molten fluid and gases rising from beneath Earth's crust, according to University of Toronto professor Barbara Sherwood Lollar, who is the Canadian member of the international team that produced the results.

"The chemical signatures also don't match those of ocean water or waters higher up in the Witwatersrand Basin, where as in most regions of the crust ground waters show evidence of mixing with surface waters and are extensively colonized by microorganisms," she said. "We concluded that the deeper waters were the product of isolation and extensive chemical interaction between water and rock over incredibly long geological time scales."

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• danielost

• WoIverine

• Mycologist

The Oceans are the worlds oldest water, sinse the dawn of the Earth.

except for this water, maybe. all water on earth has been drunk by something. in other words your drinking dino pee.

except for this water, maybe. all water on earth has been drunk by something. in other words your drinking dino pee.

Once something has been broken down to its component atoms, I tend to no longer think of it as that component.

I think they should clarify that it has not been a part of the water cycle for 2 billion years. That may clear up any confusion. Also I couldn't help but think of 'Land of the lost' when I read the article.

The Oceans are the worlds oldest water, sinse the dawn of the Earth.

The oceans' water is constantly evaporating and ends up as clouds. It is replenished by rain, rivers and ice melt, so no, ocean water is not old. The water referred to in the article is isolated, meaning it has not gone through that cycle.

I wonder what it tastes like?

water goes bad over time. which is why the old time sailors would carry rum with them. the longer the trip took the more rum was poured into the water barrol so they could stand to drink the water. i dont know about this water, but after 2 billion years i would think it is undrinkable.

water goes bad over time. which is why the old time sailors would carry rum with them. the longer the trip took the more rum was poured into the water barrol so they could stand to drink the water. i dont know about this water, but after 2 billion years i would think it is undrinkable.

Not to mention, ground water can stink in some places. After being around for that long, it must reek. :unsure:

I wonder how long before someone tries to bottle it and sell it for an insane amount of money.

Edited by StarChild 83

Probably flat.

*slow clap*

But on a side note, I thought one of the reasons why water becomes undrinkable after a while is that it becomes a breeding ground for micro organisms and the like. If the water hasn't been in the system, so to speak for that amount of time, wouldn't it not have had the opportunity for it to be stagnant?