Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

Saru

Thanks 747400 For sharing.

Well, i'm not a mod but i know that multiple Bram Stoker Award winner and Marvel Comics writer Jonathan Mabury made ONE post on this site, and i know that because it was in my zombie thread to "correct" me on a comment i made on one of the comics he wrote. I also know about all those awards and stuff because it said that in his signature. :P

I know of an author ( of many books) that posts on UM on and off... he goess off on location and later returns. He uses UM for inspiration...I have spoken with him a number of times and read one of his manuscripts

I also believe there are a few famous producers that use this site

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. :)

And thanks for sharing, Supagirl. You can't share a name ?? ;)

Edited by JVE

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Beckys_Mom

• Bracket

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know of one person at least in the film industry that uses UM and has picked my brains.

JVE *taps nose* :D

Edited by Anvil

I know of one person at least in the film industry that uses UM and has picked my brains.

A zombie?! :o

JVE *taps nose* :D

Oh your not allowed to do that then not tell us :P

Are you aware if the Forum ever had any "Famous" members ?? ( Investigators, authors, Stanton Friedman )

If (like me) you are into space exploration then James Oberg is a pretty big name (I have several of his books). He mostly posts in the UFO section here, but is a leading expert on the Soviet Space programme (amongst other things).

And thanks for sharing, Supagirl. You can't share a name ?? ;)

I personally would not tell....it could cause the member more stress, having a lot of people send PM's left right and center.... they would get bugged non stop and wind up leaving UM with a bad taste about the site... so no way would I ever tell...and I do know of a couple....

Exactly BM. Thanks and sorry confidences are confidences.

The famous person I know, is at present writing a trilogy ( sci-fi)...and UM is just one part of his inspiration.... I was just honoured to get to read his manuscripts.... There is no way I would ever inform anyone on the boards who he really is. I don't think I would want him to put an established known site like UM down as a bad reference. And to break his trust after all he has done... that would be a nightmare

So yes indeed - confidences are confidences

And me and Thongy agree with both of you, Becky and Supagirl, we have to respect their privacy.

But man...it's killing me. :P

If (like me) you are into space exploration then James Oberg is a pretty big name (I have several of his books). He mostly posts in the UFO section here, but is a leading expert on the Soviet Space programme (amongst other things).

Ya he's a big name, it's cool seeing him here posting :tu:

The famous person I know, is at present writing a trilogy ( sci-fi)...and UM is just one part of his inspiration.... I was just honoured to get to read his manuscripts.... There is no way I would ever inform anyone on the boards who he really is. I don't think I would want him to put an established known site like UM down as a bad reference. And to break his trust after all he has done... that would be a nightmare

So yes indeed - confidences are confidences

Just for the record, from what you have said we're not talking about the same person. So yes there is a few in the industry around.

Just for the record, from what you have said we're not talking about the same person. So yes there is a few in the industry around.

No we aren't talking about the same person lol..

I don't know about that, these posts are all in response to one of the questions from earlier. :P

Saru, what would you say is the BIGGEST change you've done to this site in 10 years.

Back in the early days site updates were often complete redesigns that changed pretty much everything but were comparatively quick to put together, as the site grew in size and complexity however updates took more time and these days significant changes can take a long time to complete. So in terms of a change being 'big' in the sense that it changes a lot on the site some of the earliest redesigns around 2002-2003 were probably the biggest. In terms of 'big' in the sense of it requiring a lot of time and work i would say the update to the UM-X design last year and the forum conversion from IPB 2 to IPB 3 rank among the most work and time intensive changes.

What's the craziest reason you've ever had to ban someone or remove them from the site?

I think the craziest cases of members being removed from the site have usually involved people roleplaying or attempting to perpetrate a hoax of some description. We've had quite a few "time travellers" joining the site with stories of travelling from the past or the future complete with photographs of their clothing and "time machine" that turn out to be taken straight off Google images.

Hey Saru this might be a bit to private a question but does running a site like this make good money/so so money or stinkin rich money that will allow you to hatch a master plan to rule the world lol

Well you can answer that one yourself, just turn on the news and see if there's a cat in a wizard's hat sitting on a throne declaring world law. ;)

Well you can answer that one yourself, just turn on the news and see if there's a cat in a wizard's hat sitting on a throne declaring world law.

Who knows what the leader of the New World Order looks like? ;)

Dear Saru ,is a great honor to be with you in this wonderful forum. Thank you for letting many people know and learn new things.

God bless you .

Persia

Well you can answer that one yourself, just turn on the news and see if there's a cat in a wizard's hat sitting on a throne declaring world law. ;)

Ummmmm.... funny you should say that.... photomontage competition

Saruman... the whole project must have been a roller-coaster. What would you say your worst moment was ?

meow purr :)

A few questions for the PTB. ^_^

First, members here have recently (last year or two from my experience) taken a more critical approach to the mysteries presented here. Would you say that UM has become a more scientific minded site with healthy skepticism being the norm? And would this be considered a good or bad turn for unexplained phenomena? What do you think the future holds for some of these phenomena (and the site) if the current trend holds?

PS. This is by far my favorite site, keep up the good work Saru and crew. :tu:

Brac is averaging 20 posts a day, I think he would be a good mod. :w00t:

lol. If post count is what got us into the site staff, you'd be in there way before me. :P

Ummmmm.... funny you should say that.... photomontage competition

Hahaha nice

Saruman... the whole project must have been a roller-coaster. What would you say your worst moment was ?

I know when my Worst Moment was....Lottie, tiggs and I were on MSN and Saru was needed on UM urgently. It was the middle of the night UK time and I called and woke him up :unsure:

I'm pretty sure Lottie and tiggs only voted for me to call him because I was the furthest away <.<

A few questions for the PTB. ^_^

First, members here have recently (last year or two from my experience) taken a more critical approach to the mysteries presented here. Would you say that UM has become a more scientific minded site with healthy skepticism being the norm? And would this be considered a good or bad turn for unexplained phenomena? What do you think the future holds for some of these phenomena (and the site) if the current trend holds?

PS. This is by far my favorite site, keep up the good work Saru and crew. :tu:

Thanks for the encouraging comment slave2fate :tu: - I would say UM offers a place for those who fall into "all domains" in expressing and discussing ideas and experiences of metaphysics, paranormal and the unexplained. I would say it depends what section of the site you are most interested in or spend time in as to what the answer would be. And that to be fair is the beauty of it. You can't define it overall as this or that.

Healthy scepticism is something we always encourage and welcome as much as anything as opposed to the opposite which is only destructive. At the same time we are a open discussion forum that houses any discussion or topic within reasonable grounds.

Edited by Anvil