Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

Saru

Just a note to add that this is the last day the Q & A thread will be open as i'll be compiling it in to a front page article for posting up tomorrow - if you have a question to ask now's the time to do so.

I have a question for Saru, have you ever had the chance to check out any of the monoliths in Scotland? (I've heard tale Scotland has quite a few monolithic structures). If so which one was your favorite and/or you found most intriguing?

Unfortunately no however it is something i'd like to do.

Has there ever been an incident (be it on UM or an outside personal issue/s) or time where you ever wanted to just wash your hands of UM? Being a mod or a member we can easily walk away but as the Admin., I'd imagine it's not so easy to just walk away from your baby. But has their ever been a day where you regretted it all?

While there are times when things can get on top of me i don't think i've ever felt that i wanted to just pack it in and call it a day.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Beckys_Mom

• Bracket

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very Dear Sir..Saru .

My Questions :

The forum will be larger? adding more things to the forum? more sections?

Thank you :) .

So what are your favorite posts (or kind of post/Unexplained topic) on UM?

The forum will be larger? adding more things to the forum? more sections?

Yes i'll be looking to continue expanding and improving upon the forum, i have quite a few ideas in mind.

So what are your favorite posts (or kind of post/Unexplained topic) on UM?

Probably the Cryptozoology, Myths and Legends and Ghosts, Hauntings & The Paranormal sections however i have an interest in most of the topics we cover, i'm also very interested in the latest science and space news.

Out of all the forums, which would you say results in the most bans or reprimands of sorts? In other words which of the forums tend get the most heated? Religion, politics, cryptozoology...?

I just have the assumption that Saru has a stat list somewhere of all the bans and what forum they're banned from :lol:

SINcerely,

:devil:

Out of all the forums, which would you say results in the most bans or reprimands of sorts? In other words which of the forums tend get the most heated? Religion, politics, cryptozoology...?

The areas people tend to lose their cool the most over is religion and politics however any section in which people with very strong, opposing beliefs clash in a discussion has the potential to cause problems. That said however most bans on the forums go out to spammers, trolls and other undesirables that aren't really connected to any one section in particular.

By the way, whatever happened to Ghost Mysteries forum? Did you decide it was redundant or is it still around...?

The areas people tend to lose their cool the most over is religion and politics -snip-.

I said I was sorry... :cry:

:P

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?

Well, the pay is pretty good, and I have a nice retirement package, but what really sealed the deal was the company car:

etl2045.jpg

Well, the timeshare vacation home we all get to spend a week a year in is pretty nice too:

haunted-house.jpg

Sure it needs a coat of paint, but once you get past the gator filled swamp and the vortex to hell, it really does have its' charm. :P

Well, the pay is pretty good, and I have a nice retirement package, but what really sealed the deal was the company car:

Company car? :unsure2: Not fair, I didn't get one of those :(

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?

Ironically the one I knew most about to start with, space and astronomy. There are members here who have forgotten more in a day than I have known in my lifetime.

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:

I'm with Tiggs on this one, Queen.

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?

The simple answer is I became a mod because I was asked, although I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for.

I was a moderator on UMs sister site, Spaceflight News, which sadly no longer exists. Moderating there was an infinitely easier job than it is here. When that site was wound up Saru let me know he was expanding the space section here. Not long after I joined I was asked to become a forum leader. This meant that I was dealing much more closely with the moderators and gaining a small insight into what went on behind the scenes. I found that I liked the moderators and I gained even more respect for what they did. When Saru asked me if I wanted to become a full moderator it was a decision I had to think about, but I believe I made the right choice.

I remain because I enjoy being part of the team and because the vast majority of members here are good people and they deserve to have a site free from trolls.

One last question from me: Will there be another Q & A in 2021? :lol:

Congrats to Saru on 10 years of the awesomeness known as UM. It's been awesome getting to know everyone here and learning from well-read people all over the world.

I have a question for Saru and the other mods also - what originally brought you to this site? I'm guessing this will be easier for Saru since he created the site, but for my fellow mods, why did you join in the first place? When I joined, I never intended it to be permanent. I was googling information on Halo 2 back in the day, and it led me to a thread on this forum. I joined in order to comment on one aspect of the game, and it was only after that that I realised there was more to this site than a games thread. Since then I haven't looked back.

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?

Like Tiggs, I've learned so much about religion here.

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:

Muse, Infected Mushroom, Fear Factory, Tea Party, Rammstein, Strapping Young Lad, The Living End, Weird Al Yankovic, Offspring (early stuff), Queen, Metallica, Prodigy, Regurgitator, Chris Tomlin, Michael Card, Nicky Chiswell (yeah, had to put some Christian artists in here somewhere)....

When I first joined, I had no aspirations to be a mod. I just wanted to learn as much as I could (at most, I thought it would be cool to be a Debate Judge, back in the day when there were Formal Debates). But one day I received an email asking if I would consider being a Forum Leader (a now defunct mod-group that had mod-powers only with certain sections of the board). Today, I think the reason I continue to moderate is to ensure that UM remains the best site on the net for all things unexplained (not that it wouldn't remain the best if I stepped down, but I'm glad to be giving back to the community that has given me so much).

By the way, whatever happened to Ghost Mysteries forum? Did you decide it was redundant or is it still around...?

Its still around however it hasn't been updated for a while, i'm not sure what i'm doing with it just yet.

One last question from me: Will there be another Q & A in 2021?

I'm sure that can be arranged, we'll see. ;)

And on that note the Staff Q & A has now concluded.

A big thank you to everyone who posed a question in here and of course as always to our moderators for the fantastic work they do in keeping the forums running smoothly.

Here's to the next ten years. :tu:

The compiled write-up of the Q & A is now available to view - here.

A look back at some of our older site designs can also be found - here.

Also be sure to check out our time capsule thread ( Now finished )