Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Northern Irish

Mistydawn

Okay, I'm from Norn Iron. Is anyone else on UM? Lets share the craic.

Okay, I'm from Norn Iron. Is anyone else on UM? Lets share the craic.

Either that's a "no", or nobody's owning up to it. I did 2 short 'tours' in the 70's - but I doubt that counts!

s6943.gif

• Like 1

Either that's a "no", or nobody's owning up to it. I did 2 short 'tours' in the 70's - but I doubt that counts!

s6943.gif

ah well, maybe I'm unique on UM! I can live with that!!! :yes:

• 10 months later...

Okay, almost a year has gone by and it seems, I am lone on UM.:cry:

Okay, almost a year has gone by and it seems, I am lone on UM.:cry:

For what it's worth I've always wanted to visit. And yes I mean Northern Ireland :) When I was growing up as a child under 10 in the 1960's I remember reading of and seeing images of the violence and couldn't understand the problem. I thought all Christians believed the same. I didn't understand the history or politics but I always instinctively felt a place for this country in my heart. Ah well...maybe someday.

BTW in THIS place you're NEVER alone :P

For what it's worth I've always wanted to visit. And yes I mean Northern Ireland :) When I was growing up as a child under 10 in the 1960's I remember reading of and seeing images of the violence and couldn't understand the problem. I thought all Christians believed the same. I didn't understand the history or politics but I always instinctively felt a place for this country in my heart. Ah well...maybe someday.

BTW in THIS place you're NEVER alone :P

Which bit of the world are you from timestamp? This place is a whole other world to that of the "TroublesYears" people aside, the country is as beautiful as any other on earth. defo, as we would say.

Which bit of the world are you from timestamp? This place is a whole other world to that of the "TroublesYears" people aside, the country is as beautiful as any other on earth. defo, as we would say.

I'm usa..state of alabama..we've had our "troubles" as well :P

I'm usa..state of alabama..we've had our "troubles" as well :P

When I hear the word "Alabama" I always want to burst into song!!! Hey come vist us, you are SURE of a warm welcome!!:yes:

Edited by Mistydawn

• 5 weeks later...

Norhtern Irish people on Um, are very, very quiet..... shooosh....:unsure2:

Edited by Mistydawn

Norn Iron..lol....... I hate our accent..Every time I hear someone from my homeland speak on TV,I cringe.. I even hate to hear myself talk ...My Northern Irish accent sucks..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Norn Iron..lol....... I hate our accent..Every time I hear someone from my homeland speak on TV,I cringe.. I even hate to hear myself talk ...My Northern Irish accent sucks..

lol ... I find both Scottish and Irish accents nearly undecipherable at times... when I watch movies I cant count how many times I've hit the rewind button "Eh?"

Otherwise, nothing wrong with Irish accents or to be ashamed of.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with Irish accents or to be ashamed of.

I just do not like my accent... If I hear my voice on a video, I go straight into denial and chant - THAT'S NOT ME !! w00t.gif

Some say I do not have much of an accent, because my accent is not strong, many of my American friends who have heard me on the phone say the love it and can make me out clear as a bell... ... I guess if I lived in the heart of Belfast or Dublin I would have a stronger accent... !!

I just do not like my accent... If I hear my voice on a video, I go straight into denial and chant - THAT'S NOT ME !! w00t.gif

Some say I do not have much of an accent, because my accent is not strong, many of my American friends who have heard me on the phone say the love it and can make me out clear as a bell... ... I guess if I lived in the heart of Belfast or Dublin I would have a stronger accent... !!

lol... now thats being silly really, an Irish accent strong or weak is not to be ashamed of. :yes:

lol... now thats being silly really, an Irish accent strong or weak is not to be ashamed of. :yes:

I just do not like my own accent.. And I do not think I am being silly.. It is my accent, my own voice lol.. Many of my friends feel the same if they hear themselves speak on play back.. We all laugh it off too ... We Irish love to poke fun at ourselves well some of us do ..tongue.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

• 2 weeks later...

The New Titanic Quarter is almost up and running... hopefully we will have visitors from all over the world.....

and remember "She was alright when she left here!!!!!":yes:

First time I visited, as a boy, I just could not believe people ate seaweed. Am still kinda puzzled cos it tastes awful. lol

• 1 month later...

First time I visited, as a boy, I just could not believe people ate seaweed. Am still kinda puzzled cos it tastes awful. lol

Well it's all in the buds I guess. As a child I never even saw a brocolli.... love it now.

The seaweed is called Dulse and I LURV it!! I am a savoury loving type person though, so if you're only into sweet stuff, you probably wouldn't like it.

While I am not from Northern Ireland, my family came from the Inishowen area - which is essentially right next door...

Actually, if you go back far enough, they say my family pratically ran the place... (Now we have trouble just 'running the front yard' :lol: )...

While I am not from Northern Ireland, my family came from the Inishowen area - which is essentially right next door...

Actually, if you go back far enough, they say my family pratically ran the place... (Now we have trouble just 'running the front yard' :lol: )...

Get your a** to Inishowen at leat once in your life-time... it is sooooo very beautiful and peaceful and if your ancestors lived there, you will have a surge of life flowing energy from a visit.:yes:

Get your a** to Inishowen at leat once in your life-time... it is sooooo very beautiful and peaceful and if your ancestors lived there, you will have a surge of life flowing energy from a visit.:yes:

I 2nd that.

Guaranteed good time. Tis a beautiful wee country with natives only slightly more mad than my own. But they''ll not be beat for hospitality.

:)

I have never heard of any locals eating seaweed before... and i have lived here all my life lol

I have never heard of any locals eating seaweed before... and i have lived here all my life lol

He must have got off the boat on the wrong side and ended up in Anglesey! (Laver bread - filthy muck!!)

Dulse is a good source of minerals and vitamins compared with other vegetables, contains all trace elements needed by humans, and has a high protein content.[1]

It is commonly found from June to September and can be picked by hand when the tide is out. When picked, small snails, shell pieces and other small particles can be washed or shaken off and the plant then spread to dry. Some gatherers may turn it once and roll it into large bales to be packaged later. It is also used as fodder for animals in some countries.

Dulse is commonly used in Ireland,[11] Iceland, Atlantic Canada and the Northeast United States both as food and medicine.

Source:wiki

FRIED along with all the usual ingredients of the great healthy British Breakfast.

If you don't believe me.. ask someone from Belfast!!

Edited by Eldorado

Dulse is a good source of minerals and vitamins compared with other vegetables, contains all trace elements needed by humans, and has a high protein content.[1]

It is commonly found from June to September and can be picked by hand when the tide is out. When picked, small snails, shell pieces and other small particles can be washed or shaken off and the plant then spread to dry. Some gatherers may turn it once and roll it into large bales to be packaged later. It is also used as fodder for animals in some countries.

Dulse is commonly used in Ireland,[11] Iceland, Atlantic Canada and the Northeast United States both as food and medicine.

Source:wiki

FRIED along with all the usual ingredients of the great healthy British Breakfast.

If you don't believe me.. ask someone from Belfast!!

Dulse is salty saltylichous!!!

• 2 months later...

I simply cannot, do not believe, that there aren't lots and lots of Norn Irish peeps on UM!!!!!