Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's first wizard school opens

Still Waters

I am aware that it is "fun" I just object to the school even being called a school since it offers nothing useful for real life.

There's plenty of classes at real schools that certain people would deem pointless. Just depends on the person I guess. At the very least, whoever takes classes there will have interesting stories and experiences to share.

I'd so want to be a teacher there...

Ditto!

Everybody wishes the world was more magical and interesting than it actually is.

Well, things do get quite boring. I don't believe in the Jersey Devil, but I'll be the first one tramping through the pine barrens looking for it. It does a person good to suspend reality for a bit and just go all out in the name of adventure. It's a good stress reliever. :D

Just so long as you don't suspend it for too long, I suppose.

Really now?

And what is your definition of a wizard?

I never stated that my definition jibed with his, mine would probably closer aligned with yours, you know Gandalf, Fizbin...etc.

There's plenty of classes at real schools that certain people would deem pointless. Just depends on the person I guess. At the very least, whoever takes classes there will have interesting stories and experiences to share.

That is the problem, schools wasting time and space offering "classes" that serve no real purpose. That is what community halls is for so "other" things can be conducted there.

I never stated that my definition jibed with his, mine would probably closer aligned with yours, you know Gandalf, Fizbin...etc.

Heh..Fizban...I liked that character.

He is a real wizard,

This is why I inquired, OverSword. I was wondering why you felt he is a "real" wizard. To me it's all fake...fun perhaps but to make people believe that any of it is real and that they can do "magic" by flailing a wand around, burning nice smelling incense and chanting some goofy stuff is really sad.

I think this guy has gone a little too crazy over harry potter. Almost as crazy as this guy > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VlIjXj9NA.

I can't believe our education system actually allowed a mad man like this to teach or do anything for that matter. Man I guess we are going in the shitter for sure.

Nope, he was a wizard WAY before Harry Potter even existed and was referred to as Gandalf and Merlin :w00t:

is it just me or doesnt this guy looks like a pervert ?

article-0-0D6A9C37000005DC-269_634x427.jpg

and his wife is totally freaky

article-0-0D6A9C77000005DC-454_634x506.jpg

they met at a pagan festival and this goat has surgicaly attached horn to look like a unicorn

article-0-0D6A9CA7000005DC-877_634x513.jpg

what if they are satanist / occultists?

They are neither. They simply think magic is real, that's all..has nothing to do with satanism.

Granted their costumes are neat and I wish I had a wand like Oberon has..would be a nice decor though.

That is the problem, schools wasting time and space offering "classes" that serve no real purpose. That is what community halls is for so "other" things can be conducted there.

This is why I inquired, OverSword. I was wondering why you felt he is a "real" wizard. To me it's all fake...fun perhaps but to make people believe that any of it is real and that they can do "magic" by flailing a wand around, burning nice smelling incense and chanting some goofy stuff is really sad.

Dude you need to lighten up. Some of the best classes I took in college could have been deemed worthless, such as Archaeoastronomy, and leadership.

Dude you need to lighten up. Some of the best classes I took in college could have been deemed worthless, such as Archaeoastronomy, and leadership.

At least it had to do with real world stuff. Archaeoastronomy is linked to history and leadership canbe a useful skill for the REAL world.

Magic and wizardy is fluffy-bunny stuff that is fine for conventions and clubs but to create a "school" that teaches this BS is insane and has no use in the real world.

It is ok for personal fantasies.

Honestly, Ryu.. this is no different then the dozens of christian colleges out there. The only difference is that this isn't a main stream faith. It is a faith, as paganism is indeed a faith of a million or so people. (Myself included)

And while this isn't a college where you'd go and learn a practical skill set for a job, this is one of those colleges you'd take to learn something new and help better your own faith. It's fun, it does seem to have some helpful classes.. (I love alchemy/herbalism) And it's clearly something that's not like fictional spell casting (wave a wand and presto.. yeaah even the longest lived pagan can tell you that won't do jack)

If it's not your thing, then that's cool.. not for everyone. But there are some of us who actually find this quite fun.

Honestly, Ryu.. this is no different then the dozens of christian colleges out there. The only difference is that this isn't a main stream faith. It is a faith, as paganism is indeed a faith of a million or so people. (Myself included)

I am aware of that but thanks for pointing that out to me.

And while this isn't a college where you'd go and learn a practical skill set for a job, this is one of those colleges you'd take to learn something new and help better your own faith.

I have no qualms about that at all. What I object to is calling this circus a college to begin with. "College" usually denotes something where you actually learn something of value. This fantasy land organization that Oberon is putting together should be labled something else so people don't get the idea that it is something legitimate or even funded by any government.

It's fun, it does seem to have some helpful classes.. (I love alchemy/herbalism) And it's clearly something that's not like fictional spell casting (wave a wand and presto.. yeaah even the longest lived pagan can tell you that won't do jack)

If it's not your thing, then that's cool.. not for everyone. But there are some of us who actually find this quite fun.

The problem is that herbalism and alchemy IS being lumped together with this wizardry nonsense. Herbs do have a real use in this world and it has nothing to do with spells or made up deities. Alchemy was the precursor to many legitimate sciences but once again it is made into something clownish by lumping it in with wizardry.

I am sure it is fun and admittedly it seems tempting to me too but if I really want to learn something that is actually useful about herbs or alchemy (historically) then I will go to a real school and/or read books written by people who don't make themselves look like something from a cheap fantasy novel.

That is all I am saying.

I have nothing against fun.

Made up deities.. thanks. ;) *rolls her eyes*

Look.. wizardry is just an old hat name. Spell casting is nothing more than being akin to prayer but to the pagan gods. The difference is that instead of kneeling to a holy city, or sitting in a church bowing your head with your hands pressed together is that you're using ritualistic items which includes herbs. It's not wand waving and saying some corny latin sounding word.

Herbalism is deeply rooted in witchcraft, druidism, shamanism.. the first healers held such names. Alchemy? Alchemy was the budding basis of chemistry..

What's wrong with it being called a College. It's a place of learning and thus can use the name. Again.. no different then the christian colleges out there.

Yeah, I just meant by his own definition he was a real wizard. And really since the others are obviously fictional characters who's powers are impossible by the laws of physics as we understand them we can't logically argue the point against him.

Or perhaps I'm a chocolate chip cookie and don't know it.

I think this guy has gone a little too crazy over harry potter. Almost as crazy as this guy > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VlIjXj9NA.

I can't believe our education system actually allowed a mad man like this to teach or do anything for that matter. Man I guess we are going in the shitter for sure.

That video is hilarious. :rofl:

I can't help but think it's adorable.

Or perhaps I'm a chocolate chip cookie and don't know it.

Mmm...cookies.

Can I eat you now?

What's wrong with it being called a College. It's a place of learning and thus can use the name. Again.. no different then the christian colleges out there.

It's bad enough anyways.

Colleges SHOULD ideally represent actual learning, that is learning something that is useful for human development. The term

college" should indicate academics whereas Mr. Pointy Hat offers nothing academic even if he throws in herbalism and suchwhat.

I see it differently as do you.

All I am saying is if I want to learn something I will go to a real institution where the focus is on real and useful information and not fluffy stuff like magic. I had already started going down that road a little bit several years ago and I am very glad I abandoned it.

It is not my intent to insult you...I just had my own experiences and learned some different lessons from them.

Then all I'm saying to you is that you must have went down the wrong path if you think all rituals and the like are "fluffy stuff"

true I don't cast spells, as I said, I'm more in the herbalism and shamanism.. But we'll never agree on this matter *shrugs*

I totally agree with Ryu on all counts. And yet I'd be sad to see the wizard college 'vanish'.

I am aware of that but thanks for pointing that out to me.

I have no qualms about that at all. What I object to is calling this circus a college to begin with. "College" usually denotes something where you actually learn something of value. This fantasy land organization that Oberon is putting together should be labled something else so people don't get the idea that it is something legitimate or even funded by any government.

The problem is that herbalism and alchemy IS being lumped together with this wizardry nonsense. Herbs do have a real use in this world and it has nothing to do with spells or made up deities. Alchemy was the precursor to many legitimate sciences but once again it is made into something clownish by lumping it in with wizardry.

I am sure it is fun and admittedly it seems tempting to me too but if I really want to learn something that is actually useful about herbs or alchemy (historically) then I will go to a real school and/or read books written by people who don't make themselves look like something from a cheap fantasy novel.

That is all I am saying.

I have nothing against fun.

I think you may think the school is something that it's not. I daresay it is using the popularity of Harry Potter-ish "magic" to lure people in. . .but the classes themselves are pretty much basic Paganism, probably with a Wiccan bend. Herbalism, liturgy, nature study, etc. I don't know about their nature study, but MY nature study was brutal. Not only did I have to learn names of local edible plants and herbs (common and scientific names) I also had to go out into the world and prove I could identify them accurately. Then I had to know what the herbs did, what medicines/herbs they interacted with, and how to properly prepare them. . . How they would react within the body, what chemicals they interacted with, what receptors they interacted with, the list goes on. I also had to learn every possible factor of my local environment, from invasive ant species to every minor detail about the local watersheds. I would have also had to learn wilderness survival, but I had already taken that up when I was younger. For liturgy, which I'm still doing, I have to research Indo-European history. . .I have to not only know names and dates of people and places, but significant archaeological finds and studies, social and cultural interactions of the time, politics, language. . .I'm expected to learn languages, for that matter. Not one language, a few. . .especially languages that are relevant to analysis of ancient writings.

There's nothing clownish about it. Sure, we have fun with it, but it doesn't mean the knowledge itself isn't taken seriously and that its something that should be considered "less true" because of the name it is taught under. Will I learn as much as someone that went to college for a career? Maybe not, but its not for a career, its for a religion. . .and, I daresay, as far as religions go, the "real" knowledge factor is pretty huge, and it spans a wide range of subjects. I can say that I know what a Solenopsis invicta Buren is (and enough about it to write a novel) as well as how to make an awesome soap for people with eczema. The range of knowledge and the depths of which you must learn it is nothing to shake a stick (or wand :P) at.

And, since I've gone through all of that, and have much more to go through to "graduate", if I want to walk around in a wizard suit in the process to make it all a little more fun and entertaining, then I will do it proudly.

Now I totally agree with theGhost_and_theDarkness on all counts. And yet I'd be happy to see the wizard college 're-appear'.

Edited by Evilution13

nice one... sometimes we must do different things so that the world will be colored with changes...

schools for monster is this out there?

nice one... sometimes we must do different things so that the world will be colored with changes...

schools for monster is this out there?

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto!

Well, things do get quite boring. I don't believe in the Jersey Devil, but I'll be the first one tramping through the pine barrens looking for it. It does a person good to suspend reality for a bit and just go all out in the name of adventure. It's a good stress reliever. :D

Just so long as you don't suspend it for too long, I suppose.

Yes, well, I spent a good portion of my life in New Jersey. I do believe in the possibility of the Jersey Devil, and I suppose I'd be the second to go in search of the beast (behind you, of course).

I would never incorperate "flailing a wand around" into this, but many religions use incense and chants (take Christian and Catholic prayers, for example). Pointy hats and wand aside, most of the stuff taught at Grey School is in alignment with the Wiccan faith. I admit that this man is a bit over-the-top, but his intentions are good. Anyways, it's outragious to open up a school teaching mostly Wiccan religion and using modern day techniques, but it isn't outragious to open up a "school" where there are strict rules, follow and teach the Catholic faith, and wear "habbits" all day?!

I think this place is kind of interesting, so long as you don't take it too seriously.

It seems like a lot of fun.

• 2 months later...

Kudos to them!! First of all, they are so cute. I also love how they live life on thier own terms seemingly not caring what anyone else thinks. I haven't looked up thier curriculum so I can't address the subject of how good or bad it might be. Personally, I would love to participate in thier "school". I am mostly retired and love to keep learning. You knows what helpful things I might discover.

BTW, magic is real, you just have to know it when you see it.