Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

17th-century witch trial diary goes online

Still Waters

A 350-year-old notebook which documents the trials of women convicted of witchcraft in England during the 17th century has been published online.

The notebook written by Nehemiah Wallington, an English Puritan, recounts the fate of women accused of having relationships with the devil at a time when England was embroiled in a bitter civil war.

The document reveals the details of a witchcraft trial held in Chelmsford in July 1645, when more than a hundred suspected witches were serving time in Essex and Suffolk according to his account.

"Divers (many) of them voluntarily and without any forcing or compulsion freely declare that they have made a covenant with the Devill," he wrote.

"Som Christians have been killed by their meanes," he added.

Of the 30 women on trial in Chelmsford, 14 were hanged.

Wallington also recounts the experiences of Rebecca West, a suspected witch who confessed to sleeping with the devil when she was tortured because "she found her selfe in such extremity of torture and amazement that she would not enure (endure) it againe for the world." Her confession spared her.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashtarel

• Paracelse

• ColoradoParanormal

• d e v i c e

My question is, and it refers to the ufo documents released by numerous countries as well: Why now? Why not 5 years ago, 10 years ago? And even now, why? What are we supposed to do with all this?

It's a precipice. In my line of work, we are being "readied" for something. Something big. All I can say but, there is a larger picture happening. Not this exactly, this is just historical information being released but, even browsing this sites news articles and other current events, if you look you can see. I can only speak for what I know, and the amount of training and other things me and my team is doing only means one thing.

Edited by ColoradoParanormal

Must be those awesome ancient Mayans again. They were so advanced! Western civilization is out of its mind impressed with the culture of the Mayans. But look, we're just as adanced as the Mayans were. What were they famous for? Human sacrifices in great and horrific numbers for the pretend-sake of all the ones who did NOT get sacrificed. And WHO is better at that very thing than today's western civilization?

So to the scholars of the TV who weep with desolation that some of the great ancient Maya culture was lost forever when the Spaniards set it on fire--feel better! We're on the right track all by our sweet selves.

Edited by Ashtarel

Did I miss something? The comments are not about the trials of innocent women?

Yes I bet many of these woman did 'confess freely' to being witches. From a dark inhumane interrogation cell knowing full well the horrors of the prolonged torture that awaited them if they didn't.

Edited by Evilution13

That looks like a really interesting link, SW; I've only had a skim of it but will read it mmore thoroughly today.

I think this is facinating. I love old historical documents. I for one would love to read

this book. :yes:

Edited by Robert1

"My question is, and it refers to the ufo documents released by numerous countries as well: Why now? Why not 5 years ago, 10 years ago? And even now, why? What are we supposed to do with all this?"

I hate stupid questions like these.

If it was put on a year ago, you'd ask the same thing.

Please work out how days, weeks, months, years go by and then work out what if.