Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

Haven't seen it, don't want to see it, but "A Serbian Film" would definitely take the cake. Reading the plot alone had me kinda disturbed.The fact someone comes up with a movie like that is scary as hell.

When I was a kid, "The Sixth Sense" really freaked me out. These days I will still struggle to watch films like it by myself during the night.

Edited by bulldogzrep

I rarely get scared by horror films but I think the scariest one I've seen recently is The Fourth Kind. The original version of The Eye was good but it lost its way about 2/3s in.

The films that made me jump the most are probably Drag Me To Hell and White Noise 2: The Light.

I was about 13 when I first saw The Exorcist and I found it more funny than anything else. I think I was aware of the subliminal images in it before I watched it though. I wonder how much effect they actually have on people when watching that film.

My uncle saw The Fourth Kind and he said it was more of a demonic possession movie rather than about aliens, I havent seen it.. Was it scary and what point do the aliens come in???

The Exorcist

Paranormal Activity (1st/3rd)

Rec/Rec 2

The Shining

Session 9

Emily Rose (saw this with my friend and her cousin in the cinema and the scene where the guy wakes up and sees Emily on the ground staring at him, my friend's cousin shouted out loud OH JESUS, which made me burst out with laughter lol :w00t: :w00t: :w00t::clap: :clap: :clap:

(list not in order)

Edited by Hellokitty2012

Not really scary but disturbing to the point that i can say i will never watch them again:

Eden Lake

and alot, and i mean ALOT worse:

Jack Ketchums - The girl next door.

• Like 1

there's a movie called Jack-O that is really terrifying. it's so horrible, i wish i would have never watched it.

there's a movie called Jack-O that is really terrifying. it's so horrible, i wish i would have never watched it.

XD

IT scared the crap out of me as a child. i havent watched it since as it scared me so much. i prob laugh now watching it though ha ha

• Like 2

28 days later and 28 weeks later. They are the only films to give me nightmares.

Dog soldiers scared me a little as well. I guess it's cause I was from an area similar to what is in the film. lol

The decent 1 and 2 is creepy as well.

I cna understand if you seen The Exorcist when it first came out etc. But I really don't understand how you cna find it scary if you seen it when it was older. I watched it for the first time 12 years ago (I was 14) and I sat and laughed my head off. lol Especially the bit when she does the thing with the cross. LOL

The scariest movie I've seen is Changeling. Not the old movie from the 70s, but the one that Angelina Jolie was in. That movie disturbed me like no other has. It is the epitome of a mother's worst nightmare. And this was based on a true story.

It didn't scare me, but that is a really good movie. :tu:

Edited by Coffey

I've already chimed in with the movies that scared me the most but I thought I'd mention the movie that disturbed me the most. There's definitely a difference; a movie about a haunted house or a demon possessed person might make you jump while watching and will maybe make it hard to fall asleep at night but when the sun comes up the next morning it's all forgotten. Movies that seriously disturb you stay with you a lot longer. That movie for me was August Underground. It's actually a trilogy: August Undergound, August Underground's Mordum, and August Underground's Penance. I watched all three in a row and didn't even finish Penance. I literally pushed my laptop away and had to leave the room just to clear my head. These aren't movies to be enjoyed or really even liked, just endured.

There's not really a plot per se, just two serial (three in Mordum) killers filming their exploits. They basically rape, kill, dismember, and torture anybody and everybody they come across. It's a faux snuff film that blurs the line; the gore is so real and the footage so poor and grainy that it legitimately could be taken for the real thing. I know A Serbian Film is touted as the most disturbing film ever and part of me wants to watch it just so I can say I did, but the August Underground trilogy left me wishing I'd never even seen it, so I'll probably never man up (woman up?) and watch it.

If you decide to find this movie, you've been warned.

This is how I feel about Henry,Portrait of a serial killer.

Bothered me a lot.

No one has mentioned the Human Centipede. Part 2 was even more disturbing than part 1.

I recently saw this old movie called Arnold.

It stars Roddy McDowal ,and Stella Stevens.

It's typical campus 70s stuff,but its incredibly disturbing in reality .

It's impossible to find,so i have to buy it used on amazon ,on vhs .Seriously .

Very creepy .

It's about a woman ,who marries a corpse ,and how his family deals with it,as his wife and kids are stunned.

In death,he was no longer married,so this woman marries him,in his coffin .

Sick.

Also,I'm not a huge fan of Korean horror. Some is good.

There's one,the name elludes me. There's a serial killer,who leaves the head of his last victim,where his next victim will find it.

Seriously creepy .And then there's Memories of Murder,which based on the true story of Mideast first documented serial killer.

It's just a great flick . Awesome acting. It left me with a sick feeling in my gut at the end.

I saw thiis movie last night called They It was in subtitles about this couple that get terrorized by these kids and eventually killed, It wasent scary I just wanted to mention it.

here is a list of must seee. movies....scariest of all time

top 1 = the eye . chinese version ... usa version sucks.

the grudge . japanese version a master piece,,,.. us version is goood.

the ring japanese version . us version is decent..

the others

the messenger

poltergeist

shutter

silent hill

na nak , thailand movie

damn there so many great great great horro movies.... .. wont name them all.. but these movies... .. watch it ....... ... i quarantee you . you wont be dissapointed. .. well maybe a couple of sleepless weeeks :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like 1

The only movie i ever found scary was the exorcist. After watching it when i was about 5 i had nightmares for at least a couple of months. By the time

i watched it again when i wwas about 13 i found it funny. The creepiest character imo was rev Kane from poltergeist 2.

• Like 1

What scares me the most is when the movie poster says things like 'Heartwarming', 'feelgood', romantic', etc. One look and I'm off like a rat up a drainpipe!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

The creepiest character imo was rev Kane from poltergeist 2.

Agreed!

[media=]

[/media]

The Ring

In terms of sheer disgustingness and the mental illness the writers had while thinking of these scripts: Wrong Turn 3 and 4 and the Human Centipede movies. Ugh...

Yeah I agree those human centipede movies are just bottom of the barrel disgusting!!

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x
  • Like 1

As a kid, it was Salems' Lot - "Let me innnn..." O.o And of course The Exorcist, classic!!

Hard to truly scare me as an adult. :(

• Like 2

Agreed!

[media=]

[/media]

I prefer the tall man from Phantasm.

And no one mentioned Jeepers Creepers.

That was pretty creepy for a B teenage angst movie.

The Exorcist frightened me when I was a child. I was 4 the first time I saw the movie. I don't find it frightening anymore. I love the horror genre more than any other, so I've seen many horror films and really don't find any to be scary. If I find one that unnerves me, I consider it a great film. I also like horror films that have intricate plot lines. I don't really care for torture horror. I find those to be too dependent on shock factor and less dependent on actual story progression. The films which depend on the fear of the unknown/unseen are truly the best imo. I do have a fondness for Asian horror. For the American remakes of foreign horror - I find them to be sub-par compared to the originals. I think that films like Rosemary's Baby and Suspiria are amongst the best - atmospherically, anyway. Horror films can't be truly good unless the tone is right. One of the best films I've seen in a long time though is the 2006 film Salvage. It's low budget, but worth the watch. Here's the trailer for it, for those interested:

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 2

The problem I have with Horror movies is that they seem to just go for 'startlement'

and gross out factor rather than actual true horror...

Just because a movie might have something that jumps out and says "boo" and makes you

jump because it was sudden and unexpected... does not (IMO) make it a horror picture...

However... when I was a kid (about 7 I guess) I really use to love watching "Friday Night Frights"

on the local TV station...

One night the movie was "The Curse of the Demon" about some weird looking giant half bear

half bat looking demon thing that was basically eatting London (at least I think it was London -)

I and my two oldest sisters were laying down about a foot and a half from the TV raptly watching the

demon thing which was reaching out to get the heroine with its huge claws- just as my dad scratched

heavily on the window screen...

Our screams woke up our younger sisters and the neighbors...

Dad was a bit of a practical joker at times....

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

haha Taun.. Sounds like my dad. We had something similar on local TV here in NC... It was called Shock Theatre. I love horror hosts - they make cheesy B-Rate horror films all the more fun! Once, when I was about 4 or 5, I watched a film on Shock Theatre and it was about a monster which came up from drains. I was so frightened of this one movie in particular that I was afraid to go to the loo. **chuckles**

• Like 2

haha Taun.. Sounds like my dad. We had something similar on local TV here in NC... It was called Shock Theatre. I love horror hosts - they make cheesy B-Rate horror films all the more fun! Once, when I was about 4 or 5, I watched a film on Shock Theatre and it was about a monster which came up from drains. I was so frightened of this one movie in particular that I was afraid to go to the loo. **chuckles**

My dad used to love telling ghost stories - and wildly impossible tall-tales... He especially liked telling one about "The Ghost of San Cristobal" - he heard it while we were stationed in Puerto Rico - About an old time Spanish nobleman who was beheaded and buried with his horse (for some weird reason)... every year on Halloween he (and his horse) would rise from the grave and ride about searching for his head... Dad use to really love telling how the poor guards of the fortress would be out on midnight rounds and see the horseman riding at them - making no sound at all - then as they caught up with the fleeing guard the horses front hooves would turn into grasping claws and drag the guard back to the grave with them... He would always follow up with a very ominous and creepy description of the horse approaching it's next victim and then grab us....

Hmmm... no wonder I'm so demented....

• Like 1