Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

the fourth kind............defiantly one of the scariest I've watched, only because it is based on a true story and could totally be real. i would advise everyone that can to for sure check it out, and tell me what you think about it!

Saw that one, not too sure about it but it was freaky.

Saw that one, not too sure about it but it was freaky.

yes it was, and i do believe it was based on a true story..wasnt there something in the movie saying so?

Yes it was loosely based on true events. As far as I know the daughter is still missing.

Very much so. Aliens are a touchy yet interesting subject I think.

Very much so. Aliens are a touchy yet interesting subject I think.

i feel the same, i think it is a touchy subject because we as the human race fear the unknown...but thats just my opinion

the fourth kind............defiantly one of the scariest I've watched, only because it is based on a true story and could totally be real. i would advise everyone that can to for sure check it out, and tell me what you think about it!

Its not a true story its based on some disappearances that happened there. There was no sign they were extraterrestrial. The production company even went as far as to make fake websites for mila jovevich's character.

Good movie though.

• Like 2

The Entity (1982) Supposedly based partially on a true story, a woman is tormented and sexually molested by an invisible demon!

• Like 1

When my mother was a teenager back in the Seventies she went to the cinema to see The Exorcist.

Apparently many of the people in the cinema were so shocked and terrified by what they saw in the movie that many of them, mainly females, actually collapsed and had to be taken outside by the St John Ambulance to ambulances outside which were actually put on standby. I think each cinema in Britain had to have three ambulances waiting outside when The Exorcist was released.

The movie actually ended up being banned in Britain for many years. It wasn't released on video in Britain until 1999 and it wasn't shown on British television until 2001, almost 30 years after its release.

the-exorcist-and-my-mother-L-G2Z3Ry.png

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

I watched a British horror movie called The Torment (2009) the other night and that's quite creepy.

A young couple are sat on their sofa in their London home just after midnight when they hear a knock on their door. This causes them to feel a little nervous as they wondering who it could be at that time of night.

The man carefully opens the front door and finds that it's just his best friend David. His friend comes in and explains that his girlfiriend has dumped him for another man. So his friend allows him to stay at his house.

But it turns out that David also has another problem. He is also being plagued by terrifying demonic entities - and he has brought these demonic entities with him to his friends' home.

But are there REALLY demonic entities - or is something else going on?

b509581_2pa.jpg

Absentia is def a good movie. the rest that i have read throughout this thread r not even remotely scary and would more suit to scare a child rather than an adult. So the real question is what exactly scares us adults or leaves a shock value that equals to being scared. Cuz nothing really ever scares the **** out of you besides normal things like a near death experience ie a near wreck an eighteen wheeler almost knocking you off the side of the road while you r taking a walk or something at the corner of your eye that makes you think its someone right behind you when its really a lock of hair but you jump anyways, lol. That feeling of the rush is always good.

I still get spooked out by the shiz that creeped me as a child, it's somehow even worse now I appreciate the complex reasons that moved me as a kid, you don't change all that much as you grow imo, a once thriving community slowly burning and smoking from below and now more or less empty and forgotten will always seem pretty eerie to me no matter how many years expand amongst the cracks!

Edited by DancingCorpse

• 2 weeks later...

The paranormal activity movies creep me out and leave me quite paranoid. Paranormal Entity was good as far as getting jumps, and the use of a 'local legend' sort of background was done very well. Ju-On is very scary; the Japanese know what they're doing. Apartment 143, Paranormal Activity style, but a little more overt; quite a fun watch. VHS...the overplot was stupid, but each individual subplot was pretty good, definitely creepy, especially the attic scene, and surrounding story. While it wasn't the greatest, the Devil Inside kept my attention. The Ward, while cheesy, was also good. It kept me guessing for quite a while. Lovely Molly was weird. Poltergeist was my first scary movie and freaked me out for weeks after seeing it. The Descent was also good, I haven't seen the sequels yet, though. Sublime was amazing. The most unexpected one, though, was Grave Encounters; definitely cheesy, but quality scares. This thread is great. It's giving me so many great movie ideas!

Don't watch the second descent, it's godAWFUL!! The first was one of the best horrors made in the last twenty years, not exactly a difficult achievement but it was an interesting movie, full of claustrophobia and nail biting situations and truly ruthless creatures. The psychological layer is effective and you'll never look at a cave the same way again!

I finally came across a copy of The Descent a few months ago and I was very excited to watch it after all of the great reviews I read and heard. However, I was very disappointed. I liked the premise at first, but the monsters just made it too "over the top" for me to like it. To each his/her own, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

The Descent is great until the creatures become fully formed and understood in the viewers mind, it is great until that moment, they are over used and it becomes your basic survival horror concept. Still a great effort and a solid 7 out of 10 in my opinion.

The paranormal activity movies creep me out and leave me quite paranoid. Paranormal Entity was good as far as getting jumps, and the use of a 'local legend' sort of background was done very well. Ju-On is very scary; the Japanese know what they're doing. Apartment 143, Paranormal Activity style, but a little more overt; quite a fun watch. VHS...the overplot was stupid, but each individual subplot was pretty good, definitely creepy, especially the attic scene, and surrounding story. While it wasn't the greatest, the Devil Inside kept my attention. The Ward, while cheesy, was also good. It kept me guessing for quite a while. Lovely Molly was weird. Poltergeist was my first scary movie and freaked me out for weeks after seeing it. The Descent was also good, I haven't seen the sequels yet, though. Sublime was amazing. The most unexpected one, though, was Grave Encounters; definitely cheesy, but quality scares. This thread is great. It's giving me so many great movie ideas!

You got some great movies in your list there. I have seen all of them.

I have a few that you might have missed out on.

After Life

Below

Case 39

The.Objectiv

Lamke Mungo (this was a good one)

Pontypool

Sesseion 9

The Bunker

The Devil's Rock

The.Five.People.You.Meet.In.Heaven

Death of a Ghost Hunter

Let me know what you though of them

Poltergeist has a few disconcerting moments but is mostly comprised of fairground scares, a good movie with brilliant effects however. The film is innovative and compelling but it just doesn't scare me. Probably because I am extremely interested in the content and somewhat desensitized :su

The Descent is great until the creatures become fully formed and understood in the viewers mind, it is great until that moment, they are over used and it becomes your basic survival horror concept. Still a great effort and a solid 7 out of 10 in my opinion.

I think the scary thing about it is that there in an enclosed space and then theres the creatures in there and there starting to not trust eachother. It gets intense. By the way its NOTHING like the book.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

Oya the claustrophobia definitely cranks up the venom in the atmosphere. It's strange how caves haven't been too prevalent in movies (Batcave aside :D) I guess cause they're such annoying places to convey onscreen. The lighting is really effective in this film too, I like the contrast with the pre-caving section and how the relationships play out down there. Didn't know it was based on a book, I'm usually adamant on reading content before screen transition too!

You got some great movies in your list there. I have seen all of them.

I have a few that you might have missed out on.

After Life

Below

Case 39

The.Objectiv

Lamke Mungo (this was a good one)

Pontypool

Sesseion 9

The Bunker

The Devil's Rock

The.Five.People.You.Meet.In.Heaven

Death of a Ghost Hunter

Let me know what you though of them

Case 39 was good, but too predictable...I saw right where it was going, however that little girl did a stellar job, both in that movie and Silent Hill. Session 9 is also good, what I've seen that is. I've started watching it several times and then fallen asleep. Not because it's boring or anything, but because I started it late at night. The others, though, I'll look into them. Death of a Ghost Hunter is or was on Netflix, so that will be the first one I check out. Thanks!