Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best evidence for ET visitation - 3rd edition

Hazzard

Looks promising... I'll wait for the full announcement, but I must say it looks pretty cool. Thanks for posting it DBunker :)

Maybe not as exciting as evidence of ET visitation.... but yea, this looks like it could be BIG.

And not the "full disclosure" woo woo nonsense either.... this is real science. Real evidence. :tu:

• Like 1

The data will be that Mars has Life,Water Drive-inns, B.B.Q joints and a Few choice Land deals still left ! Lets Get THat Mars Mission going Mid ! :tsu::alien:

A picture of some ancient zoolite would be soooo cooool.

It will most likely be organic compounds that they have found, or something similar. That's still pretty cool though. :tu:

Maybe we will get the word b-4 the weekend ! So I know wether to Eat so Much Turkey or start building my own Starship ?

Hey, Hazzard..... maybe this is the exhibit A you are looking for??

"This data is going to be one for the history books, it's looking really good,"

http://news.cnet.com...-on-mars..-yet/

I hope they take their time and get it right. They have billions in funding riding on this.

Zero margin for error.

It will most likely be organic compounds that they have found, or something similar. That's still pretty cool though. :tu:

Where is the line between life and "just" organic compounds.... I wonder?

DB the line is If the compound walks up to Curiosity and Kicks it to see what it responds too ! :clap::alien::tu:

This data is? Clearly Grammer isn't a qualification for the lead scientist for the Curiosity mission at NASA, then. :angry:

This data is? Clearly Grammer isn't a qualification for the lead scientist for the Curiosity mission at NASA, then. :angry:

If that truly is the case, then how would you phrase it?

If that truly is the case, then how would you phrase it?

The word data is the plural of datum, neuter past participle of the Latin dare, "to give", hence "something given".

So it should be "these data are".

Not that these things bother me much, but if we must go down that path of yours,... its spelled Grammar, not grammer.

Not that these things bother me much, but if we must go down that path of yours,... its spelled Grammar, not grammer.

You win the Donut for Spotting the Deliberate Mistake for today.

Oh, you have no idea. I review papers for scientific journals on a regular basis and sometimes even I have to shake my head. I am by no means good at grammar (in fact, I suck at it), but hand me Maxwell's equations or Schroedinger's, and I'll be right on it.

Scientists are not English teachers, they are scientists with all the flaws that it entails.

Cheers,

Badeskov

The question of using the apostrophe..... I never do.... decided not to a long time ago. :D

Hey Badeskov.... what do you think about the Curiosity find and the silence before the "storm".

<snip>

Hey Badeskov.... what do you think about the Curiosity find and the silence before the "storm".

My completely unfounded guess is that they have identified organic compounds that are either precursors to or the possible result of life. Complete guess on my behalf, though.

The silence before the storm is normal. Trust me, they want to be absolutely certain that they have all their ducks in a row before announcing anything groundbreaking, if that is what it turns out to be. That means that everybody on the team responsible for this analysis agrees with the conclusion and that all sources of error they can possibly think of have been assessed.

In other words, they don't want another Fleischmann and Pons.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I too think that NASA is being tight lipped due to due-dilligance ! We dont need no stinkin Martian Invasion News Hittin right B-4 X-mass , With all the fun and games we get in here anyway !

Yes,... After almost 20 years, dueling papers are still coming out, and the opposing parties are no closer to a resolution. :no:

It is understandable that NASA wants to be sure this time.