Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Warlock' alowed to break curfew on full moon

Still Waters

For a warlock who worships the goddess of the moon, curfews can be a bit of a hindrance.

So when Cerwyn Jones found himself being punished by a court for carrying a five-inch ceremonial knife in a pub he was quick to plead special Wiccan circumstances.

The 52-year-old was sentenced to four months of staying indoors between the hours of 7pm and 7am.

But magistrates agreed to suspend the order on four nights after hearing he needed to go out during a full moon to practise his Wicca faith.

Wicca – or white witchcraft – is a neo-pagan religion which saw a resurgence in popularity in the 20th century.

Its followers believe the whole cosmos is alive and as such the waxing, waning and full moon are extremely important.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wyrdlight

• NavyDoc

• Purplos

• Mistydawn

So will he also be allowed to carry his knife on those nights as well?

Sorry, but "The Law is an Ass" springs to mind.

So a man who happened to have a knife on him, drinking a soft drink and presumably not bothering anyone is sentenced to 4 months probation.

And all the stories I hear of mobs of 'chavs' running wild over neighborhoods over there...

Interesting justice system.

That's the design, tho! Once they get you in or fine your ass, your in the system for good & soon they will be pulling you over on the way home from work, too. That's ANOTHER fine to pay & more cops to deal with. It's a brutal system & it's a huge money maker.

Around here everyone carries a knife to the bar. Most carry guns as well. Maybe thats why so many of them get shot every night at closing time. Idiots.

Around here everyone carries a knife to the bar. Most carry guns as well. Maybe thats why so many of them get shot every night at closing time. Idiots.

lol! Survival of the fittest I say....

Edited by ColoradoParanormal

Previous firearms charges and threatening to kill. Hmmm. You'd think after being sentenced to

six years in jail, he'd know not to carry knives around in public places. I don't care what his

religeon is, I don't trust this guy.

You'd think after being sentenced to six years in jail, he'd know not to carry knives around in public places.

Some people never learn.

I would not advocate releasing a warlock with a weapon at all, be it ceremonial or otherwise. I'll explain:

The word 'warlock' means 'oath breaker' and has nothing to do with Wicca. When looking at the origins of the word, however, it seems apparent that any possible warlocks are just not Wiccan, as they do not follow the Wiccan Rede. Meanwhile I have read that many Wiccans just don't believe warlocks exist at all.

If the guy was actually a witch, and the term warlock was wrongly used, then I applaud this move to allow him to practice his religion freely, and to carry his athame.

As a Pagan I think think this story is bunk Just the face that they used the term Warlock make's this group a bunch of wannabes. As someone else said it's a term for someone who was kicked out for breaking the rules of a covern.

• 2 months later...

I have never ceased to be amazed at the endless variety of behaviors that humans are capable of, especially the really unconscious one's, it's just awesome.

Sometimes all you can do is just shake your head.

I'm sort of curious what type of ceremony happens in a pub. Most practitioners I know don't carry their ceremonial objects around with them when going to the bar, or in public in general. Or have the tendency to go to the pub on the same evening of a ceremony.

I'm not doubting the guys faith.. but this is kind of fishy to me.

As a Pagan I think think this story is bunk Just the face that they used the term Warlock make's this group a bunch of wannabes. As someone else said it's a term for someone who was kicked out for breaking the rules of a covern.

It's england dear... they tend to call many things different then we here.

Wait, so Sikhs are alowed to carry thier little curved blades, but Wiccans are not?

Seems highly one sided to me.

The law in the UK states.

"Any Fixed blade or non-fixed blade with a lnegth in excess of three inches is automaticly considered an offensive weapon unless the defendant can prove otherwise".

Essentially, a fixed blade, or non-fixed blade greater than 3 inches is assumed to be "offensive" and you will be arrested if found carrying one unless you can prove you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. Any non-fixed blade under 3 inches, like the smaller swiss army knife for example is NOT assumed to be an offensive weapon, and you can only be arrested if using it in an offensive manner, or in conjunction with anything that effects your state of mind like drink or drugs.

Now one could take the view that the mans faith legitimises his carrying of a fixed blade, its dodgy ground though.

Wait, so Sikhs are alowed to carry thier little curved blades, but Wiccans are not?

Seems highly one sided to me.

The law in the UK states.

"Any Fixed blade or non-fixed blade with a lnegth in excess of three inches is automaticly considered an offensive weapon unless the defendant can prove otherwise".

Essentially, a fixed blade, or non-fixed blade greater than 3 inches is assumed to be "offensive" and you will be arrested if found carrying one unless you can prove you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. Any non-fixed blade under 3 inches, like the smaller swiss army knife for example is NOT assumed to be an offensive weapon, and you can only be arrested if using it in an offensive manner, or in conjunction with anything that effects your state of mind like drink or drugs.

Now one could take the view that the mans faith legitimises his carrying of a fixed blade, its dodgy ground though.

Even better: change the law so that people are not charged with carrying an inanimate object, but rather for what they do with said object. If the knife is in his pocket and he is not bothering anyone, he should be left alone.

Even better: change the law so that people are not charged with carrying an inanimate object, but rather for what they do with said object. If the knife is in his pocket and he is not bothering anyone, he should be left alone.

Well, there are issues with that.

With that rule I could walk around with a sawn off shotgun in my jacket and as long as I did not point it at anyone its fine. The law as it stands is fine, its just how its interpreted by the police thats wrong in many cases.

In truth, there is no need whatsoever to carry are large knife around unless its needed by your job, your gardening, camping etc. Any job that needs a blade in todays world (barring certain situation like i mentioned) can be met with a small 2 inch folding blade, which does not contravene Brtish law.

Well, there are issues with that.

With that rule I could walk around with a sawn off shotgun in my jacket and as long as I did not point it at anyone its fine. The law as it stands is fine, its just how its interpreted by the police thats wrong in many cases.

In truth, there is no need whatsoever to carry are large knife around unless its needed by your job, your gardening, camping etc. Any job that needs a blade in todays world (barring certain situation like i mentioned) can be met with a small 2 inch folding blade, which does not contravene Brtish law.

Shrug. I think British law has erred too far on the side of blaming the object and into more of a bliss-ninny land. How much more dangerous is a 3 inch blade than a 2 inch blade? What makes a 2 inched fixed blade more dangerous than a 2 inch folder?

And notice, all of those laws have not prevented knife deaths, which is why they keep asking for more knife laws.

I am liscensed to carry a pistol every day and not once has it fired itself.

Shrug. I think British law has erred too far on the side of blaming the object and into more of a bliss-ninny land. How much more dangerous is a 3 inch blade than a 2 inch blade? What makes a 2 inched fixed blade more dangerous than a 2 inch folder?

And notice, all of those laws have not prevented knife deaths, which is why they keep asking for more knife laws.

I am liscensed to carry a pistol every day and not once has it fired itself.

A 2 inch blade is less dangerous because three inches of penetration are needed to reach vital organs and kill in a single stirke (barring a stab to the throat that hits the artery).

Thus the 3 inch law.

Folding blades (or non-fixed blade to be more precise) are considerd less dangerous as they fold back easily under a stabbing motion, thus being dangerous the an attackers hands. Also non-locking blades are not made beyond a certain size in accordance with the 3 inch rule.

Going on thise lines, I could carry a canister of VX Nerve Agent around in my pocket and it never goes off, if it did it may well wipe out every living thing in a quater mile radius, but hey! it wont ever happen right?

I dont think members of the public should be allowed to carry the means to wipe out half a dozen people in as many seconds. Sure YOU might be a perfectly responisble gun owner, but not everyone is. I shudder to think what would happen if firearms were more freely availble in the UK, my part of south london is plagued with drunken fights, muggins and stabbings. If guns were more common we would be ankle deep in gun-shot teenagers.

If the worst a drunk guy in a bar can do is bottle somone, its OK, after all, the over dude can grab a bottle himself, if they each had guns, or machete's Friday nights would be a bloodbath.

There is nothing wrong with our laws in principle, just the way in which they are enforced.

• 8 months later...

Although the word warlock was used often in the article, the gentlman in question did not apparently refer to himself as such. Just more ignorant and lazy journalism.