Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lines Between Sci Fi And Reality Blurred?

Bracket

Perhaps inspired by TV favourites such as Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes, nearly a third of Britons (30%) believe that time travel is actually possible. The results were revealed in a survey, launched at the start of National Science and Engineering Week (11-20 March) by Birmingham Science City (www.birminghamsciencecity.co.uk), which aimed to see just how blurred the lines between science and fiction really are.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bracket

• Pretty Obscure

• xXHellkittiesXx

• angi chiesa

According to the Placebo effect.. what we believe in can and will manifest true results. Discuss.

According to the Placebo effect.. what we believe in can and will manifest true results. Discuss.

So, if we believe in time travel, it magically exists? :huh:

And can you please stop saying "discuss", i've already read your threads that end with the same thing.

So, if we believe in time travel, it magically exists? :huh:

And can you please stop saying "discuss", i've already read your threads that end with the same thing.

The repetitive nature of my final wording resonates within. You remember it already, and I've only used it a handful of times. Such is the nature of the beast.

Who are we to bonk what others believe? Their right to exist permeates beyond any perception I could pull upon them. All I was implicating was that according to the placebo effect, in it's basest form, it dictates that our beliefs are stronger than the material world.

Time travel is in iffy-subject. I, presently, have no stock in this belief. It does not, however, permit me to disbelieve in it either. A century ago, space travel would be clumped within the same genre of science-fiction to be honest.

The repetitive nature of my final wording resonates within. You remember it already, and I've only used it a handful of times. Such is the nature of the beast.

but why?

Goes to show whoever wrote the article doesn't watch TV because Ashes to Ashes isn't about Time Travel. It just LOOKS LIKE it's about Time Travel. It's actually a story of personal redemption SPOILER......... after death.

Goes to show whoever wrote the article doesn't watch TV because Ashes to Ashes isn't about Time Travel. It just LOOKS LIKE it's about Time Travel. It's actually a story of personal redemption SPOILER......... after death.

Ok....... But that has very little to do with the topic.

"Nearly a quarter (24%) of people are wrong in their belief that humans can be teleported."

There is no scientific proof that teleportation is possible or impossible, it is simply a theory.

"Nearly 50% of adults wrongly believe that memory-erasing technology exists."

There is absolutely no way to know. It is plausible however even if it did exist government would probably keep it under wraps. (And if you learned about it they'd probably use it on you.)

"More than 40% of people incorrectly believe that hover boards exist."

Hover technology does exist, it's all a matter of implementation.

This poll seems incredibly bias and close-minded and they speak of science as though it's fact.

Scientific laws are simply widely believed observations that at any given moment can be proved or disproved with newly found evidence and study..

Wait.....Lightsabers don't exist?! I'll never be a Jedi...:(

There are hopes yet, my friend.

There is a newly invented device that absorbs lasers.

If they could use that device to allow a laser to go, say 3 feet and then be absorbed... you have yourself a crude lightsaber.

Only the future holds the answer but it's surprisingly plausible.

If you believe in hoverboards,then you probably believe in hovering spacecraft,well how else can a crop circle be made

If you believe in hoverboards,then you probably believe in hovering spacecraft,well how else can a crop circle be made

Just because it's not practical doesn't mean it's not possible.

And just because it's not mainstream doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYOZxsIWHZs

Edited by The one known simply as L

Dream all you like,but time travel will not happen on this planet,cos noone from the future has come back ,not even with a hoverboard

How telling. People believe in sci-fi inspired stuff.

For those babbling about "Ooooh, it's possible, yada yada..." Keep in mind, that's what sci-fi is all about, fiction based on science. Unlike pure fantasy. Yes, hover-boards, time travel, light sabers, are all theoretically plausible on some level, just like inter-stellar space travel is theoretically possible.

Discuss. (How pretentious).

Traveling to the moon is no longer science fiction.

Communicators are no longer science fiction.

Every home having a computer is no longer science fiction.

3D TV is no longer science fiction.

To paraphrase Agent K....imagine what won't be science fiction tomorrow.

Dream all you like,but time travel will not happen on this planet,cos noone from the future has come back ,not even with a hoverboard

how the heck do you know?

Anything could have the possibility to come true, except time travel within the same realm of existence (because of the paradoxes)

Hover boards do exist. There was a guy in the states that won some kind of science competition building one with household appliances. It got a few feet off the ground.

Hover boards do exist. There was a guy in the states that won some kind of science competition building one with household appliances. It got a few feet off the ground.

...but it's not a hover-board like a sci-fi version ala "Back to the Future...that's what we are talking about here.

"Nearly a quarter (24%) of people are wrong in their belief that humans can be teleported."

There is no scientific proof that teleportation is possible or impossible, it is simply a theory.

"Nearly 50% of adults wrongly believe that memory-erasing technology exists."

There is absolutely no way to know. It is plausible however even if it did exist government would probably keep it under wraps. (And if you learned about it they'd probably use it on you.)

"More than 40% of people incorrectly believe that hover boards exist."

Hover technology does exist, it's all a matter of implementation.

This poll seems incredibly bias and close-minded and they speak of science as though it's fact.

Scientific laws are simply widely believed observations that at any given moment can be proved or disproved with newly found evidence and study..

It's talking about right now. Right now, there is no human teleportation. Right now, there's no memory-erasing technology. Right now, there are no actual hover boards.

It's talking about right now. Right now, there is no human teleportation. Right now, there's no memory-erasing technology. Right now, there are no actual hover boards.

C'mon Bracket, I believe it's safe to say if this poll was taken here on UM the numbers may be grossly larger. :hmm:

C'mon Bracket, I believe it's safe to say if this poll was taken here on UM the numbers may be grossly larger. :hmm:

lol. :P

My Light Sabre is real. I used it to slay ao Ogre yesterday! This proves the poll is faulty.