Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Bracket

The Lines Between Sci Fi And Reality Blurred?

36 posts in this topic

I hate to sound like the 'crazy' guy here, but:

1) Hoverboards are absolutely real. We just don't have magnetic roads yet (which were implied as established 'future' infrastructure, to any physicist watching Back to the Future part 2)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/197371/hoverboard_project_takes_flightand_actually_hovers.html

2) Lightsabers are also real, although you shouldn't use one in battle, at least against an opponent with a powerful magnet...

http://weblogs.variety.com/bltv/2009/11/geek-alert-science-channel-builds-a-lightsaber-2.html

3)Teleportation is very real, and currently in development. Chris Monroe has done it.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1874760,00.html

I'm just saying... Perhaps the survey questions should have been more qualified... These things all do actually exist...

-Brand

Time travel the chance to go back and fix all the mistakes you made, to find out the answers to lifes mysteries and the chance to what the world will be like in the future. There are lots of reasons why people believe that time travel could be possible.

I would really like to see how the question from this survey was worded.

For example if the ask "Do you believe human teleportation is possible?", well then people might answer yes, knowing the technology doesnt exist now, but thinking that it might be possible in the future.

Also, i refuse to believe over 20% believe star wars lightsabers are real, people are stupid, but not THAT stupid (i havent lost all faith in humanity yet). People might have answered yes because they thought the question was too stupid to give a proper answer to, i know thats what i would do.

I would really like to see how the question from this survey was worded.

For example if the ask "Do you believe human teleportation is possible?", well then people might answer yes, knowing the technology doesnt exist now, but thinking that it might be possible in the future.

Also, i refuse to believe over 20% believe star wars lightsabers are real, people are stupid, but not THAT stupid (i havent lost all faith in humanity yet). People might have answered yes because they thought the question was too stupid to give a proper answer to, i know thats what i would do.

Good point! Wording is a big factor here. Also, i refuse to believe over 20% believe star wars lightsabers are real, people are stupid, but not THAT stupid (i havent lost all faith in humanity yet). People might have answered yes because they thought the question was too stupid to give a proper answer to, i know thats what i would do. You may be being too kind lol

There are hopes yet, my friend.

There is a newly invented device that absorbs lasers.

If they could use that device to allow a laser to go, say 3 feet and then be absorbed... you have yourself a crude lightsaber.

Only the future holds the answer but it's surprisingly plausible.

Sweet!

It's talking about right now. Right now, there is no human teleportation. Right now, there's no memory-erasing technology. Right now, there are no actual hover boards.

Hoverboards do exist right now. They just aren't useful or developed well enough to be a mainstream item available to the general public.

Teleportation has been used to transfer data although it's not human teleportation it's well on it's way. And it's very possible it's already happened there is no way for us to know.

And as for the Memory-erasing technology, I stick with my 'even if we did know, they'd just use it on us' theory.

I also think this survey has ****ed up on their wording of the question like a few others have already stated in this thread.

They're asking for peopls opinions i.e. 'Do you think ______ is real?' 'Do you think ______ is possible?' and when the viewer gives his opinion they spin it to make it look like they're retarded and think space age tech exists in it's highest form right now.

Posted (edited)

1) I believe in lightsabers. The toy ones anyway...

I was a big Star Wars nerd for years, so I feel I can comment on lightsabers. First they are not lasers or even light based. They are plasma contained in a selective force field that is shaped like a rod. The force field is transparent to physical objects, but solid to energy and other force fields. I could see someone building one from a plasma torch with some kind of magnetic bottle field on the end to form the blade.

Another way to do the same thing is with a plasma inside a magnetic field that runs out along a rod of some kind. The rod would have to be able to take the plasma, and still produce the containment field. I agree with the poster that said this is completely possible, just horrendously expensive.

2) Time Travel also could be possible, just not into the past. Pushing people into the future would cause no paradoxes.

3) Instantaneous Quantum Teleportation I think will never be used on complex molecules. Would you really think it is OK to have your body destroyed and a complete replica rebuilt in some kind of matter printer somewhere else?

Wouldn't you call it teleportation if you used an laser to reduce an object, say a brass button, to nothing, one atom at a time, then record which atom was where and then send that data by a fiber optic or electrical wire to somewhere 1000 miles away, and have a CNC machine make the exact same part? Isn't it teleportation to type something on a website and have it read by others seconds latter? Does teleportation have to be instantaneous?

4) Did they say in Back to the Future how the hoverboard worked? I don't think so, so anything that flys or floats and has a skateboard shape is a hoverboard. And we all know such things exist.

It will not be long till we have wrist computers with 3D holographic displays.... I predict.

Edited by DieChecker

...but it's not a hover-board like a sci-fi version ala "Back to the Future...that's what we are talking about here.

My point is, the people who were polled are being mocked for their answers, but they might have been referring to far less fantastical ideas. I mean, if someone asked me if I thought time travel was true, I would say possibly. Not because I believe there are people time traveling, but because some legitimate scientists have theorized that it's possible. All I'm saying is, these people might not be living in a complete fantasy world and it's being painted that way.

Good point! Wording is a big factor here. Also, i refuse to believe over 20% believe star wars lightsabers are real, people are stupid, but not THAT stupid (i havent lost all faith in humanity yet). People might have answered yes because they thought the question was too stupid to give a proper answer to, i know thats what i would do. You may be being too kind lol

Well i never met/talked with anyone who was that stupid at least, maybe i have just been lucky. But still, i just cant believe this survey is telling the true picture.

I have a hover board and pics to prove it...... just ignore the obvious photo shop work.

which aimed to see just how blurred the lines between science and fiction really are.

You could say the same thing about:-

Black holes

Quasars

Supermassive black holes

Dark matter

Dark energy

The Big Bang

The Higg's "God" particle

etc. etc.

:rolleyes: