Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japanese look to ancient traditions

Persia

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• 3rd rock resident alien

• jenhorror16

• d e v i c e

wow, people turn to God when they desperately need help, but rejected him when in peace.

Brilliant.

/sarcarsm

I duno about their spiritual strength..but I would dare say - Japan will rebuild what was lost... with or without the help of any spirits ...

There is no god in Buddhism, and Shinto is more to do with spirits and the earth rather than a singular God.

Plus, how can you reject someone in a time of peace? It's like doing well on your homework, so why would you need help from a teacher?

wow, people turn to God when they desperately need help, but rejected him when in peace.

Brilliant.

/sarcarsm

They could do something more useful with their time.

New flash, the Japanese were never religious since Post-WW2.

Brilliant.

/sarcarsm

You can say that again. Remember 9/11.

They say it like the japanese are like many people here in the states. Part time religious. The Japanese always look to their faiths.. be it Shinto or Buddhist in time of need or in time of peace.

Brilliant.

/sarcarsm

No, the article makes it SOUND like that's how it is. I'm not so sure about Buddhism in Japan (other than its merged a bit with Shinto), but I know Shinto is less like a religion and more like a way of life. There are shrines all over. . .and Shinto shrines aren't necessarily like churches or whatnot. Some of them are quite small, like a telephone booth. They are dotted all over the cities and rural areas. There are also places considered natural shrines, like waterfalls or a certain group of trees, etc. They are like this so that they are easily accessed by travelers or those in a hurry. This, in itself, proves that its something that is taken seriously.

It's not a religion, like Christianity, where one can scoff and say things like you just did. It's deeply rooted in Japanese tradition. . .again, I say, a way of life. The main components of Shinto are tradition and family, love and respect for nature, physical cleanliness, and worship/honor given to kami (nature spirits) and ancestral spirits. These are things that are lived out every day. By the way that it functions, it appears like it is leaned more heavily upon during times of crisis, but that's not really true. When something bad happens, the good kami are called upon for help. And, in order to get the help of the good kami for this purpose, more praises and gifts are given than on an everyday basis when all things are fine and dandy. It's a form of ghosti- guest/host relationship. You give in order that they may give in return. They need the help of the good kami in times of distress in order to set things right again, so, more is given in order to receive help on a large scale. In many polytheistic/nature based religions, this is how things work. . .this is considered being pious. It's an entirely different way of being than religions such as Christianity, so it can not be judged against it.

It's a very beautiful and complex religion, and it does not deserve to be criticized in such a way.

Evidence of the depth of Shinto/Buddhist ways can be seen in the lack of looting being done. If such a thing happened in America, you could bet there would be all kinds of stories about looters and thieves. This is because of their culture, of which Shinto and Buddhism make up a big portion of the fabric. Honor, family, and social bonds are considered more important than a big screen TV. It is against everything taught to them from birth to try and personally gain from a disaster or misfortune. In my opinion, we could all learn a bit from them.

No, the article makes it SOUND like that's how it is. I'm not so sure about Buddhism in Japan (other than its merged a bit with Shinto)

*snip*

You beat me to it! LOL! The only reason you know all that is because I told you, heifer! :P

You beat me to it! LOL! The only reason you know all that is because I told you, heifer! :P

Sooooo . . .Now you know I listen to you! :yes:

*wubbles yoooouuuu*

When uncounted thousands have died in a disaster such as last week's earthquake and tsunami, where will the Japanese people find spiritual strength?

http://www.usatoday....irit15_ST_N.htm

You must be watching CNN about what an amazing culture this is, no looting, treat each other as a brother or sister, immense respect for their elders, even the Christian radio station in Los Angeles is going on and on about how they have come together in this time and are serving as an example for the rest of us.

I'll tell you from what I see what ever their spiritual orientation or not these people are remarkable. I tip my hat to them.

I am thinking it is a Buddhist culture and maybe that is why they are so amazing in this time. .

Edited by Sherapy

No, the article makes it SOUND like that's how it is. I'm not so sure about Buddhism in Japan (other than its merged a bit with Shinto), but I know Shinto is less like a religion and more like a way of life. There are shrines all over. . .and Shinto shrines aren't necessarily like churches or whatnot. Some of them are quite small, like a telephone booth. They are dotted all over the cities and rural areas. There are also places considered natural shrines, like waterfalls or a certain group of trees, etc. They are like this so that they are easily accessed by travelers or those in a hurry. This, in itself, proves that its something that is taken seriously.

It's not a religion, like Christianity, where one can scoff and say things like you just did. It's deeply rooted in Japanese tradition. . .again, I say, a way of life. The main components of Shinto are tradition and family, love and respect for nature, physical cleanliness, and worship/honor given to kami (nature spirits) and ancestral spirits. These are things that are lived out every day. By the way that it functions, it appears like it is leaned more heavily upon during times of crisis, but that's not really true. When something bad happens, the good kami are called upon for help. And, in order to get the help of the good kami for this purpose, more praises and gifts are given than on an everyday basis when all things are fine and dandy. It's a form of ghosti- guest/host relationship. You give in order that they may give in return. They need the help of the good kami in times of distress in order to set things right again, so, more is given in order to receive help on a large scale. In many polytheistic/nature based religions, this is how things work. . .this is considered being pious. It's an entirely different way of being than religions such as Christianity, so it can not be judged against it.

It's a very beautiful and complex religion, and it does not deserve to be criticized in such a way.

Evidence of the depth of Shinto/Buddhist ways can be seen in the lack of looting being done. If such a thing happened in America, you could bet there would be all kinds of stories about looters and thieves. This is because of their culture, of which Shinto and Buddhism make up a big portion of the fabric. Honor, family, and social bonds are considered more important than a big screen TV. It is against everything taught to them from birth to try and personally gain from a disaster or misfortune. In my opinion, we could all learn a bit from them.

Indeed it does not as one uses their example as a Buddhist with the way they act as humans to reflect their spirituality.

They have a non violent ethic that I admire and aspire too in my own life.

The Buddha neither confirmed nor denied the existence of a God. What was important to him was, not mans relationship to God but mans relationship to other human beings. Peace.

Edited by Evilution13

There is no god in Buddhism

They did not turn to God. They are Buddhists.

It depends on what type of Buddhism you are talking about. Many Buddhists do believe in a creator (not the Judeo-Christian creator, but a creator nonetheless).

True. Many Buddhists believe in God, but the Buddha himself prefered to say little on the subject, because to him, the belief in God was simply one of many, many views that cloud the mind and should be set aside if one wishes to gain true enlightenment.

Edited by Evilution13

They did not turn to God. They are Buddhists.

Also wrong not all them are Buddhists some belong to Shinto. Buddhists and Shinto are the two major regions in Japan. Please go learn something about history.

I'm leaning toward Shinto even more known, since it conforms to my beliefs about things. As, I beleive in the environment, honor, family, among other things that Shinto stands for apparently. And it doesn't deserve to be criticized by the likes of the fundamentalist because it doesn't necessarily have a creator or sky daddy. As someone pointed out its a complex religion and part of their society.

And, I'm very proud of the fact that I care more about others in a time of disaster than some on this forum apparently just because the Japaneses don't believe in Christianity or a sky daddy.

Oh also someone pointed out that Buddhist do beleive in a creator just not the Judo-Christan god. I'm also proud of the fact I'm a martial arts as well and live my life around honor and respect for my fellow human beings. Actually learn something about other people religion before you throw insults at them about how they don't beleive in a creator or lumping them in to a single category.

Edited by Ryinrea

It depends on what type of Buddhism you are talking about. Many Buddhists do believe in a creator (not the Judeo-Christian creator, but a creator nonetheless).

I am From Myanmar(aka, Burma) , where Theravada Buddhism Flourish , it is the most acient form of buddhism. which is type of buddhism left unchanged .un-altered since buddha and where total copy original tripitaka still exist.

In buddhism There is are many Super Natural Beings exist (31 plains of existance, where human is 4th level) everything is Cyclic in nature. even universe itself. Buddha teaches about his previous lives and previous other Buddha in previous worlds. rise and fall of civilizations and worlds , it spans not only just this world , but previous worlds and previous universes.

But there is no such creator, everything is according to the law of Cause and Effect.Only Bhamas are close to what christian mentioned God.They thought themselves to be all-seeing , all-knowing , immortal and creator.

Baka Bhama , who believe his existance is immortal (due to very long life span , some Bhama last entire universe) and most supreme being, Buddha confronted him and show him Impermanence Truth , and There are still many realms he dont know of , that exist for him (That he will at one day definately fallen).Even tho Baka Bharma accepted that , he still do not become Enlightened.

Also there is a practice in buddhism which will lead to the path of Bharma (chance of rebirth as Bharma in after lives) , it is recorded in Tri Pitaka and some try to follow that path. But that is not the aim of buddhism. It is not the end of samsara (Rebirth - Cycle) .

Edited by v3ss