Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does education fuel paranormal beliefs?

markdohle

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Nadia B.

• Viral

• Atehequa

...poll of 439 college students found seniors and grad students were more likely than freshmen to believe in haunted houses, psychics...

This is a kind of funky study.

It could be so many other things than the education that causes this.

Smoking to much kush, I think...

As much as I hate myself for saying this, I think I agree that drugs might just be a factor in this.

I blame TV/Internet/Twitter..............

As much as I hate myself for saying this, I think I agree that drugs might just be a factor in this.

Either that or they just enjoy messing with people and/or pretending to be spiritual. Who knows really.

Either that or they just enjoy messing with people and/or pretending to be spiritual. Who knows really.

Why is it so scarey for some people to accept things might exist they can't explain ? How do have a clue what the people in the survey believe ?

Why is it so scarey for some people to accept things might exist they can't explain ? How do have a clue what the people in the survey believe ?

It's not scary at all. People don't reject these claims because they fear them because if that was the case then they would believe so it's a pretty redundant point.

Things we can't explain is also a rather futile point, many people accept they can't explain things and this relates to a Hell of a lot but they are usually things that are already observably true - this would mean things such as dark matter. People haven't yet explained or been able to fully understand these concepts but they're still observably true. On the other hand most paranormal things have no backing. I think you miss the point of accepting what we can't explain.

Also, I've never claimed to know why they believe this I've just made an initial joke and then a follow-up post.

Edited by Virus

This makes perfect sense. First year students think they know everything, the more they study, the more they realize that there's alot they don't understand, therefore they have a more open mind to other unexplainable possibilities.

I don't think that intelligence has a direct link in the belief, however, I just think that most educated people aren't as narrow-minded as the majority.

This does not surprise me. I have spent over 30 years exploring the issue of life after death. After all that time, and with the vast accumulation of reports and evidence the topic needs serious consideration. Too many sceptics have just not done their homework and need to step back and look at the masses of credible evidence in this sphere.

Dr Malcolm Lewis

Fleetwood, UK

i can believe this for sure... but on the other hand it doesn't really prove anything

Wouldn't it be LACK of education?

absolutely not.

This makes perfect sense. First year students think they know everything, the more they study, the more they realize that there's alot they don't understand, therefore they have a more open mind to other unexplainable possibilities.

Figures someone would say this before I got round to it. :lol:

Smoking to much kush, I think...

Funny thing, I was thinking the exact same thing when I clicked on the link.

The more you learn, the more you learn that there is more to learn... or something like that.

The more you learn, the less you realize you know. :yes:

I think it only shows that the older you become the more sure you are and the more confident you are in expressing your beliefs, regardless of what that belief may be.

This does not surprise me. I have spent over 30 years exploring the issue of life after death. After all that time, and with the vast accumulation of reports and evidence the topic needs serious consideration. Too many sceptics have just not done their homework and need to step back and look at the masses of credible evidence in this sphere.

Dr Malcolm Lewis

Fleetwood, UK

Firstly, you should always be sceptical of your own work, never mind someone elses, if you are not you are bad scientist. Secondly, there is no evidence, there is conjecture.

Edited by Mattshark

The more you learn, the less you realize you know. :yes:

Which in no way would lead you into blind belief which is what the paranormal is ;)

I wonder if they looked into what subject people have been educated in, there are serious differences between different degrees, I would expect that in science it leads to more scepticism because if you are not sceptical, you are a bad scientist.

Which in no way would lead you into blind belief which is what the paranormal is ;)

Well now, nobody said these people were believing blindly, though. ;) Perhaps they're also plagued with the neverending supply of dorm room ghosts. :lol: Or maybe it's as Evilution said, that as you mature, you feel more comfortable expressing your beliefs.

Anyone that grows older and learns as they age does realize they know less and less than they previously thought they did. Everything you learn just leads to more and more questions. Anyone with any sort of analytical mind will confirm this, lol. That being said, I don't think it's so much blind belief, as the willingness to believe, rather than deny possibilites outright. :yes:

Does education fuel paranormal beliefs?

LiveScience: Believe it or not, higher education is linked to a greater tendency to believe in ghosts and other paranormal phenomena, according to a new study.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10950526/ns/technology_and_science-science/from/toolbar

What about those who believe in a holy ghost ? Is that belief a product of higher education ?

An entire universe created by a deity in 7 days, white winged beings flying through the air, devils and demons, human males being created out of clay, human females being fashioned out of ribs, Old men parting bodies of water with a staff, people being transformed into pillars of salt, chariots of fire, giants, superhuman strong men, immaculated conceptions, dead people rising from tombs and the drug induced ramblings found in the book of Revelations ?(talk about smoking the kush or ergot poisoning)

Why would all that has been mentioned above not seem paranormal ? Why would accounts of ghosts and the supernatural seem so far fetched to those who take everything written in the bible as being true ?

Just as there are those who don't believe in haunted houses, aliens and cryptids, there are those who don't believe in devils taking the form of talking snakes or ancient people that could reattach a severed ear with out sewing it back on.

A Judeo-Christian agenda perhaps or just more "campfire tales" ?

Edited by Atehequa