Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mists of Avalon

Jamie

There was a mini series on TNT called the Mists of Avalon.  It was very good.  Its a tale that includes magic, war, love, incest, betrayal, adultry, secrets and death.  If you get the chance to see it I recommend you do.  

If you have seen it or read the book let me know what you thought of it.

Jamie

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tommy

• PurpleStuart

• Kira

• SpaceyKC

Jamie,

I have been waiting to see that movie, but forgot it was on last night.  Thanks for reminding me, I will look for a rerun(TNT usually does that), and get back to you.

NORA

• 5 months later...

I am waiting to see that.

As for the book it is one that you can re-read and still find it enthralling. I think what drew me to it was that fact it was told by Morgainne and seen through her eyes....

hmm, don't have TNT, humph!!

I've always been fascinated with Arthurian legend, and I enjoyed Mist of Avalon. I wish it had been longer, because some of the character development suffered a bit. Juliana Margulies is awesome (and hot).

can't wait but if u want some indepth character stuff I'd say read the book cos u get more of an insight then.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also a huge fan of the old Arthurian legend, there are some really excellent reads out there, one of my very favourites is a book called the Winter King, written by Bernard Cornwell.....it's historically very accurate, detailing the Saxon invasions, the change from Paganism to Christianity in Britain......

I live very close to a place called Glastonbury, which is where the real Avalon was supposed to be......the Tor is written about in many books, Merlin himself is supposed to have lived there.......a very magical place...

Also there are dozens of books written by an author called Stephen Lawhead, which is more fantasy based.....but i'm sure you'd love them too, that's of course if you've not already read them all  :)

some websites you might want to look at:

http://www.webworld.co.uk/mall/arthur/

http://www.glastonbury.co.uk/visitors/myths_main.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1223gerald-arthurtomb.html

and of course the RPG:

http://www.avalon-rpg.com/

Bernard Cornwell, I enjoyed reading the first half of his book Stonehenge.  (hmm…can’t think why I never finished reading the rest of it…)

I also enjoy a fair share of Arthurian legend.  I went up to Tintagil castle about a year ago.  (the supposed birth place of Arthur) :D

I seem to remember a very mystical looking cave under the castle. Has anyone else been? It’s not a bad day trip.  :se

Tommy  

Nope never been - though i imagine i will one of these days...

• 1 month later...

This is your one day advanced warning of Arthur: King of the Britons  :D

Sunday BBC1: 7.25

:su

Tommy

:sk

You mean to say 'Merlin's cave' underneath the old castle? I went there a few years ago and just sat underneath in that cave it was one of the most peaceful places I had ever been ... as I sat there something was dropped in my lap... a piece of blue grey rectangular shaped stone... I still have it now and everytime I hold it I can see that cave, and feel it's peacefulness.

Tommy - did you see it, it was a good program wasn't it?

Celtic, I’m glad you know where I’m talking about. It did look very peaceful there.  :se

PS, I managed to see most of the programme… ::) Of course when the TV guide says 7.25, it actually meant 7.10.   :P

It was quite an interesting watch.  It examined the information we know about Arthur, and how truthful it all is.  

Here’s the programmes web page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/arthur/index.shtml

It talks about how we first hear of this great king of Britain in a 12th-century book, The History Of The Kings Of Britain, written by Geoffrey of Monmouth.  

However besides this, very few written references were ever made of a Great king called Arthur.   The programme suggests that the writers of the day might have referred to him as ‘Riothamus’, meaning supreme or high king, who was a real historical figure.

The other interesting thing the programme suggested was that Camelot could be on ‘Cadbury Hill’ in Somerset,  :D which is very close to two villages, West Camel and Queen Camel.  Arthur might have even been buried in Glastonbury Tor.

(I’m going to Somerset next weekend to visit the relatives, so I might pop into Glastonbury and check it out.)  :su  

What I didn’t realise, was that the sword in the stone wasn’t Excalibur.  :s8

Tommy

:D

sorry i wasn't making sense, what i mean to say was, yep i saw it - wasn't it good.

btw ta for the spelling of Riothamus, i was trying to work it out from the pronouncation.

I found the program compelling and rooted in fact, avoiding the pitfalls of the 'romantic' vision of Arthur. and it has infact done much to prove he was a real person.

Admitedly there was a lot of filler at the beginning with the fancy graphics (materialising tables et al), but it got better as it went on - i was worried that fancy graphics = no content, but i was wrong.

A great bit of TV.

And to think, I only wanted to watch it for the fancy graphics!  :s04

But yep, it convinced me that there is more truth to the legend than I had previously thought.  :sh

Tommy

8)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics from my travels to Glastonbury.  :st

Glastonbury Abbey (Arthur's tomb is centre left.)

Close up of the Tomb inscription

"In the year 1191, the bodies of King Arthur and his Queen were said to have been found on the south side of the Lady chapel.  On 19th April, 1278, their remains were removed in the presence of King Edward I and Queen Eleanor to a black marble tomb on this site.  This tomb survived until the dissolution of the Abbey in 1539."

Glastonbury Tor This pic is not quite straight because I had just scaled the deceptively massive hill, and was a little tired to aim the camera right.  :s04

Here's a link about the Tor

Tommy

8)

Excellent photos Tommy!  I guess we have our resident photographer now.  Our 'man on the scene' as it were!   8)

lol, not quite KC  :s04

It was fun Homer.  :s03

Passed Stonehenge on the way back as well.  :se