Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A sudden recall of very old dreams

nisheeth

Hi,

I am 30 years old. A few months ago I experienced something that really surprised me a lot. I have tried a lot how to explain it but I fail. I am wondering if someone has experienced the same.

The thing is, a few months back, all of a sudden I started recalling some very old dreams (while awake), including dreams from my childhood when I used to live in a hilly village. Without any feedback from my current surroundings, without any apparent reason and at any point of time during the day all of a sudden I would start remembering some dream I had years ago. This happened with so frequently and so automatically that I was really shocked. Practically all of those dreams I had completely forgotten years ago, none of them haunted me nor appeared in conscious memory because of being interesting, until this process started around January this year. Practically none of was a nightmare either. And I am in good health, had no injury nor do I take any drugs. A I can say that I must have recalled automatically at least several hundred dreams most of which were at least 15 to 20 years old.

Has it happened with any of you guys? Did you find any reasonable explanation?

Edited by nisheeth
  • Like 4

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Wish I could help on this one, but I see no explaination why you would recall something from so deep in your memory.

Have you been writing these down? Perhaps there are common threads or storylines in these dreams which your subconscious has registered a common significance with at this time.

Also, what was your state of mind while you were dreaming these dreams 15 to 20 years ago? They must have caused you to wonder about them on some level at that time.

I remember most of my dreams but then I always have and don't as a rule forget them for years and then suddenly re-remember them so

I can't offer an explanation of why this has occurred so dramatically for you.

All I can offer to help is the suggestion to document both the dreams and any thoughts that spring to mind about the dreams while you are remembering, then finally any thoughts that you can recall having all those years ago about these dreams.

Once that's done review as best as possible your family, social, economic, work and emotional conditions at the times in your life you originally had each dream.

I know it's alot of work and I can't honestly say I am not that dilligent myself but your situation is unique enough that I strongly feel you will benefit from what you discover.

Your subconscious is certainly being persistent with you about this after all ....

• Like 3

Have you been writing these down? Perhaps there are common threads or storylines in these dreams which your subconscious has registered a common significance with at this time.

Also, what was your state of mind while you were dreaming these dreams 15 to 20 years ago? They must have caused you to wonder about them on some level at that time.

I remember most of my dreams but then I always have and don't as a rule forget them for years and then suddenly re-remember them so

I can't offer an explanation of why this has occurred so dramatically for you.

All I can offer to help is the suggestion to document both the dreams and any thoughts that spring to mind about the dreams while you are remembering, then finally any thoughts that you can recall having all those years ago about these dreams.

Once that's done review as best as possible your family, social, economic, work and emotional conditions at the times in your life you originally had each dream.

I know it's alot of work and I can't honestly say I am not that dilligent myself but your situation is unique enough that I strongly feel you will benefit from what you discover.

Your subconscious is certainly being persistent with you about this after all ....

Well, I have never tried to keep a record of dreams and all those dreams were not really remarkable (I mean all dreams are fantastic but there was nothing in those old dreams that would make me remember them). Only once I maintained a journal of out of body experiences, but unfortunately even that I have lost. I had just a couple of entries in soft copy on my laptop, which I posted on another thread.

Maybe you are right about the "subconscious persisting" because I had thought that I was done with out-of-body experiences but just last night I once again "almost" went out of body, I couldn't separate from the physical frame completely though. Maybe I need some practice.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, but frankly I am very lazy when it comes to writing down things.

Well, I have never tried to keep a record of dreams and all those dreams were not really remarkable (I mean all dreams are fantastic but there was nothing in those old dreams that would make me remember them). Only once I maintained a journal of out of body experiences, but unfortunately even that I have lost. I had just a couple of entries in soft copy on my laptop, which I posted on another thread.

Maybe you are right about the "subconscious persisting" because I had thought that I was done with out-of-body experiences but just last night I once again "almost" went out of body, I couldn't separate from the physical frame completely though. Maybe I need some practice.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, but frankly I am very lazy when it comes to writing down things.

Fair enough, I'm lazy when keeping a diary also. I tend to find though that I really don't need to in the end. My memories of my dreams are often as real to me as memories of my experiences in my waking life anyway, especially as I have spent so much time working through them.

I guess the only other thing I can offer if you are not inclined to keep a journal is to reflect on these old dreams when they come up and you will probably figure out why they suddenly mean something to you again now quite naturally and easily. Also, I meditate and have done for nine years with a group and have the added benefit of having practised self observation pretty intensely due to the instruction I have been given, that has been more help than I can ever tell you in becoming comfortable with some of the things that crop up both in my dreams and my waking life.

It sounds like you are poised for some sort of an awakening. I would take the sugestion of writting everything down. There is a reason why this is all surfaceing. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nisheeth, are you still around. This exact thing is happening to me. I think I may have a good idea what is happening here.

I haven't hardly dreamt in over a decade. Suddenly, 5 months ago, I started remembering old, old dreams while I was awake. It was slow at first, then it increased and continued to increase until one evening it exploded; I was relaxing, then BAM: they just came pooring in. I literally wen't through thirty dreams from throughout my entire life. I'm astonished. It felt so amazing, even though some of the dreams weren't exactly pleasent when I originally had them.

I hope your still around. I need to ask you a few questions.

• Like 1

Ohhh, Awesome Topic, Thanks :)

This Happened A Few Times To Me Too .. And I Start Giggling When It Does Coz I Think It's Quite Amusing .. Tho Why This Happens I Can't Explain .. I Even Got Flashes Of Dreams As I Had As A Child .. I've Never Written Any Dreams Down Or Anything, They Just Seem To Flash Before My Eyes Randomly .. I Tried To Make Sense Of Them, Like, They Must Be Coming Back To Maybe Warn Me Of Something, Or Point Something Out To Me, Or To Suggest Something .. Actually I Almost Expect Them To .. However, I Could Never Find Any Connection .. I Thought They Will Maybe Make Sense Later, But They Go As They Come .. I Seem To Forget Them Pretty Soon .. So I'd Also Like To Find Out What's The Reason For All Of This ..

• Like 1

I get this happening a lot too, almost everyday.

They come and go very quick for me, almost like the sense when someone experiences deja vu. I just get a quick flash or "scene" from the dream and then it's gone again, but I know they are old dreams, some going back to when I was a kid,

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 3

Suddenly, 5 months ago, I started remembering old, old dreams while I was awake. It was slow at first, then it increased and continued to increase until one evening it exploded; I was relaxing, then BAM: they just came pooring in. I literally wen't through thirty dreams from throughout my entire life. I'm astonished. It felt so amazing, even though some of the dreams weren't exactly pleasent when I originally had them.

That sounds amazing. Like your life flashing before your eyes, but your dream life, in a way.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes an inconspicuos thing like a sound or some part of an image or perhaps a word spoken in a certain tone can ellicit memories of dreams long ago.

It has happened to me and I just brush it off as irrelevant simply because any memory can be brought out by something very insignifigant. I'm not necessarily saying you should write it off..just speaking from my own standpoint.

Maybe you are experiencing some changes in your life? Maybe there are certain circumstances that resemble a situation in the past perhaps? Maybe a shift in your thinking or personal philosophy?

• 10 months later...

This has been happening to me for many many years. Since I was a kid. During the day, I will have sort of a "deja vu " type of moment but its much stronger and for a few seconds to a minute ill be frozen and memories of a dream will be moving a million miles an hour in my head. As I got older, though, I started to realize that if I was listening to someone talk, or in the middle of some action perhaps like simply walking across the room to grab anlittle object, if my mouth could move faster than my "memories" I would be able to tell you exactly what that person was going to say or do before they did it. I told my bf about it and he thought I was nuts until one time I was able to say it before the person did it one time. You all may think I'm nuts which I kinda do too but its real. I tried to ignore it and pass it off as nothing but it happens several times a day now. I never talked about this before except to my bf. He didn't used to believe me and now he does. Its like I will dream something and then my subconscious will link it to reality and make me very aware of it. I just take it as a reminder that I'm on the right path. Yeah I know...its weird lol

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have been experiencing the same thing for the past two years. I am a 32 y.o. male.

I have observed that the recall occurs in short periods (approx. 2 month windows) that occur intermittently. It is not a constant experience for me.

When I recall old dreams (ROD) it occurs instantly and without any triggers (that are apparent to me anyway). It can happen anywhere and the recall is instantaneous. I do not experience the recall in a sequential fashion like the dreaming process.

Each dream i recall is like one concept that I understand instantly. It is generally identifiable to me by the unique imagery that I associated with the dream when it occurred. I would guess I am recalling the portions of the dream I have committed to memory which may subjectively be the memorable qualities or aspects of the dream which occurred to me when I dreamt it. However, that is not to say these dreams are subjectively valuable to me.

It is worth nothing that, to date, these dreams have held no personally profound significance in terms of their imagery or my subjective experience of them.

Also, these dreams stretch as far back as childhood in terms of origin.

• Like 2

^same.

It hits me instantly without any triggers. I had one about 4 nights ago while jogging in a boring area/the same area I've been going to for awhile now. So I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything that triggered it. So I'm not sure why they pop into my head and they aren't dreams that I would even consider memorable. I write down my dreams and date them so I can also see if maybe patterns form so I should maybe see if some of these flashbacks are timed closely to when I write them down(like maybe years later around the date). Problem is though half the time they are just dull dreams and I don't bother writing them.

I know it might sound strange to think patterns might occur but I noticed this once with a black snake dream. I might as well post it here to show what I mean. This is taken from my dream journal but I've probably posted it here somewhere.

24th Nov 2007

I dreamt last night that I was somewhere and I grabbed a very large black snake by the back of its head. The snake was about 2meters long and it was just huge.. I grabbed its head so it couldnt bite me and it was getting really annoyed and angry and it wasnt very happy at all. lol. Anyway I was worried because it was going crazy and showing its fangs and stuff, and it really wanted to bite me but I couldnt put it down because then it could. I think I did drop it(or thrown it) after awhile though because I remember seeing it on the floor again and I was thinking how I had to grab it again otherwise I would lose it in my house.. and then I'd have to actually search for it. Which I knew was more risky so I went to go grab it again because I would rather try grab it when its an easy place to get. But I dont really remember much more.. mainly just holding onto it and seeing its massive head getting all fat and angry looking. It was pretty freaky.

27th November 2009

I dreamt last night of a very large black python looking snake that was inside a small glass aquarium which was way to small for the snake. I couldnt get the lid back on to cover my pet snake when I was about to go to sleep and I didnt want to leave the snake to just wander around while I was sleeping because I thought it was dangerous and that I might wake up with it around my neck or something(it was big enough to scare me like that).

So I reached in and grabbed it behind its head so that it couldnt bite me(which is odd for me because Ive never done that in real life or even got close to a snake like that).

Anyway so it turned to bite my hand like in one of my other dreams with a snake but this time I moved my grip up higher behind its head so it couldnt twist enough to sink its fangs into my hand. It's fangs were pretty big and I knew it wasnt poisonious but that its bite would hurt anyway so I wasnt too keen in letting it go. I was wondering where to put it and I was wondering how to let go of it without it turning to bite me. It was pretty angry by that stage and was showing its fangs heaps. It reminded me of the black sea snakes I dreamt of once when I was much younger.. it looked the same but this one was actually my pet. Anyway so I just walked around trying to figure out what to do next but I dont remember anymore, just thinking well I have it now, now what do I do with it.

I also noticed one of the snakes eyes was leaking what looked like black ink, it looked like the snake had been pushed along a grey wall and there was an ink stain/streak that had come from his right eye I think it was. I was worried for him because I thought maybe he was hurt because it looked like his blood. And I was hoping as I was holding him that the eye would be ok.

So it was like the snake was used to write on the wall with its eye but I mainly just remember making sure he wasnt going to bite me and that I couldnt trust to go to sleep with him getting free.

And if I was to describe the writing it was arabic. It was like snake writing and I knew it was writing but I couldnt read it because it looked like running writing and there was a long curved line which I somewhat recognised but I didnt focus on trying to read the writing cause I knew I didnt know the language.

*The next day I picked out only one symbol of what I thought was written on the wall and it was the arabic letter nun.

*In the dream from 2009 I actually remembered later in the day writing on the wall with the snake. So I wrote with it but I wasn't really very aware during that stage(like it wasn't me). And out of all the Arabic letters I could've picked I chose nun. (Nun is thought to have come from a pictogram of a snake (the Hebrew word for snake, nachash begins with a Nun and snake in Aramaic is nun) or eel. ).

Anyway so these dreams were around a certain date and so I think maybe the memories(flashbacks) could be.

Edited by Kazahel

• 5 months later...

I am a 55 year old female and this happens to me most nights as I am drifting off to sleep. I suddenly remember dreams that I had, sometimes as far back when I was a kid. Sometimes they are more recent but they all seem to be dreams that I had more than 5 years ago. They are not unpleasant dreams, more like just random thoughts the strange thing is I never recall recent dreams & I can never remember what I dreamed the night before. I wondered if it was an age related thing i.e remembering things that happened years ago but not being able to things that happened recently but as much younger people have posted similar experiences I guess this is not the case!

• Like 1

This has been happening to me for many many years. Since I was a kid. During the day, I will have sort of a "deja vu " type of moment but its much stronger and for a few seconds to a minute ill be frozen and memories of a dream will be moving a million miles an hour in my head. As I got older, though, I started to realize that if I was listening to someone talk, or in the middle of some action perhaps like simply walking across the room to grab anlittle object, if my mouth could move faster than my "memories" I would be able to tell you exactly what that person was going to say or do before they did it. I told my bf about it and he thought I was nuts until one time I was able to say it before the person did it one time. You all may think I'm nuts which I kinda do too but its real. I tried to ignore it and pass it off as nothing but it happens several times a day now. I never talked about this before except to my bf. He didn't used to believe me and now he does. Its like I will dream something and then my subconscious will link it to reality and make me very aware of it. I just take it as a reminder that I'm on the right path. Yeah I know...its weird lol

Exact same thing for me. I thought it was deja vu when I was younger but then when other people described their deja vu I realized that I was having a different experience. I can predict things about a second or so before they happen but only for about 30 secs to a min. when I'm in this "mode" then it fades away. Anyway, good to know I'm not the only one who experiences this.

• 11 months later...

I got this situation in a week characterized with the following:

• Super stress at work,
  • Sleeping about 5 to 6 hours per day.
  • Very hot weather
  • Bad nutrition and using caffeinated (much) and energy drinks (seldom).

Not sure which ones are the direct cause, but seems to me the brain is not holding well memories, cause memories are being triggered with non matching cues.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to write these down so you do not forget them. I believe that there are lessons to be learned from dreams and its up to you to figure out how they apply to your life. I still remember a dream I had when I was still an infant in the crib.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just lately while sitting and working at my desk I get sudden recall of aromas from the past childhood. Just for a split second or two. - Grandma's cologne perfume, baker-light toys smell of sand at the beach, etc, - all from many years ago and apparently forgotten. These have attached vivid memories. I remember exactly all those natural non-petrochemical aromas! Are these micro memories being lost from memory and just giving one final gasp before they die forever? Am I slowly losing my mind maybe?

• Like 1

Hi,

Just lately while sitting and working at my desk I get sudden recall of aromas from the past childhood. Just for a split second or two. - Grandma's cologne perfume, baker-light toys smell of sand at the beach, etc, - all from many years ago and apparently forgotten. These have attached vivid memories. I remember exactly all those natural non-petrochemical aromas! Are these micro memories being lost from memory and just giving one final gasp before they die forever? Am I slowly losing my mind maybe?

The olfactory sense is the sense with the best memory capacity, so you are ok.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have experienced this since I was a little girl. I was not able to find anything about it or anything about anybody who experienced the same thing until in recent years when things started to surface on the internet. Surprisingly, most info I seem to be able to find about it indicates that these episodes may be a type of seizure. I've never had any seizures in the classic sense that most people associate with the word seizure so this is surprising to me. But the fact that I've had these since I was very young and they haven't really increased in number or frequency keeps me from being too worried that I am in danger of any serious health problems.

• Like 1

My personal experience was when I woke up looking for my Ipad only to realise that it was a memory of a dream I had about using my Ipad when I never had one in the first place, the strange thing was I didn't even remember the dream about owning an Ipad before having that dream about wondering where my Ipad was ~

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am a women of 30 years and I too am getting this phenomena as of late. It started in January when I was preparing for my wedding and all these memories of dreams came flooding back. The first one I was able to relate to the wedding. I was preparing my wedding in this dream from when I was like 10ish. I really think my dreams from when I was a kid were my future. But then one by one more and more dreams came flooding back. Even ones that I can't relate to anything at this point in time in my life. Yesterday I had 3 dreams all in a row flash before my eyes, I remember them like I dreamt them last night. I am very curious as to what this is all about as remembering dreams isn't unstrange for me as every now and then I will recall a dream, but not like this. This is something else. I feel as though I could almost relate a tiny bit of each dream to my life now or possible future. One dream that came flooding back from when I was a child, I could swear that my husband and my step son were in it (who I never knew existed back when I had the dream and they were only strangers in the dream at the time). Another one of this little girl who I always thought was me but could this be my future daughter? My husband was talking about buying a boat recently and a few days later this very old dream (again from a child) flashed through and I clearly had a boat. But like I said some of these old dreams I can't relate anything to at all, I just remember them being vivid dreams and that's that. It is just weird how all of a sudden I am being bomb barded with them all. It is an amazing feeling. I am interested in this awakening thing someone mentioned a few posts above. Might look into that. Anyways this isn't normally my thing writing on forums but this has really made me want to investigate a little more (hence why I'm writing this). Look forward to hearing from the next people that this happens to when they Google their experience and find this forum. I'll be waiting. Cheers Madz x

• 2 months later...

Um, hi. I'm sixteen and new to this site but i was looking up why i could remember dreams from primary school starting

from the age of five and why in some dreams i can decide stuff but other times i decide to live it and feel it, like another life.

i came to here and thought it was very interesting that you forgot but then remembered suddenly in torrents.

What is it called when you never forget your dreams?

They also all have things in common like I always have children a year or two younger to look after, we're always running away from

something or someone and i'm always in some kind of dangerous situation that I half fear and half adore because of the feeling i

get from it.

It happens a lot in the day too.

is this normal?