Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Karlis

Is America’s oldest house haunted?

31 posts in this topic

Fairbanks House -- the oldest timber frame house in America, lived in for generations by the same family and lovingly kept just as it was in its early Colonial days. The house in Dedham, Massachusetts, was built between 1637 and 1641 by English settlers Jonathan and Grace Fairbanks.Today the house is a museum, but it could very well one of the most haunted houses in America.arrow3.gifRead more...

i have'nt heard of this house,but it looks like an interesting place.thanks for posting it.

They say that the Sparrow house here in Plymouth is haunted as well (built about the same time as the Fairbanks house). There are also claims that the Sun Tavern in Duxbury is haunted (it was built in the early 1700s). I've eaten there, didn't have any experiences though. Many old houses have rumours of hauntings attached to them it seems.

The sheer amount of time that they have been around with so many families passing through it's doors, living and dying there leads me to believe the odds are good to have some kind of experience.

I'm pretty sure its haunted, its been around long enough, but I would be very suprised if its not haunted.

My house is a hundred years older than the Fairbanks one and I'm assured it has it's full quota of ghosts.

Also, a newly-installed alarm system went off every night for several weeks with the alarm company unable to offer an explanation.

Anyone who's worked with alarms knows that's not exactly unusual......

My house is a hundred years older than the Fairbanks one and I'm assured it has it's full quota of ghosts.

Have you had any personal experiences?

why would they hear children playing unless children died in the home, also if anyone would be haunting it wouldn't it be that guy who was hanged for murdering his girlfriend.

the oldest continually occupied brick house in America is on Jamestown Island, Jamestown NHP Virginia. It is haunted, and very close to the site of the massacre spot. Spirits tend to go to structures that are familiar to them. They also go to what is available closest to where they are, so the chances of that house being haunted is very high.

Have you had any personal experiences?

Not personally, but my youngest granddaughter, Tatyana (aged 4) seems to have had contact with one of 'my' apparitions - what is referred to in old records as a 'ragged boy'. Neither of my dogs will enter one of my out-houses.

My link

My nephew claims his 2 yr. daughter was talking in bed one night and he heard her say Grandma. My nephew's mother passed away a few years before his daughter was born. I think young children see things that adults don't.

Legand has it that the Corwin House in Salem is haunted, because one of the "witches" hanged in 1692 put a curse on Sheriff John Corwin when he put the noose around her neck. Supposedly she cursed him to death and he died in that house choking on his own bloood--and this curse has also done in other sheriffs in Salem over the years.

I would be surprised if it wasn't haunted.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's automatically haunted. In my experience, old or new buildings, doesn't matter. Been through old mining towns and investigated very old buildings with many many deaths in their history that are factual deaths mind you, and they weren't haunted.

There are no such thing as Ghosts....*facepalms* I suppose you all believe in Jesus, Santa and the boogie man as well?

There are no such thing as Ghosts....*facepalms* I suppose you all believe in Jesus, Santa and the boogie man as well?

Many people believe in Jesus (not so much with Santa and the boogie man). As for ghosts, it has yet to be determined exactly what people are experiencing regarding hauntings. This forum is for the discussion of hauntings and the paranormal. If you think such is all just nonsense that's fine, but please don't denigrate those who might have differing opinions.

Many people believe in Jesus (not so much with Santa and the boogie man). As for ghosts, it has yet to be determined exactly what people are experiencing regarding hauntings. This forum is for the discussion of hauntings and the paranormal. If you think such is all just nonsense that's fine, but please don't denigrate those who might have differing opinions.

:tu:

I tell you what Jaygatz, you spend a night, alone, at any one of a number of places featured on this website, and I guarantee you will change your mind. As an amateur ghost hunter and avid student of the paranormal, I was sceptical as well, until I'd been on a few investigations. I now know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that certain types of spectral phenomena ARE real. But if you really don't believe, try out The Stevens Hotel, or the old Boise State Pen in Idaho, maybe Waverly Hills Sanitorium. There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Jaygatz, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (thanks Shakespeare)

What I find most interesting, is that there are houses at Stone Mountain Park in Georgia from over 100 years later. Yet, they still look very much the same on the inside.

I would actually like to try that, staying at one of these semi-famous haunted places with cameras and night vision

I tell you what Jaygatz, you spend a night, alone, at any one of a number of places featured on this website, and I guarantee you will change your mind. As an amateur ghost hunter and avid student of the paranormal, I was sceptical as well, until I'd been on a few investigations. I now know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that certain types of spectral phenomena ARE real. But if you really don't believe, try out The Stevens Hotel, or the old Boise State Pen in Idaho, maybe Waverly Hills Sanitorium. There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Jaygatz, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (thanks Shakespeare)

I always laugh when people create the assumption that Old = Haunted.

Age has nothing less to do than location and geology and energy.

Take for example the Native American graves here which have persisted before Moses and up until the Native Americans were booted out of their land. Some places here will give you nightmares and some places are as peaceful as a dove. Age has nothing to do with it ... yet that is just my "experienced" opinion.

Old houses just look creepy. Try spending a week in the middle of a burial ground thousands of years old. Some of these burials will bring nothing. The other places ... they will not let you sleep without one eye open.

Posted (edited)

'There’s always been weird things happening in the house, from the doorbell going off a million times to flashlights never working.'

He added that there are sometimes footsteps heard on the stairs when no one is there. Also, a newly-installed alarm system went off every night for several weeks with the alarm company unable to offer an explanation.

I would think it's haunted if I stayed a few nights and none of those things happened :w00t: We're talkin' about America's oldest house here. I would be more worried about the structural integrity.

Edited by Venonat

Perhaps you should try spending a night in one of ealdwita's haunted outhouses. Even if you don't see a ghost, you'll be crying for Jesus in the morning!