Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the weight of the human soul ?

UM-Bot

Jay Alfred: The idea of a material soul is not new. The Greek philosopher, Heraclitus, who lived in the sixth century BC, thought that the soul was composed of an unusually fine or rare kind of matter, such as air or fire. However, if it was material it had to have some weight. Barbara Brennan, former NASA engineer and now world-renowned energy healer, observes that ‘aura’ appears to have weight. Robert Monroe also believes that the ‘Second Body’ has weight, although much less than the carbon-based body. (The terms ‘aura’, ‘astral body’ and the ‘Second Body’ refer to what is generally described as the ‘subtle body’ in the metaphysical literature. The subtle body has often been loosely identified as the ‘soul’.)

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Jay Alfred: The idea of a material soul is not new. The Greek philosopher, Heraclitus, who lived in the sixth century BC, thought that the soul was composed of an unusually fine or rare kind of matter, such as air or fire. However, if it was material it had to have some weight. Barbara Brennan, former NASA engineer and now world-renowned energy healer, observes that aura appears to have weight. Robert Monroe also believes that the Second Body has weight, although much less than the carbon-based body. (The terms aura, astral body and the Second Body refer to what is generally described as the subtle body in the metaphysical literature. The subtle body has often been loosely identified as the soul.)

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Great article. It begs a question which will

a) Open a can of worms

B) Solve a crucial issue in modern society

- As distasteful as this sounds these experiments could be repeated on aborted foetuses at various stages before and after they expire. (I am not suggesting aborting for the purpose of the experiment of course, but collecting data from the abortions currently taking place anyway).

I am not specifically for or against abortion but that is because I don't pretend to know the facts. This would do alot to shed some light on a highly sensitive subject for all concerned.

I do intrinsically hold life as sacred though and I think if we are willing to spend billions on a Hadron Collider to find a particle, we should consider the value of spending a decent effort and funds on finding out the truth about conception and at what point a foetus becomes a conscious being or a life, it would just change everything and allow for more informed decisions by everyone in a super sensitive field.

Edited by libstaK

Great article. It begs a question which will

a) Open a can of worms

B) Solve a crucial issue in modern society

- As distasteful as this sounds these experiments could be repeated on aborted foetuses at various stages before and after they expire. (I am not suggesting aborting for the purpose of the experiment of course, but collecting data from the abortions currently taking place anyway).

I am not specifically for or against abortion but that is because I don't pretend to know the facts. This would do alot to shed some light on a highly sensitive subject for all concerned.

I do intrinsically hold life as sacred though and I think if we are willing to spend billions on a Hadron Collider to find a particle, we should consider the value of spending a decent effort and funds on finding out the truth about conception and at what point a foetus becomes a conscious being or a life, it would just change everything and allow for more informed decisions by everyone in a super sensitive field.

Why can't they just weigh the pregnant mother before/after the abortion and subtract the weight of the fetus from the original weight?

Anyways, I've heard of this before. It seems strange that the soul would have a physical weight but this could have interesting implications.

If the soul has weight, then it's material.

Might want to think about that for a while.

• Like 1

i would think the soul as a form of energy(living energy), thus to measure it you would use volume.

Edited by danielost

If the soul has weight, then it's material.

Might want to think about that for a while.

There could be more to it than that.

Perhaps the soul is immaterial, but the way it manifests itself in a physical vessel creates a certain something to/throughout the body.

Or you could think about it in the way of this analogy:

A human teenager is not a piece of virtual data, yet plays a character that represents himself in a video game. A character that is a piece of virtual data.

Perhaps the soul is immaterial, but the way it manifests itself in a physical vessel creates a certain something to/throughout the body.

A human teenager is not a piece of virtual data, yet plays a character that represents himself in a video game. A character that is a piece of virtual data.

we could be virtual data, if we were how could we tell.

also would it matter if we were.

Edited by danielost

i would think the soul as a form of energy(living energy), thus to measure it you would use volume.

The basis of the experiments in the article are that the soul has mass

Quote: "If the soul has weight, it means it has mass and is subject to Earth's gravitational force."

Also: "The weight of the soul, based on the average loss of mass in six patients, was measured by McDougall to be 21grams".

Also: "The challenge before us now is to figure out exactly what the mass of the soul is composed of ... we are inclined to believe it is a form of energy. But our attempt to identify this energy have been unsuccessful to date".

Read the article again towards the last 2 paragraphs where it postulates a "dark plasma theory".

cheers

we could be virtual data, if we were how could we tell.

also would it matter if we were.

LOL. Wake up Neo. The Matrix has you :devil:

Volume?

As in Mass / Density = Volume?

Which immediately ceases to be at the moment of Death?

My money, to be honest, if they really have ruled out the air in the lungs (though goodness knows how), is on the metabolism still converting food into energy.

Information doesn't have mass.

Volume?

As in Mass / Density = Volume?

as in volume of a gas. a volume of gas has wieght.

Edited by danielost

My money, to be honest, if they really have ruled out the air in the lungs (though goodness knows how), is on the metabolism still converting food into energy.

there is going to be air in the lungs, just not under pressure. unless they become vacuums upon death.

Yes. Think about it.

I won't lie those is probably more likely. But that can't account for the consistent weight of the 'soul'.

Exactly my point! Yet something that does have mass manifests itself in information.

The soul thing could be vice versa in a way, except the digital part.

Edited by Thesantanafan

Yes. Think about it.

Unless this the only instance in Physics where matter is instantaneously destroyed - what does the mass transform into?

I won't lie those is probably more likely. But that can't account for the consistent weight of the 'soul'.

Well, if the adults were approximately the same size at time of death - then it would.

Exactly my point! Yet something that does have mass manifests itself in information.

The soul thing could be vice versa in a way, except the digital part.

The classical explanation for the soul is that of radiowaves and radio transmitter. By locating the soul physically within the body, it's subject to physical enquiry - and if it's there, it hasn't been found, yet.

Unless this the only instance in Physics where matter is instantaneously destroyed - what does the mass transform into?

Once that connection to the ethereal world is severed, perhaps that physical soul residue disperses.

Perhaps souls behave in the event of death as matter does upon entering a black hole, the matter wouldn't be destroyed but dispersed in a less perceptible way that would account for the loss of weight.

Well, if the adults were approximately the same size at time of death - then it would.

First of all, you can't assume something like them all being the same size. And even so, metabolism varies alot between people.

As for lungs... One person could have had a worse respiratory condition than the other. They might not have had as much air to exhale. What if one was a smoker?

The classical explanation for the soul is that of radiowaves and radio transmitter. By locating the soul physically within the body, it's subject to physical enquiry - and if it's there, it hasn't been found, yet.

That doesn't sound right to me, actually. I have a different concept in mind for what a soul could be, but it's hard to explain. The closest I can come is the digital information analogy, which only serves to nudge you in the direction of the mindset that I am trying to communicate.

Darn, if only I was telepathic...

:)like to weight single file when it is transferred in wireless. Also like to know the weigh of single thought!

The soul is metaphysical thus it is immeasurable with our limitations of measurements. It would be like attempting to measure "gravitons". It's all in theory but it is not definitive.

:)like to weight single file when it is transferred in wireless. Also like to know the weigh of single thought!

a file is not moved when transferred it is merely copied and sent.

a file is not moved when transferred it is merely copied and sent.

sent means moved to other place, if u don't want a copy, then cut and paste.

Even if you cut and paste the data it is still in the original place on the original disk, it just has a '?' in front of it which means the space is free to be overwritten.

The data is always copied and pasted. The difference is only that little '?'.

what your aiming for in this case, is the removal of the electricity from the computer.

I am more concerned in what getting passed to other.. the package moved in air. The Ones and Zeros

I am more concerned in what getting passed to other.. the package moved in air. The Ones and Zeros

i understand that. but without a soul the body is dead and without electricty the computer is dead

Yes right, But when we check the digital current, it also work in same way when you trigger One it works and when you trigger Zero it dead. Everything is electric.