Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BlackCurtains

Fluffy Winged Insect

7 posts in this topic

This isn't very exciting but it's still an unknown animal encounter (or insect encounter) and after yet another failed attempt at finding info online, I thought I'd ask here.

Several years ago, 2004-ish maybe, I was living in South Carolina. I was outside (can't remember the season, not winter) and I saw a small piece of fluff in the air close to the ground. It moved oddly so I got a closer look and it was a small baby blue insect with white fluffy wings. Not like insect wings at all. It actually landed on my arm and if I had just cupped my hand over it, it wouldn't have remained a mystery for this long. But I was so taken by it's color and wings that I just stared at it. It took off again and I lost it against the sky.

I had never seen one before or after that, and I can't find anything resembling it using various insect ID tools. Typing "blue insect fluffy wings" into Google doesn't yield much either. I know my insects well enough, and this wasn't a butterfly or moth, bee, fly, or beetle. Well, maybe it was a fly. But its wings were not membranes like normal fly wings.

It was tiny though. My memory has probably scrambled details, but I'm sure it was smaller than half an inch. Baby blue, like a robin's egg. It had thin black stripes or black tips to its legs. Its wings honestly looked like fine down feathers, pure white.

Are there any entomologists in the house? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Every once in a while I remember it and do another internet search, this time was no different. I can find nothing.

Posted (edited)

the first picture on this site kinda reminds me of what you're talking about.

http://www.simplegif...te-insects.html

Wouldn't hurt to research a bit about (wooly) aphids and see if that might have been what you saw that day..

Taken from the site...

"it is very small about 1/2 cm. it has small clear wings with slight black lines and its abdomine is a white/light blue color and its furry "

Edited by rassy

Posted (edited)

Were the wings fluffy, like a piece of cotton... furry, with tiny hairs on the wings.... or lacy, with very fine wings that looked wispy?

I found this about the fulgorid-planthopper

110522.jpg

though I think this particular insect is from Brazil. That does not mean you could not see one in the US however.

Edited by DieChecker

Interesting i enjoy identifying insects however nothing comes to mind when readin this description i don't think it could be a damselfly cause that would be obvious and wings like a feather hmmm what if they were just feathers ssomehow that clipped off of a bird that tried to snatch it. There aren't a whole lot of insects that are babyblue only two that come to mind would be a weevil or a damselfly. Sorry i couldn't be much of help interesting tale tho. :)

I know exactly what you mean and i have seen alot of them here in Holland, I'm almost positive you mean the insect that rassy posted? That's what i've seen alot around here, they look really weird indeed.

the first picture on this site kinda reminds me of what you're talking about.

http://www.simplegif...te-insects.html

Wouldn't hurt to research a bit about (wooly) aphids and see if that might have been what you saw that day..

Taken from the site...

"it is very small about 1/2 cm. it has small clear wings with slight black lines and its abdomine is a white/light blue color and its furry "

An aphid! :o

Dude, I think that's what I saw. After looking up wooly aphids they sure do fit the description. They do have regular wings, but I probably just didn't see them. But the color, and the fluffiness. That has to be it. I found this too:

"This aphid is originally from Asia; however since its introduction to the US it has been documented in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee and Texas."

It never EVER occurred to me that it might be an aphid. Wow. THANK YOU. I feel I should give you something *cookies* :lol:

oo I really like cookies!!

thanks!!!

hehehe :)