Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you currently reading?

kmt_sesh

On a closing note, I see you're also a fan of Patricia Cornwell. I am as well, though I think my enjoyment of her Scarpetta novels has waned a wee bit through the years. LOL One can't help but notice the personal turmoil almost every main character has been suffering throughout the course of the last several novels, to the point that everyone is depressed and conflicted. I haven't read the latest Scarpetta novel yet but certainly will, sooner rather than later. Maybe they're all on Prozac now and are feeling better about life. Right? :rolleyes:

LOL, we're on the same page. I haven't been as eager to read her books over the past several years either. Maybe she should have taken a page out of Clancy's playbook, i.e., the Jack Ryan character, and limited Scarpetta to only a few books instead of what - 10 or 11? ^_^

1st thing - have you read those 5 non-fiction books (which you label as fantasy novels)? if No, at least, have you read a synopsis of those books? referencer to the 5 books are available in Wikipedia and amazon. have you read those at least???

I remain confused about that myself, Spartan. I have to wonder if both The World Has Gone Insane and MMars misunderstood your nonfiction selections. I myself own copies of and have read the first two in your list (Who Wrote the Bible and The Bible Unearthed), and enjoyed them both very much. I can state flat out that I do not read nor have any interest in fantasy novels, so I don't understand how one could lump legitimate works of biblical analyses into that genre.

I must also agree with you that this The Stargate Conspiracy seems like just one more trite fringe contribution, so I don't know what that's about. Of course I should probably mind what I say because I don't want the "west's intelligence agencies" to hunt me down. I'm going to wear my tinfoil hat, to be on the safe side. :w00t:

The movie rights for the Historian were sold to Sony, but it seems to be in development hell, unfortunately.

Her second book was great too - The Swan Thieves, which came out last fall.

That is a shame. Would make a great movie. I remember the first time I read it. My weekend off, I didn't leave the couch at all. Couldn't put it down. Saw the book The Swan Thieves, but haven't read it yet.

I also read Blasphemy which was written by Douglas Preston alone. Very good. Also enjoyed Kate Mosse's Sepulchre and Labrynith.

Just finished reading live wire by Harlan Coben its awesome I love all the books I have read by him so far

Just finished Book of Enoch.

Interesting how Tertulian thinks that Book of Enoch was preserved in Noahs arch. I guess because in part lxiv-lxvii it is written about great flood. Maybe that wrote Noah himself.

Also interesting how many links are between Book of Enoch and New Testament. And Christianity in general.

I liked this book. Especially part where Enoch saw Tree of knowledge good and evil and Tree of life.

I read recently that we found Cups of "terra cocta" ,Hebrews origin, where there were written names of fallen angels from Book og Enoch. That is interesting.

Part vii-xvi wrote about Samjaza and 200 fallen angels, how they choose wife, about ancestors Giants, and advices for humanity about war, weapon,astrology,magic,divinity,astronomy...Some have very precise description. For example how Asaradel thought humanity about Moons movement. I dont see how all Fallen Angels/Watchers were evil since Armers thought humanity how to remove curses.

In part lxxi Enoch divide night and day in 18 parts. Longest day in year, acoording to Enoch, have 12 parts of that 18.

Ratio 12/18 is equal to ratio 16/24 of todays understanding of one day. So my friend told me that Enoch must lived between 45 and 49 latitude where longest day is 16 hours. So it was not in Palestina. Maybe near Caspian sea or Halah and Habor near river Goshen,or in Medas towns.(?)

Word "hanoch" on Hebrew can mean "One who found it."(?)

Is this true?

Edited by the L

Word "hanoch" on Hebrew can mean "One who found it."(?)

Is this true?

Not that I know of. Hanoch is a variant of Enoch, and translates to dedicated.

Not that I know of. Hanoch is a variant of Enoch, and translates to dedicated.

I read it somewhere. Just wasnt sure. Book of Enoch is highly interesting book to me. I recommended to everyone interested in ancient history/mystery.

I have many questions about it. Maybe I started new thread...

Just finished reading live wire by Harlan Coben its awesome I love all the books I have read by him so far

I heard that Cobens book are great. Never read it. Can you give me hint what should I read ?

@all

Can someone recommanded some books about Incas Mayans Aztecs...

Especially Mayans.

Also about ancient Sumer...

Edited by the L

I heard that Cobens book are great. Never read it. Can you give me hint what should I read ?

@all

Can someone recommanded some books about Incas Mayans Aztecs...

Especially Mayans.

Also about ancient Sumer...

Today i'm reading Peanut Butter Jelly Tome by Bill Cosby

Holy cow you can find some books for cheap on Amazon... ordered the rest of Carl Sagan's books I'm missing and a book by martin Gardner on math puzzles for 4 bucks each.

Person's charging just a penny and shipping an' handling.

I am currently reading Jefferson the Virginian. ;)

Just finished Book of Enoch.

Interesting how Tertulian thinks that Book of Enoch was preserved in Noahs arch. I guess because in part lxiv-lxvii it is written about great flood. Maybe that wrote Noah himself.

The Book of Enoch is actually a Canon Christian Book of the Bible of Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The same ones that have the Ark of the Covenant, supposedly, in a small church with one monk guarding it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Orthodox_Tewahedo_Church

I've just finished reading Reliquary by Preston & Child, and waiting for Cabinet of Curioisities to come through the post...Hurry up, Amazon!!

Right now I'm reading

The Country Kitchen 1850- by Americana Review

The Book of Garden Wisdom- which is a collection of wisdom from Farmers Almanac

Bringers of Death- which is a collection of Warhammer 40k stories.

and the Vampire Diaries series again since the last one came out recently.

I've just finished reading Reliquary by Preston & Child, and waiting for Cabinet of Curioisities to come through the post...Hurry up, Amazon!!

Cabinet of Curiosities is very good. Reliquary held me spellbound. Couldn't put it down. That book gave me as much of the creeps as anything Stephen King ever wrote. It's one of my all time favorites.

The homeless packs do exist from everything I've been able to find about it. A city under the city. Nothing about anything else being real.

No spoilers please. ;)

Edited by susieice

I just bought and read (in one day!) The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. Its a damn good read as it's all true!!!!

:wub: this book named The Romantic Germans where there are some stories by Hoffmann and Novalis

i have currently dropped everything on my reading list and have started reading a very iteresting book, which is in simple language for a layman like me.

The Pyramid Builders of Ancient Egypt: Modern Investigation of Pharaoh's Workforce -by Dr. A. Rosalie David

The best portion of the book, so far i have read in it, is the historicaL background of Egypt and the Pyramids. its rxplained in such simple language.

i recommend it for all.

Edited by Space_Man_Spiff

I've read that book and also enjoyed it, Spiff. It was very interesting, especially reading about the excavations at Kahun, the first state-planned village discovered from pharaonic Egypt.

Yesterday I picked up a couple more of Lincoln Child's Jack Reacher novels, Nothing to Lose and The Hard Way. I started reading Nothing to Lose last night and, true to form, found it extremely difficult to put down. Kept me up quite late. By this point I have to think I've read nearly all of the Jack Reacher stories, but I'm not positive. I'm not even sure in which order they were written, not that it matters: each is more or less a stand-alone story.

On the historical side I'm also reading Jean-Jacques Glassner's The Invention of Cuneiform: Writing in Sumer. It's not exactly the most lively work of history I've read but lots of information, and quite a bit of detail on find-sites and analyses of the emergence of cuneiform in Mesopotamia.

Editing to add a link to Glassner's book on cuneiform, which I forgot to do, so here it is: LINK. I won't bother with links to the Jack Reacher novels because they're available at practically every standard book store.

Edited by kmt_sesh

I've read that book and also enjoyed it, Spiff. It was very interesting, especially reading about the excavations at Kahun, the first state-planned village discovered from pharaonic Egypt.

Yesterday I picked up a couple more of Lincoln Child's Jack Reacher novels, Nothing to Lose and The Hard Way. I started reading Nothing to Lose last night and, true to form, found it extremely difficult to put down. Kept me up quite late. By this point I have to think I've read nearly all of the Jack Reacher stories, but I'm not positive. I'm not even sure in which order they were written, not that it matters: each is more or less a stand-alone story.

On the historical side I'm also reading Jean-Jacques Glassner's The Invention of Cuneiform: Writing in Sumer. It's not exactly the most lively work of history I've read but lots of information, and quite a bit of detail on find-sites and analyses of the emergence of cuneiform in Mesopotamia.

Glassners's book is important if you ever want to understand cuneiform because just as important to understand the writing it is to understand its history. Generally can help you out of a bind with ill formed words.

BTW, did you shell out the $200 or did you get it from a library?

Glassners's book is important if you ever want to understand cuneiform because just as important to understand the writing it is to understand its history. Generally can help you out of a bind with ill formed words.

BTW, did you shell out the $200 or did you get it from a library?

Edit, did not know they had it as paperback... and last time I saw the price it was like $198 or something like that. Guess I'll order my copy now too.

Edit, did not know they had it as paperback... and last time I saw the price it was like $198 or something like that. Guess I'll order my copy now too.

I don't see myself ever seriously undertaking cuneiform, questionmark. I dabbled in it once (Akkadian) but didn't last long. Damn difficult stuff. I'll stick with Egyptian hieroglyphs, but I'm also just starting to look at Attic Greek. LOL I've been saying that for a while now, actually. I need more time for these pursuits, dammit!

But even if I don't try to learn cuneiform, I always remain interested in how the script functioned and how it was adapted by the various cultures that employed it. I bought Glassner's book because I thought it might be interesting to go into more detail about the very origins of the script.

LOL No, I would not pay $200 for this book. I didn't know the hard-cover version even cost that much. I bought the paperback version at the Oriental Institute book shop some time ago, and only recently got around to start reading it.