Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist Movie Curse

JostaX014

Most of them died of fairly natural causes, some even living for 20 years after the films had been released. And given the amount of people that work on a film of this size (all the crew etc) a handful of deaths over the course of 20-odd years isn't conclusive of anything.

• Like 1

The movie "Gone With The Wind" is even more cursed! Every person associated with that movie has died...

Also, your claim of "a curse" being confirmed by snopes is misleading. The actual claim is:

A number of deaths have occured among the cast of the Poltergeist trilogy of films.

There is huge difference between a few deaths over the entire cast of three movies, and the confirmation of "a curse".

• Like 1

Quick answer - no (there are no such things as curses by the anyway).

Skeptoid has done several good podcasts on Hollywood Myths and covers the "Poltergeist Curse" in one of them. As was said above, there is no evidence that any deaths or accidents involving individuals from the movie happened at any greater rate than the general population.

Personally I think the whole thing was driven by the highly publicized death of the little girl - unusual yes, but children die every day.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

So, I was watching Poltergeist tonight on Encore HD. I haven't seen the film in a very long time. According to my DVR @ 21:01, when Craig T. Nelson is leaving his kid's room, you can see a poser, above the son's bed. It looks had drawn and it's for Super Bowl XII, 1988. That was February 1st. Wikipedia says she died on January 31st some say February 1st. I thought it was extremely eerie. I do not know what this is, but thought it was unsettling. This is a picture of it on my HD TV.

20120102190817221.jpg

Edited by gnslgr

So, I was watching Poltergeist tonight on Encore HD. I haven't seen the film in a very long time. According to my DVR @ 21:01, when Craig T. Nelson is leaving his kid's room, you can see a poser, above the son's bed. It looks had drawn and it's for Super Bowl XII, 1988. That was February 1st. Wikipedia says she died on January 31st some say February 1st. I thought it was extremely eerie. I do not know what this is, but thought it was unsettling. This is a picture of it on my HD TV.

20120102190817221.jpg

Super Bowl XXII was played on January 31, 1988 (you say XII in your post, but I'm assuming you mean XXII).

Heather O'Rourke died during surgery to repair an acute bowel obstruction complicated by septic shock on February 1, 1988. She had been suffering from complications due to the obstruction (misdiagnosed as Crohns Disease) for the entire year prior.

A coincidence yes, but don't really see anything beyond that. I'm sure there are folks with much closer ties to that Super Bowl who passed away on the 31st.

"1982: Vic Morrow, actor, was decapitated by a helicopter blade during filming of Twilight Zone: The Movie. Two child actors were also killed; Myca Dinh Le, who was decapitated, and Renee Shin-Yi Chen, who was crushed"

From google:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought this was one of the most interesting articles on snopes.com. ^^

People die. You can associate the "movie-curse" to any number of films; off-hand, I can think of quite a few.

• 1 year later...

*shrugs* most of these myths are created by dull boring ppl that have too much time on their hands...

Just my opinion