Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do online ouija boards work?

StarGateAtlantis

So this is a very basic explanation of what is called scripting.

http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/ouija/ is a script based code that responds to certain wording or phrases. This site is acutally very simple in it's coding. Below you see the scripted responses.

// Lists of responses by category.

var none = new Array("ask", "ask me", "i am here", "fear not", "speak",

"speak to me", "i hear", "i await");

var days = new Array("sunday", "monday", "tuesday", "wednesday", "thursday",

"friday", "saturday");

var months = new Array("january", "february", "march", "april", "may", "june",

"july", "august", "september", "october", "november",

"december");

var seasons = new Array("spring", "summer", "fall", "winter");

var times = new Array("never", "soon", "very soon", "tomorrow", "next week",

"not now", "later", "in time", "not yet", "midnight",

"at the proper time", "during the day", "at night");

var people = new Array("a friend", "a stranger", "yourself", "no one",

"an associate", "one to be feared", "a liar",

"an imposter", "one unknown", "some one familiar",

"one dear", "unseen hands", "a trusted one", "an enemy",

"one close", "an old friend", "one from your past");

var places = new Array("far away", "close", "very near", "someplace new",

"not here", "at a crossroads", "a familiar place",

"near water", "location unknown", "a dark place");

var other = new Array("cannot say", "cannot tell", "unknown", "ask later",

"not known", "not seen", "leave me now", "maybe later",

"future hazy", "too dark", "not clear", "unclear");

When I typed hello, it responded with unclear, the last word of the script.

Online Ouija boards don't work. When using a Ouija board, spirits use the people using it's energy to move the planchette. Online Ouija boards have answers already built into it.

Except again, the ideomotor effect has been proven and an explanation has been posted by video on this thread.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yea online ouija boards work about as good as online toilet paper.

This response comparing online ouija boards to online toilet paper made me laugh out loud.

Or is it just meant to be a game and not work like the real boards since its only done on computer screen?

Here's one I wrote a decade ago. It's not pre-programmed it just uses the mouse as a planchette.

• 2 weeks later...

Except again, the ideomotor effect has been proven and an explanation has been posted by video on this thread.

Except that none of these proven "ideomotor effect" are intelligence responses

Edited by FlyingAngel

Except that none of these proven "ideomotor effect" are intelligence responses

Yes they are. When using an actual Ouija board, unless the person is blindfolded (and it will NOT work that way because of the effect) the answers are all coherent.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/ideomotor.html That link has a very detailed explanation and tells how old the effect actually is and that it effects more than just the Ouija.

• Like 1

Yes they are. When using an actual Ouija board, unless the person is blindfolded (and it will NOT work that way because of the effect) the answers are all coherent.

http://www.quackwatc.../ideomotor.html That link has a very detailed explanation and tells how old the effect actually is and that it effects more than just the Ouija.

In fact, it's not that it doesn't work at all. It's still give gibberish words and the move speed is much slower because blindfolded people put too much pressure on the glass.

People simply studied the event only on the surface, there're lots of questions marks left behind. For example:

- Why the board works on some people perfectly, smoothly, while on some people only give gibberish words or not work at all. We all have a subconsious right? How come?

- Sometime, the glass suddenly moves to the corner of the board, making a triangle shape or even a perfect circle in the middle of the board repeatedly. How come?

- It's doesn't work automatically but has to wait like 5-10 mins at the beginning for it to work. Once "engaged", removing your fingers do not break the "link", put your fingers on it works again. How come?

- Most of the time not work alone?

In fact, it's not that it doesn't work at all. It's still give gibberish words and the move speed is much slower because blindfolded people put too much pressure on the glass.

People simply studied the event only on the surface, there're lots of questions marks left behind. For example:

- Why the board works on some people perfectly, smoothly, while on some people only give gibberish words or not work at all. We all have a subconsious right? How come?

- Sometime, the glass suddenly moves to the corner of the board, making a triangle shape or even a perfect circle in the middle of the board repeatedly. How come?

- It's doesn't work automatically but has to wait like 5-10 mins at the beginning for it to work. Once "engaged", removing your fingers do not break the "link", put your fingers on it works again. How come?

- Most of the time not work alone?

Because people LIE.

• Like 1

Because people LIE.

Normally, if someone else claim that, I'll be skeptical. But I participated in the sessions, saw with my own eyes.

Normally, if someone else claim that, I'll be skeptical. But I participated in the sessions, saw with my own eyes.

Yes but you can see what you want to see. it's called denial.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

Yes but you can see what you want to see. it's called denial.

So you're saying that the glass moved to the corner of the board and make a triangle shape repeatedly if because I want to see a triangle shape out of my mind?? Explain.

I wasn't there to see it, it's like me saying, explain to my why my grandmother sneezed when i said my grandfathers name and dust of his face appeared in the air for a minute.

• Like 1

http://www.quackwatc.../ideomotor.html That link has a very detailed explanation and tells how old the effect actually is and that it effects more than just the Ouija.

Table turning. That's what it's called. When I was a youngster, I know someone who organised a table turning experiment with myself and a bunch of others based on something he'd seen on a TV show. I haven't given it any thought for years and didn't even know it had a name.

It's quite a freaky thing to take part in. You genuinely don't know you are unconsciously moving the table. At one stage the table began to tilt and we thought it had risen off the floor and was levitating.

Thanks for the link. It brings back memories.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

"Do online ouija boards work?"

Sure they do, as long as it eventually involves giving your money to them.

Nein, ghosts can't communicate through electronic devices. They can disrupt electricity in electrical devices. I do think regular Ouija Boards work though, but it's a bad idea to use them since you are freely allowing a ghost in your house and easily become haunted.